“City Break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Budget Portsmouth

You added Ibis Budget Portsmouth to your Saves list
Ibis Budget Portsmouth
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Pompey Centre | Fratton Way, Portsmouth PO4 8SL, England (Formerly Etap Hotel Portsmouth)   |
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Bristol, United Kingdom
“City Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as a base to go to the docks. There was a bus stop about 50 meters away which took us straight to the docks and the main shopping area. The hotel was very clean although basic it was very comfortable and the staff were very helpful, good value for the money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
IbisBudgetPortsmouth, Management Team at Ibis Budget Portsmouth, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
chester, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Easy to find,clean and friendly, restaurants petrol and shops nearby. Very clean and friendly staff and a good quiet nights sleep.Facilities for a quick breakfast before channel hopping excellent and at a great price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We were pleased to read that your stay was a pleasant one and hope that you will have the occasion to stay with us again soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Although this hotel served its purpose of being a cheap stopover prior to a morning ferry, there were a couple of things about it that even by the standards of a basic hotel, which I was fully prepared for, made it a no-go for any possible return and having since stayed in the same brand in France, I feel somewhat vindicated in stating my views as I can compare it against its equivalent abroad. Firstly the floor in the room was a cold, cheap lino sort of texture which gave a depressing cell-like feel to the room; the shower is almost in the bedroom separated only by a glass door which water permeated freely and the toilet, which was separate from the shower, had the same concrete like floor with the sink in the bedroom, adding to the effect of a prison cell. The window looked out onto a brick wall. We were on the ground floor and quite close to reception where at past 1am I could hear laughing and talking - not the staff's fault obviously but showed the lack of soundproofing. The double bed which I had to myself was hard and uncomfortable and I regret to say I had about 4 hours sleep at most, which ahead of a 15 hour journey to my destination in France as a foot passenger, was not very refreshing. The staff were polite but friendly would be overstating it. It was a relief therefore to find the exact same hotel in Paris had laminate flooring in the bedroom, a shower and toilet all in one with the shower well away from the door into the bedroom and a window that at least looked out onto something, even if it was a car park. I had expected very basic, i.e. No kettle, hairdryer etc., but the Ibis budget in Portsmouth was just too budget for me and I booked the one up from this for my return journey, the Ibis Portsmouth Centre, as I couldn't face the prospect of coming back from holiday to that. I hope that the fact I am staying in an Ibis budget abroad and that I will be in an Ibis hotel on my return illustrates my lack of personal aversion to Ibis per se, in fact I worked at an Ibis some 14 years ago so if anything have an affinity with the brand, but new floor in the bedroom at least, a bathroom all in one and a window with some form of view would be needed for me to consider staying at the Ibis Budget Portsmouth again.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Your feedback has been noted and your comments on the design of the room and the materials used have been taken under advisement. We appreciate your persistence with the brand in general and hope that you continue to have positive experiences with our hotels worldwide.

Best wishes
Devon, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I needed to go to Portsmouth at very short notice and this hotel was the best value for money for a chain hotel which I prefer.

It is situated near Portsmouth FC ground and a retail park with a McDonalds, KFC and a Subway. It has its own free car park or if this is full you can park at the nearby B&Q car park. I got a space in the hotel car park and was issued with a pass to put in my car.

I didn't eat at the hotel, but they have a self service cabinet with snacks, chocolate and alcohol, but at £1.20 for a regular chocolate bar and £4.95 for a very small bottle of wine, I didn't bother.

The room was clean with laminate flooring. I was on my own, so the unusual layout of the shower cabinet and sink in the room wasn't a problem. If you were travelling with children or friends it could be a problem stepping out of the shower into the room to get your towels. A simple glass brick wall could solve this.

The bed was a rock and the pillows were too big (I'm used to memory foam at home). As I had a double to myself, I folded the duvet in half and slept on that, this made it better. With Travelodge and Premier Inn offering comfortable beds, maybe this is something they need to think about.

As it was a mid-week stay there seemed to be a lot of contractors staying at the hotel, I didn't see another woman apart from the receptionist in the morning. I didn't feel unsafe though.

The free wi-fi was a bonus, you didn't need a code - just your name and email address on the sign in page.

Would I come back here? Probably yes. I would have got a much better deal if I had more notice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are pleased to read that your stay left you satisfied with the experience and to note that you would stay again. We look forward to receiving you.

Kind regards

Been to Ibis Budget Portsmouth? Share your experiences!