“Relax in style” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Upper Slaughter
Preston
“Relax in style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Picture postcard, quaint English Country Hotel. From the moment of arrival to checking out all staff were wondefully attentive but not overbearing. Rooms were spacious and well equipped individually furnished. The restruant was of excellent quality and standard. We spent a relaxing time on the front lawn, taking afternoon tea reading papers, playing scrabble and soaking up the sunshine and lovely gardens. Strongly recommended for those who like good food, good service in a quiet country setting.Ideal for a specilal celebration.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Guest
Good heavens, you were able to soak up sunshine - that weekend was quite remarkable and well overdue, however today with hail and rain descending seems a distant memory.

We are glad you had a lovely time with us and please bring the sunshine back on your next visit.
Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We've just returned from a night away here which was a surprise birthday present for my hard-working husband. There are very many aspects of this hotel worthy of praise, but in particular some lovely staff who seemed genuinely concerned that we actually enjoyed our stay. In a stunningly attractive hotel I can honestly say that they were still the stand out feature.
The restaurant manager and his staff and the gentleman who portered for us and brought us our drinks while we sat outside were fantastic. Thank you.
Other positives? An unbelievable location, almost unreal it's so pretty. Fantastic food in the restaurant coupled with staff who were knowledgeable and professional yet able to incorporate the personal touch. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal here and the food certainly lived up to its billing.
Bedrooms: We stayed in a standard room which as you would expect was immaculately clean. Bathroom a tad on the small size. The evening turndown service brought a smile to my face it was so meticulous in its attention to detail. Someone clearly has a very good eye.
Afternoon Tea: Delightful and if you have the appetite a must! Consider sharing however, especially if you're planning on an evening meal later.
Hotel Grounds: Amazing views and public footpaths close by. Who needs a gym when you can walk ( or dare I suggest it, even run ) in such glorious countryside!
Negatives: Well let me say firstly we would return without hesitation and I would have gladly given five stars had it not been for a hiccup with our booking. In fairness it was eventually rectified and here once again I must thank the restaurant manager.
Our package included a bottle of champagne - a great way to kick off a birthday celebration and a touch of fun. It should have been in our room on arrival and wasn't. Disappointed, but not telling my other half in the hope it would appear ( it didn't! ) I later went to reception who confirmed that yes, it should have been there.
I explained that this meant the moment had been lost but could we try again in the bar when we came down for pre-dinner drinks. This was agreed.
However when we arrived and gave our name as requested - surely I thought a sign that we had been recognised and the champagne was now magically going to appear - we were merely asked what we would like to drink. Aagh! If you've ever organised a special trip for a loved one I'm sure you can understand my frustration.
More than a little annoyed now I approached reception - again.
This time the restaurant staff came to my aid - apologised profusely and upgraded the champagne. This was very kind and genuinely appreciated, but if I'm entirely honest I would have preferred the bottle in the room when we arrived as I'd anticipated. Not a disaster I know, but it almost took the edge off the day for me and as we didn't want to drink champagne with our main meal the only time then left to enjoy it was with dessert. I must be getting old as by this time it was rather late for me I'm afraid.
I mention this as a bit of advice to others who are planning similar celebrations. It may be worth your while contacting the hotel to ensure all requirements have been noted. Next time I think I will be rather more pro-active and contact the hotel in advance to clarify any special requests we may have made.
And I can honestly say, 'next time', because despite the problem we encountered the overall experience was terrific and it is simply a gorgeous hotel. On a sunny afternoon, sitting in the gardens with a glass of wine, it's a little bit of heaven.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
In all honesty we spend a lot of time looking at all of the different guest feedback we get on here and directly but we always focus heavily on what could we have done better. I am therefore very glad to get your review - a lot of our guests are visiting us for a celebration and have special requirements but I am sorry in your case we got this wrong and did not recover it well, we have learnt from this.

I am glad you will be back with us and that overall you had a terrific time here.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We have recently visited Lords of the Manor Hotel to celebrate our birthdays, this was our first visit and included the opportunity to drive all over the Cotswolds in a red E type Jaguar - Awesome! This was a complete surprise for me, I was celebrating 50 years young!
The venue was fantastic and a great opportunity to sample true English country living. All of the staff were welcoming and keen to ensure that we had everything we needed to make our stay special, including a handwritten welcome letter from the manager and complimentary champagne for both our birthdays. The food was divine, we had the taster and the Al la carte menus both with the accompanying wines - it was absolutely fantastic.
We both wish to thank the General Manager, Paul and all the staff for making our stay a very special experience. Our thanks to Simon Denman too for making a dream come true - the E type Jaguar was fabulous.
If you are looking for a relaxing retreat and in need of some serious pampering this is the place for you. We are already planning our next visit.

Dear Guest
How racey you looked in your E Type Jaguar, we did think it was your 30th Birthday however?

I am glad you had a ripping time here and you certainly looked like Lord and Lady of the Manor zipping around the place with the top down.

I hope we will see you again.
northwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

This gorgeous hotel is English hospitality at it's best. It manages to combine faultless and gracious hospitality with warmth and character. There is nothing "corporate" about it - it oozes charm and individuality without being quirky or pretentious. The food is superb (photos don't really do it flavours justice!) and all ingredients wonderfully fresh and locally sourced. Lovely home baked breads and divinely flavoured butters, chocolates and macaroons are added perfection
The rooms are lovely and there are plenty of small sitting rooms where groups of guests can socialise. For those who would like to stroll off a few calories, there are beautiful walled gardens and a delightful "Wardens way" path goes right past the property and links to many other beautiful pathways. The wonderful Staff at the hotel anticipate your every need. The hotel even has "wellies" you can borrow to spare your city shoes!
Upper Slaughter doesn't sound very nice, but the village itself is a beautiful honey coloured Cotswold delight, with a chalk stream meandering through and even a ford if you want to drive through it (though there is a bridge alternative) for the unadventurous

The ONLY criticism we have is that when we stayed on for a second night the menu remained exactly the same. So superb for a one night stay but check the menus before you book to stay longer. ENJOY!

Room Tip: This a quiet location so all of the rooms are tranquil
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review - we are glad you found the heart here. The name Upper Slaughter has often been questioned - it's meaning is muddy puddle rather than something more sinister that my staff may wish to do to me after a hard days work.

I am glad you enjoyed the walks, they really do help people unwind and build an appetite for dinner.

We hope to see you back here soon.
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We'd been to the Lords of the Manor before. It was better a few years back. I think it was the lack of a manager that I missed. Most of the staff are young and German. They are efficient but lack warmth. On arrival, we were told that we were being upgraded to a Manor room. I am slightly disabled and walk with a stick. What was the point in showing us a room that had a step staircase inside?! I asked if my car could be moved to the hotel car park, something you would expect a hotel of this quality and pricing could do. I was told, albeit politely, to do it myself! When we came down to dinner and wanted a drink in the bar/sitting room, it was full. We were moved, on our own, to another room where we sat in splendid isolation! The service was okay but not particularly warm. Perhaps, again, there was a nationality problem. The same was true in the dining room. On paying the next day there was only one receptionist on duty so I had to wait. All in all, for a hotel with this reputation and charging the prices it does, I felt let down.

Dear Guest
It is rare for us to disappoint our guests and I am sorry that in your case we did not meet or exceed your expectations. Whilst I can see that we tried to impress you with an upgrade to a Lords Bedroom admittedly with stairs, I am unsure as to why we failed to demonstrate any warmth or good hospitality to you. If I can restore our laurels with you please contact me directly.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We visited Lords of the Manor for one night to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, our second visit. It fully lived up to our memories of our wonderful first stay there in 2012 and the staff could not have been more welcoming and hospitable. The little details make it special: a handwritten note of welcome from the GM, staff seemed to know that it was our anniversary, and they don't need to ask who ordered what what when serving dinner. Dinner in the restaurant was, again, the highlight of the stay and we enjoyed it enormously. We'll definitely be back a further stay, and also plan to bring our children and family for afternoon tea one day this summer. Thoroughly recommended for any special occasion or just because you fancy a treat. Walking in the surrounding hills is also a joy.

Dear Guest
I am so glad you had a good stay here and that you chose us for your 10th Wedding Anniversary and that we lived up to our past reputation.

We hope to welcome you back in the no doubt glorious hot summer that we are due for tea as you note.
Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and myself stayed for our first wedding anniversary. The staff could not have been more lovely or helpful and no request seemed like an effort to them.
The food was faultless and we surprised with an extra course for our anniversary!
The room was great with a view of the superb grounds.
Would definitely recommend a stay here to anyone, we hope to visit again!

• Stayed April 2013
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest
How lovely that you stayed with us for your first anniversary. I am glad you had a swanky time with us and the team will be so pleased to get your feedback on how we did.
I hope we will see you again soon and thank you for recommending us.
Paul

Been to Lords of the Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!