“Appalling service, appalling staff.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Queen's Hotel

You added Queen's Hotel to your Saves list
Queen's Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Clarence Parade, | Southsea, Portsmouth PO5 3LJ, England   |
Special Offer
Book Direct-10% Discount
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
There
“Appalling service, appalling staff.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

The worst hotel I have stayed in. They charged me for a sea view room, despite not staying in one, then argued that they had charged me the correct rate for the room. This despite the bill they presented me with clearly stating "Sea View Room". Also charged me extra for breakfast, and again argued that this was correct, despite producing my original confirmation stating "Breakfast included". The waiter got our food order wrong, the receptionists are rude and the barman could barely disguise his utter contempt for anyone who had the audacity to ask him to perform his job and serve a drink. Awful, awful, awful.

• Liked — Leaving and going home
  • Disliked — Everything - RUBBISH
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We used this hotel as a stopover for a couple of nights prior to catching the ferry to France. Apparently this hotel has been recently renovated so as you step into the reception area it does look rather impressive, likewise our room. Overall our stay (me, my partner and 2 children age 4yr and 2mths) was good. we didn'nt have an evening meal in the restaurant, however we had breakfast which was fairly good and there was a variety to choose from. The negative things were the fact the room we were given was quite small considering there was four of us. Unfortunately your have to climb about 15 or 20 steps to enter the hotel which we found difficult as we had a pushchair. There is a disabled access around the back but you have to go up the steps first and into reception to get them to open the back door! Our window view was to the side of the hotel overlooking the shops, this wasn't a problem as we didn't request a sea view room. We found all the staff very friendly and helpful. We also feel the location is good as you can get a bus just outside the hotel into the shopping areas if neccessary and it's only a few minutes walk to Clarence Pier. Would we use this hotel again? Probably.

• Liked — Friendliness and helpfulness of the staff
  • Disliked — The steps you have to climb to get into the hotel
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

We have just returned from Portsmouth having spent one night, last Friday, at the Queens Hotel and have to say I was more than happy with our choice. Check-in was dealt with promptly and efficiently. Having mistakenly paid £5 to park, the money was refunded immediately.
Four of us stayed at the Queens. One of the rooms was quite small but with a massive bed and the other room was enormous - same price for both, overlooking the Solent.
We ate in the restaurant that evening and the food and service was first class, the waiters being very attentive. The buffet breakfast was of a very good standard with plenty of choice. Once again, even though it was quite busy, the waiters were very attentive asking if we required more tea/coffee or remove used plates etc.
I can't think of anything negative to say about The Queens Hotel. I am sure we will receive the same service when we return in the future.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — One of the rooms was a little on the small side
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Leicester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

From Tripadvisor my wife & I knew the Queen's Hotel was not going to be excellent, but we also knew it had just been refurbished, has a perfect location and we were going to stay for only 3 days, so we took a risk. My direct telephone booking was well handled, as was check-in. The large car park was almost full, as was the hotel. So far, so good. The lift ride to the room was an adventure, because large areas of the hotel have not been refurbished, least of all the lift. The room was, as expected, small and we had to sidle past the end of the bed, being careful not to bang into the flat-screen TV, to get from one side of the room to the other (where the window was broken). My first task was to try to close the corridor windows outside our door. Untouched since 1905, when the hotel was built, they were ajar, letting in the ferocious noise of the refrigeration equipment in the well of the hotel. Breakfast was poor: a sad buffet and instant coffee. So, we cancelled two days' breakfast and were given a refund by a charming Greek receptionist. Charming or not, we shall not stay there again, however, because (I have not told my wife this yet) as I was walking downstairs in the morning, I saw a cleaner using a guest towel to clean the toilet in a room below ours. That just sums up how badly this hotel is managed.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The poor management
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

Stayed last weekend, went with a friend. Booked two singles. Everything was ready when we arrived on Friday evening, just a quick signature. Was asked if I wanted a newspaper for the morning, usually complimentary, but added to my bill on checkout.
Rooms are newly decorated and clean and functional. Do not bring a cat though, swinging room is at a premium. Breakfast is a buffet affair and was excellent, service superb. Location is excellent for the historic dockyard, HMS Victory, Mary Rose, etc. Gun Wharf Quays nearby as well for restaurants and shopping. Best restaurant on the south coast is nearby, Montparnasse restaurant on Palmerston Road, 2 minute walk from hotel.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Queens Hotel as did lots of friends as we were attending a wedding, the reception of which was also held here.
We had a recently refurbished room with a lovely sea view. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very spacious with a nice shower and bath.
The reception was held in one of the main rooms and the food, a buffet for 100 people, was actually very nice. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful at all times. When I retired I ordered a club sandwich which came promptly and was delicious and reasonably priced. Breakfast wasn’t quite as good (no scrambled egg, hash browns or veggie options) but other than that – a great experience.

• Liked — The main hall in the hotel has a beautiful ceiling
  • Disliked — the TV in the room was small
  • Stayed April 2008
Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one week on a work conference in Portsmouth.

The hotel itself is on the seafront and in Southsea which is quite a good area. I was staying with several colleagues and saw approximately 7-8 of the rooms, which varied considerably in size. However, the hotel has been renovated since we stayed there last year and all the rooms and bathrooms are modern, clean and simple. The bar downstairs has also been renovated - though small, it is nice enough for a quick drink.

There were some problems with our stay, the window in my room was very draughty, when I reported this to reception I came back later to find that it had been 'fixed' using duct tape - used basically to seal the window. I do hope that they attempt to fix this more permanently, as clearly this is not an ideal solution and it would be a shame for other guests to have to deal with this.

As with some other hotels I've stayed in, the water pressure in the showers left a lot to be desired and the hallways and rooms were unbearably hot.

However, the rooms were well serviced and cleaned each day, so no problems on that respect. I often find some minor problems with British hotels and as such, cleanliness usually sways my judgement. On cleanliness, I felt that this hotel did a very good job and staff were also very polite.

The breakfast was ok, decent selection of hot and cold, though could easily be improved with a better selection of fresh fruit and better service to the tables i.e. not having to queue to make your own toast.

Other than this, I did not eat at the hotel - some colleagues had lunch which they informed me was pretty mediocre so I didn't bother. Judging by the other reviews on this website, this might be an area where the hotel has a bit of a problem. However, there are plenty of restaurants on the road adjacent and in nearby in Southsea. Also a taxi to Gunwharf where there are plenty of nice eateries is pretty cheap - a good choice for us as there are plenty of bars there too. There's a free phone for the biggest local taxi firm in reception.

Overall I would probably stay at this hotel again. It's a reasonable hotel in a pretty good location and for the price it's very decent. Hopefully, they will iron out any problems they are having, and certainly the building is lovely. Try to bag a room with a balcony!

• Liked — Cleanliness.
  • Disliked — Temperature.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Queen's Hotel? Share your experiences!