“Very disappointing "hotel" accomodation” 2 of 5 stars

Royal Maritime Club
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Queen Street, Portsmouth PO1 3HS, England   |
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing "hotel" accomodation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

On Wednesday 15th April my husband booked me a room for one night at The Royal Maritime Club, Portsmouth. He has stayed there a lot and so recommended it to me. At the time of booking it by telephone he also paid for my night’s stay, which was for the following night – Thursday 16th April.
I travelled there by Train so arrived an hour before the advertised official check in time being at 14.00. I asked whether I could leave my bag in a secure place (hoping they would say my room was ready) and was told I could leave my bag in a small locked room, which was fine. I was also told to come back for checking in at 14.30! When I returned at that time to do so I was asked to pay for my room, but I told them my husband had already done so and they seemed to be OK, so I wonder why they asked me to pay again? I was given a door card for room 271.
I was directed to the lift further back into the large foyer and found a very small lift, which had a maximum advertised capacity of four people. There was a long queue of people for this lift all with suitcases, so I decided to walk the stairs.
The entrance and foyer of this hotel are large and quite grand. So I had high expectations of a decent room. However, as I walked further up the beautiful thick carpets and décor changed to threadbare ones. On the second floor I walked down three corridors to find my room. The first corridor was quite modern with wood effect doors and nice coloured glass/plastic number plates on them. OK carpets and nice lined curtains. The second was a lesser quality window curtain and thinner carpets. The third corridor, where my room was, had net curtain only at the windows and threadbare carpet and old-fashioned white painted doors with metal numbers hammered on! A very basic painted corridor long overdue to be painted.
My room was a shock and I thought I had been given a Staff Quarter. Firstly the flooring was a very thin and damaged carpet it looked clean in the middle but all around the edge was ingrained with dark dirt. There was a single bed with a strip light on the wall running alongside the bed. The bed was hard and squeaked every time I moved. The pillows stank of cigarettes so obviously the previous occupant was a smoker. There was an old dining room chair in the corner with two long marks, looked like cuts running right across it and a TV on the wall. There was also a plastic shelf with a small kettle, one mug and two tea bags, two sachets of coffee, a few sachets of white sugar and a few UHT long life tubs of milk stuff. To complete the room there was a basic old wooden wardrobe and chest of drawers. There was nowhere for me to plug in a phone charger or hair dryer near the bed just the one double socket which shared the TV across the other side of the room. Also no bedroom mirror. The attached cloakroom (much too small to be called a bathroom) was disgustingly old, not maintained, unhygenic and grotty. Going in there was a broken floor tile with a piece missing; a toilet, which had the pipes showing behind, and they were very rusty. There was a sink with a small mirror above and then a very small square shower. The tiles were dirty, and had disgusting mildew, mould and grouting was awful. All very unhygienic and I decided I would be cleaner not using it! There was a window and also a electric box on the wall with a door hanging off it.
The reason for my stay was I was going to a concert that evening, and I didn’t get back until past mid-night. So I decided to just make the best of what I had to tolerate.
I didn’t get much sleep because of the stuffy unclean smelling room and the fact that the walls are paper thin so I heard the person in the next room get up at 6am and turn on the TV and shower etc.
The breakfast next morning was quite good. A few selections of individual boxed cereals, cold milk, fruit juice that seemed a bit watery, sliced bread to make toast and some individual jams and butters, plenty of nice cooked food, some croissants and very unappealing fruit in a bowl, the very black bananas were certainly not fresh. You were served tea or coffee in little silver pots. My first coffee was nice and strong the second was dishwater it was so grey and bland!
When I checked out I was asked, “was everything OK?” so I replied “no” and explained about my room. The receptionist seemed surprised and I suggested she should take a look. She asked why I hadn’t come down and complained as I could have had another room. I explained I hadn’t got in till way past midnight and couldn’t have faced then packing up and moving rooms. Also that they had a big function in that evening so I didn’t think there were any spare rooms. When she said there had been, I asked then why had I been given such an awful one in the first place? The receptionist told me the manager would be in at 12.00 and she would get her to speak to me and “see what she could do”. I said I was in Portsmouth until 12.30 so that would be good. I returned to the hotel at mid-day to be told the manager was not yet in. I sat and waited until past 12.40 but was told the manager was still not in. However the receptionist took my home phone and mobile phone numbers and said someone would contact me. It is now over a week since then and no one has been in touch.
I had been waiting to hear from the Hotel before writing this review but sadly it seems no one will be contacting me.
This place has potential and could be so nice. A lot of money has been spent in some areas and the ladies cloakroom off the foyer was very clean and modern.
There was also a very small “swimming pool” I did not see anyone using it and it looked a bit small and murky.
So if you should need a nice looking Hotel conveniently situated to HMS Nelson, the Historic Dockyard and Gunwharf Quay retail outlet, this fits the bill as it is all within walking distance. A plus is that there is free parking if you are lucky enough to get a space.
I have attached a few photos that I took of my room and I certainly don’t recommend you stay in that one!

Room Tip: Dont accept room 217
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Bar shuts at midnight. No room service. Rooms not bad but dated. Staff good. Hotel very dated. Pool very small, cant swim, bed lights didn't work. If you want a place to stay for the night with little luxury then this hotel is clean and fine.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The RMC was super, the boys would have given it 6 stars for the quantity and excellence of food. The staff were tolerant of boys running. The other guests were tolerant of the three children whooping and jumping in the pool. They loved it. The adults liked being in the heart of Portsmouth and within walking distance of the Historic dockyards. The little Nelson fan loved being there. We had a great time.

Room Tip: We were in the West wing....I think it was designated for families. The room even smelled clean.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at RMC Portsmouth from 17 to 20 April and occupied Room 327 on the third floor.
The service throughout was excellent and the staff most helpful. Our room was clean and well maintained while we were there. However the bathroom could have benefitted from a little tlc.
The food was excellent (except for the UK facination with al dente vegetables). Noteworthy was that they were better cooked after my wife made comment to the waiter after our first evening meal. Waiters and waitresses were very attentive.
The lift is small (4 persons only but quite speedy.
If we go again to Portsmouth we will have no hesitation to use these facilities again.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We came to this venue for a wedding reception. Our first impression was what a lovely old building. Very regal looking & I loved the decor. It was very clean & the staff were all friendly right from walking in the door at reception to the cleaners. It was a wonderful venue for a wedding and the ballroom looked amazing. The staff were very welcoming & friendly & well presented. Our food was superb and the silver service was perfect. Our staff serving our table was superb, he could not do enough for us. The toilets were very clean & there was plenty of loo rolls and hand towels. We had a wonderful time & this is certainly a place I would highly recommend for any reception for an occasion. Thank you to all the staff who made it such an enjoyable wedding for all the guests.

kingston upon hull, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We came here as a couple for easter weekend to visit the tank museum at Bovington and the historic dockyard in Portsmouth.
We booked a standard room, even though it was on the 2nd floor (room 204), it seemed as if it was in the basement, it was dreary looking with a small window, low ceiling, bad light, dark carpet and plain wallpaper. We went for dinner in the restaurant which is good value basic food which is served very quickly very hot.
During dinner we decided that we did not like our room and upgraded to a superior room (room 305) for £10 more per night, for our 3 day stay. This they did straight away, with no problems.
I suggest you book one of the superior rooms as the new room was really nice decoration and furnishings, much better than the standard room.
The radiator has a thermostat on it so you can have it roasting hot on the highest setting. TV is a good sized flat screen fitted to the wall opposite the bed with a remote control that is easy to operate. Double bed was two single beds pushed together with a king size duvet, but we had no problem with that, it was comfortable, and we slept well.
The bathroom has a shower which was a bit on the small side. The regulator did not work very well as the adjustment from cold to very hot was about a sixteenth of an inch turn of the knob. Saying that though water was hot, and plenty of it once you got the adjustment right.
The hotel has 16 parking places at the front and side of the hotel which are easy to access although the spaces between the cars is pretty tight. We had no problem parking at the hotel and we used the car every day. If you don't manage to get parked, the parking for the historic dockyard is literally 50 yds away, and is covered.
Breakfast is good with plenty of choice,its help yourself to full english or all the other stuff.
The hotel is very well situated only 5 mins walk to the dockyard and harbour. The gunwharf quay shopping centre is about 10 mins away and has about 20 different eateries all looking out onto the harbour.
Its very warm in the hotel and you'll only need a t-shirt. Staff are friendly and helpful. We would stay here again but only in one of the superior rooms. We enjoyed our stay.
Even though its got free WIFI could not get my laptop to connect to it or my partners tablet. My phone worked though.

Room Tip: superior room is the only one to go for
Warrington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I had planned to spend a week in Portsmouth visiting the historical naval sites. This hotel needed to have much to offer, after a tiring and irritating, stop and start, 270 miles of motorway. Fortunately, it did manage to bring down our raised heart rates with a friendly welcome and a comfortable room.

For a 2-star hotel, it was most impressive with Superior rooms as well as Standard. I think we managed to acquire the last Superior room which meant a further £10 per night over standard. The en-suite room was a little bit smaller than what we are used to at the price, but the bathroom was spacious and well-appointed with a walk-in shower. The whole was spotlessly clean. With breakfast included in the price, good food and helpful restaurant staff there were no real complaints, but first come first serve, limited parking spaces with on road parking charges, meant that the car use was limited. However, with only a couple of hundred metres' walk to the major attractions, a week without the car wouldn't be too hard to accept.

The hotel itself was a beautiful place! Originally a naval forces club, it had been converted to general use over the years, but still had a military bias. I found that, as a forces veteran myself, had I brought proof of my service record, I could have received a discount. (something to remember for our next visit). A spacious reception gave way to a large tea room with a compass mosaic on the floor, circular balconies above and crowned with a huge glass cupola. Function rooms were available and a leisure centre complete with a small pool and jacuzzi.

Our only negative comments are:
Bath towels were small and we felt our bathroom wasn't being replenished as we would expect;
We were down to our last few pieces of toilet paper when we booked out;
We weren't sure whether towels were to be changed regularly or whether we had to request it;
The shower plug hole was blocked with hair;
The cleaner on the second day was trying to clean the shower in the dark because, I assume, she had no card for the electricity switch;
A first floor room over the function room proved to be prone to noise and with the amount of events available, such as reunions, it might prove distressing. In room 112, we experienced noise from two such events;
Our windows opened on to a flat roof and were overlooked by private flats, this left us a little unsure of possible security issues.

Room Tip: Try for a room on a higher floor, though none boasts a view.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Maritime Club? Share your experiences!