Don't be deceived by the dreary appearance of this hotel - it's actually really quite pleasant inside. There is a welcoming open plan reception area with a bar and lounge and a breakfast restaurant to the rear. Other facilities include a gym and business center (sic) but you probably already know that from looking at the website.
The rooms are spacious and clean with a decent sized en-suite. Tea and coffee facilities are available and I had possibly the largest TV I've ever seen in a hotel room dominating one corner. The wifi is free, stable (always a plus), and has a couple of different speed tiers available for a nominal cost.
The only real negative we experienced was our evening meal in the bar area. The food was simply substandard. A few of us ordered the roast beef dinner in gravy and the roast potatoes were undercooked. There was also a possible gravy shortage going on that we didn't know about. My colleague's chilli was also overcooked and dry. That said, the staff were very apologetic and were keen to make amends.
So, a word of advice. There is a Sainsbury's about 10 minutes' walk. The cafe there is very reasonably priced and has a limited but varied menu. Alternatively, buy a load of food and wine and picnic in your room. You'll have a much more satisfying and cheaper dining experience.
I have to add that by far the best thing about this hotel were the staff. They really could not do enough to make us feel welcome. Even in the face of the obvious dissatisfaction with the meal they were going above and beyond to correct the issue.
To summarise; stay here by all means - just dine elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the 3-star Portsmouth Park Hotel, offering comfortable accommodation just a ten minute drive from the Historic Dockyard, home to the Lord Nelson's HMS Victory, and Portsmouth's thriving city centre. Gunwharf Quays is a fantastic location to enjoy great shopping and dining and the famous Spinnaker Tower can be seen from miles around. Southampton Airport is just 30 minutes away by car. Paulton's Park, home to Peppa Pig World, is just 30 minutes away. Formerly a branded hotel, our Portsmouth hotel continues to offer a friendly welcome, comfortable accommodation and a convenient location for business and leisure guests. Our guests can enjoy great facilities including evening meals and a licensed bar. All of our rates include breakfast so our guests wake up from a great night's sleep and enjoy a tasty and filling start to their day. We also offer free Wi-Fi and free car parking. Our handy gym is located just off Reception so there's no need to skip out on your exercise regime (unless you're on holiday, in which case it's mandatory!). Portsmouth Park Hotel is also home to comfortable and professional conference rooms, ideal for meetings of all sizes. We have big plans for Portsmouth Park Hotel and will be embarking on a multi-million pound programme of refurbishment from Spring 2015. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Portsmouth Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Portsmouth Hotel Portsmouth
- Hilton International Portsmouth
- Portsmouth Hilton International