“Exceeded Expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Portsmouth Park Hotel

You added Portsmouth Park Hotel to your Saves list
Portsmouth Park Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eastern Road | Farlington, Portsmouth PO6 1UN, England (Formerly Hilton Portsmouth)   |
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Exceeded Expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Used the hotel for a work related overnighter. Given the budget I was working to and the proximity to the main road into Portsmouth my expectations were guardedly modest. Whilst the hotel is going through a programme of refurbishment, what I didn't expect was;
A great night sleep with an extremely comfortable mattress, a large spacious room which was very quiet and collectively genuinely attentive and sincere staff. Very much recommended for those business types doing the inevitable shuttle trips.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Portsmouth Park whilst on business and it provided an acceptable overnight stay in a handy location at a market rate price. Room was clean and had the required facilities, good breakfast but evening meal choices (in bar area) were limited to start with and much of these were not available leaving very few options

Room Tip: Side or rear as close to major roads
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here on the 13th April prior o travelling on Brittany Ferries to Santander as e could leave our car in the car park whilst we were away. The staff in he hotel are the most helpful efficient and friendliest yet very professional staff we have encountered n any hotel we have stayed at. Th rooms are clean and well appointed though badly in need of the refurbishment which should have been started but is to start in May we were informed.The beds however are extremely hard. and uncomfortable But the price we paid offered excellent value for money and it included breakfast. We took the bus into Portsmouth the bus stop is conveniently placed just by the hotel and enjoyed an interestin day at Historic Portsmouth and a lovely meal waterside at Gun Wharf quays. we will definetely stay here when we return to Spain later in the year..

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Well below is a copy of the email i sent to the manager.
(I would also like to add that the walls are so thin and the neighbours next to us had no consideration either as they played music and loud talking till 4am). This place seems to attract party animals.
To whom it may concern,

I refer to my recent stay at your hotel. Please find my booking attached.

Firstly, I was rather disappointed on arrival that I had to wait for over half an hour to be seen to so I could check in. After a 4 hour drive I wanted to check in and freshen up and not stand around having to wait for a member of staff to show up. I even strolled over to the bar area and surprise, nobody there either. I walked back to the reception desk and stood there like a right lemon, waiting, waiting and more waiting.

Finally , a member of staff arrived. I see her serving food and she spots me. She runs over and apologises for the wait.
She didn't ask how long I had been waiting for. I told her I have come to check in. She said I have a twin room book for you. I said "No, I don't, I specifically booked a double and even telephoned to check". Her response was "Well, I'm afraid booking.com don't give you the option to choose if you wish to have a double or a twin. They don't specify so when the email comes through we put you in whatever is available".
At this point I am tired and getting annoyed. So, I searched for the confirmation email on my iphone that I received from booking.com and there it was clearly stating "double room" . I showed her the email and told her I even booked it myself online and it DID give me the option to choose twin or double and the fact that I called on the morning of my arrival to confirm all is well and that you have my booking for a double room and gave them a time when I would be due for arrival. All was confirmed.
This meant I had to wait even longer for her to find me an empty room with double bed available.
When I checked in she just gave me my room key. She didn't explain where everything was or any procedures like what time breakfast is between etc. I had to ask all these questions myself. Seemed like she was eager to get away as she had tables to serve etc!! It wasn't a particular warm welcome that's for sure.

I checked in to my room, freshened up and went downstairs to the bar area. Upon asking for a drink I had to wait 20 mins before somebody eventually appeared at the bar. I asked if there was a wine menu I could look at. He disappeared again and reappeared 5 mins later and served somebody else then looked at me and said "Yes please, what can I get you" I said "I'm still waiting for the wine menu". I eventually received it and he stood staring at me waiting for me to chose. I said to him "Whilst I am choosing could you get my partner a pint of Guinness". He explained you don't do Guinness by draft only can. My partner said "That's fine". I chose my wine and paid up but he served me white wine with no ice bucket and I had to ask for a glass and take the top off my own wine. The Guinness was awful as the machine to mixed the drink wasn't working. After several attempts we gave up and settled for a "not so very nice Guinness".
I asked for the bar menu and ordered food. It arrived quick, tasted great but no cutlery to eat it with. I asked for it but never received it. Was only when he came to collect the empty plate that I told him I'm still waiting for the cutlery and he looked and said "oh, did you not get any?"

We returned to the room at 11pm as we had a big day ahead of us involving a family funeral. What happened after was totally not expected. I was in bed by 11:30 and just after 1am we got awoken by loud mouth behaviour in the corridors and drunks kicking the doors along the corridor and shouting and knocking on all the doors. This continued for some time up till 4am . I was absolutely fuming. I called reception "no answer", called again and again. In the end I went down in my dressing gown, nobody to be seen apart from drunks in the bar as it was open till 2am. Just after 2am there was more outrageous behaviour of shouting and door slamming and girls singing in the corridor. I guess it was a mixture of young people from the bar down stairs and others strolling in from nightclubs. But to think this continued till 4am and nobody done anything about it. No staff about, no security to be seen, nothing. I eventually got to sleep just after 4am in a very uncomfortable bed. But where I was so tired I was too tired to even make it for breakfast. I will be surprised if anybody else sleeping on my floor made it for breakfast either. Then to top it all off, I go to have a shower to wake up and get ready for the funeral and the shower does not work. At this point I am fuming and had to resort to having a wash at the sink and leaving my hair unwashed!!!!
We checked out the room early as I had a sneaky suspicion I would be waiting a long time to check out. I was right!! There was a basket at the desk with a note saying "If you are checking out please leave key card and room number in the basket". But I had a small bar bill to settle and I wanted to complain. So 40 minutes later someone finally turns up to reception and that's only because I collared the cleaner asking her if there was anybody available at reception. Eventually a lady arrived saying "sorry to keep you waiting". There were a few others waiting too and they did not look happy. I settled my bill and asked to speak with someone and she said she would find someone after she had dealt with the other customers but she disappeared and left me and one other waiting for over 15 further minutes which by then I had to leave just so we would not be late for the funeral. I will never know if she did return back to reception with somebody for me to speak too.

All in all I am very disappointed and being in early stages of a refurbishment is no excuse. At a difficult time this experience made it far worse and not at all enjoyable or welcoming plus I only had 5 hours sleep and a long drive back.

I would like to hear back from the manager of your complaint department and wish to seek fair compensation. I will not be visiting the area again at any point in the near future and if I do I will most certainly not be staying with yourselves even if it is taken over by another company.

I look forward to hearing back from you

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Cardiff UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I have come home today after a 2 night stay in the Portsmouth Park Hotel. What an excellent hotel, very comfortable, we had a suite room 171. The room was cleaned and checked daily. The only gripe I would personally have is the bed was a bit hard, but that is a personal preference. The breakfast was excellent, this is complimentary, but plenty of it. From juice, cereals, fresh fruit, toast, tea, coffee, sausages, bacon, scrambled egg, beans and hash browns. A certain filler on both mornings. The only thing I would advise is even though there is a bus stop outside (catch 21 to and from hotel), it is a bit out of Portsmouth itself and if you need a taxi at night it cost us £13.50 back to the hotel from the Gunwharf. All in all though the staff can't do enough for you and are very friendly. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Portsmouth Park Hotel. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in Portsmouth visiting the sights in the area and found our breakfast offering plentiful.

On behalf of the entire staff members, I would like to say thank you and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Well I don't think there really needs to be any review when they physically lock sign posted fire exits at night after 11pm.

When I questioned the night manager about this his response was simply " there are other fire exits that way " and pointed to a distant corner.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear James G,

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to make you aware that our emergency doors are locked for protection and security to all our in House guests however this is only locked for external access! Internally, with anyone approaching the main entrance doors, these will open automatically via the sensor unit. I would also like to point out that the main exit door is fitted with an access control which automatically opens in the event of any Alarms sounding for Health and Safety compliance.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Crawley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were impressed by the modern and stylish reception. The staff were so welcoming, kind and helpful. We stayed in the Plaza Suite a lovely room with a large comfy bed, bath & shower, toiletries, hair dryer, scales, fan, safe, ironing board, big telly etc. The wifi was free, quick & we could connect three devices :-). Our boys had an interconnecting room with proper beds which made them happy. We had a yummy Mexican wedges and cheesy chips which were fresh, hot and reasonably priced. After a good nights sleep the breakfast was plentiful and had everything we wanted and more. The hotel was amazing value for money and we will definitely be back, maybe even use the gym next time!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to say a big thank you for giving such a well detailed review of the Portsmouth Park Hotel. As you may be aware we will be going through a multimillion Pound refurbishment which will enhance the look of our public area and guest bedrooms.

We do look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Deputy General Manager

Been to Portsmouth Park Hotel? Share your experiences!