“Pleasant hotel - great staff - poor food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Portsmouth Park Hotel

You added Portsmouth Park Hotel to your Saves list
Portsmouth Park Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Eastern Road | Farlington, Portsmouth PO6 1UN, England (Formerly Hilton Portsmouth)   |
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Portland, Maine
“Pleasant hotel - great staff - poor food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Don't be deceived by the dreary appearance of this hotel - it's actually really quite pleasant inside. There is a welcoming open plan reception area with a bar and lounge and a breakfast restaurant to the rear. Other facilities include a gym and business center (sic) but you probably already know that from looking at the website.

The rooms are spacious and clean with a decent sized en-suite. Tea and coffee facilities are available and I had possibly the largest TV I've ever seen in a hotel room dominating one corner. The wifi is free, stable (always a plus), and has a couple of different speed tiers available for a nominal cost.

The only real negative we experienced was our evening meal in the bar area. The food was simply substandard. A few of us ordered the roast beef dinner in gravy and the roast potatoes were undercooked. There was also a possible gravy shortage going on that we didn't know about. My colleague's chilli was also overcooked and dry. That said, the staff were very apologetic and were keen to make amends.

So, a word of advice. There is a Sainsbury's about 10 minutes' walk. The cafe there is very reasonably priced and has a limited but varied menu. Alternatively, buy a load of food and wine and picnic in your room. You'll have a much more satisfying and cheaper dining experience.

I have to add that by far the best thing about this hotel were the staff. They really could not do enough to make us feel welcome. Even in the face of the obvious dissatisfaction with the meal they were going above and beyond to correct the issue.

To summarise; stay here by all means - just dine elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Lesley-Ann C, Guest Relations Manager at Portsmouth Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Carl B,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at Portsmouth Park Hotel.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding the team, and while I regret that you were disappointed with your meals I am glad that they tried to address this. I'll certainly share your comments with the team to ensure that we identify opportunities to improve.

I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that our team will be remaining with us while we undergo our transformation and relaunch as Holiday Inn Express. I'm also pleased to confirm that we will be investing in making some changes to the exterior of the hotel to modernise and improve the appearance!

I hope that we will welcome you back to our hotel again in the future and thank you for your recommendation.

Best regards,

Lesley-Ann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Wonderful hotel excellent location. staff are very friendly hotel is a very clean one. Wonderful rooms very spacious.like the gym and wifi the Breakfast was complimentary and very nice everything to choose from and plentiful. Would stay here again no questions asked.

Mr Rayner Aylesbury bucks

• Stayed November 2014
Lesley-Ann C, Guest Relations Manager at Portsmouth Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

It is always a joy for us to receive a 5-star review, so thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! The team at Portsmouth Park Hotel are committed to delivering a great experience for our guests and it is wonderful to know that they achieved their goal.

I'm delighted that you would happily return and we would love to welcome you back on your next visit to Portsmouth.

Best wishes,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This used to be a Hilton last time I stayed (over a year ago) - This time no restaurant and limited facilities.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful - at £80bb you expect a hotel to provide as a minimum a restaurant - the bar food offered was very very average
Rooms are very tired but clean
The hotel is in a good location close to the coast and Isle of Wight ferries which I needed
I think it is transitioning to a holiday inn - which might or might not be a good thing - good if the prices come down - bad if they dont

Dear Robert J,

Thank you for taking the time share your thoughts on your recent experience. We value all feedback as it allows us to identify areas for improvement.

I am pleased to confirm that our forthcoming renovations will transform our bedrooms and I'm very pleased that you were happy with the cleanliness of your accommodation.

Following our multi-million pound refurbishment, which is now slated to begin in January 2015, we will be relaunching the hotel as a Holiday Inn Express hotel. We'll boast a contemporary design and we'll be focussing on offering great value with inclusive breakfast and free Wi-Fi throughout.

We hope to welcome you back soon and impress you with the changes!

Best wishes,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Portsmouth park hotel, staff were fantastic really friendly and helpful.Marie and Danny and charmaine were all really great with my three children who still talk about them now! Not forgetting our big warm friendly welcoming from rose at the desk! Food was a bit over priced but absolutely delicious hats off to the chef! We stayed for a week can't wait to go back and see all the changes after the refurbishment! Keep up the good work and see you in the new year!

• Stayed October 2014
Dear Misscalland,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for acknowledging the part that the team played in the enjoyment of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you and your children back in 2015 to see the results of our refurbishment!

With thanks,

Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Have stayed here twice I can only rate the staff and service as excellent. Their previous training with Hilton shines through. I only hope that Holiday Inn will keep on all the lovely staff, keep them happy and well looked after, because HI-Exp would be the looser if not. They may be spending millions on their refurbishment but I just really hope they keep similar pricing and deals on rates, so we can afford to keep using. There is a lot of competition in Portsmouth and all other hotels much closer or right in the city & historic centre, so it needs to stay competitive. But location is brilliant with easy access to M27.

This is a medium to large hotel with a really friendly ambience. The bar and food in the evening made it worth staying in for a couple of nights of our 3 night stay, and unlike a lot of similar places its food and drink is not overpriced. Some evenings a special which includes a drink, or a desert.

The corridors and rooms although dated are spotless, we had everything we needed, hence we keep returning. I felt the beds were actually comfy and not too hard or too soft, it also had a topper, yes they can squeak a bit but I just pulled it away from headboard a bit and it was then fine. They were Hilton hotel beds which have always been excellent. (I'm difficult to please with back issues and cannot get a good night sleep on a Premier Inn bed as they are so hard).

For value for money you just cannot beat this place, the rate includes an ample breakfast which is an absolute bonus. Holiday Inn take note - please don't let it change too much or become too expensive !

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Lesley-Ann C, Guest Relations Manager at Portsmouth Park Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments and for your repeat business!

At Portsmouth Park Hotel, and in our future incarnation as Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth Park, our number one priority is and will be customer service. We really value our team and the impact that they can have on a guest's experience and it is great to see that the hard work put into training and supporting the team is paying off!

I do hope that you will return to visit us again in the future and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the new look and the great value it represents. We will continue to offer rates including breakfast and free Wi-Fi and we'll have a fantastic, new, modern look which I'm sure you'll love.

We hope to welcome you back in the future,

Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

i use this hotel for work for meetings and it is always organised, mtg room always clean, tidy and set up as requested.
The food is always fantastic
the staff are helpful, friendly and go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect.
so much better than when this was a hilton hotel
Carolyn

Dear Carolyn,

Many thanks for your kind words and for your continued support of our hotel.

As I'm sure you're aware, we've got some big plans for the hotel and I hope that you'll continue to be impressed as we unveil our new look!

With thanks,

northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

The hotel was very clean, and the room very spacious the breakfast was very nice and plenty of choice, my only negative point was the bed in the room was very hard and sqeaked every time you moved, and it appeared a lot of the rooms had this problem as all I heard all night was either my bed or other beds sqeaking. I know this hotel is under going refurbishment for the 01.12.14 so if they invested in some new beds I would recommend this hotel, good value for money

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Lesley-Ann C, Guest Relations Manager at Portsmouth Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Portsmouth Park Hotel and for taking the time to share your review.

I'm very pleased to know that you considered your stay to be good value for money and can confirm that we will indeed be getting new beds as part of our refurbishment. I'm sorry that you didn't feel the comfort of the bed matched the service and quality you experience elsewhere in the hotel but I hope that the forthcoming renovation will encourage you to return when you next visit Portsmouth.

Best regards,

Lesley-Ann

Been to Portsmouth Park Hotel? Share your experiences!