“Like Staying at an English Country Home” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Upper Slaughter, Upper Slaughter GL54 2JD, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Upper Slaughter
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Like Staying at an English Country Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Lords of the Manor Hotel is a wonderful combination of a relaxed atmosphere with a very professional staff who do their best to make your stay as wonderful as it can be. Despite being a solo traveler, I felt welcomed and part of the environment. The dinners in the formal dining room are simply wonderful and the wine selection varied with some exquisite selections. My room was very large and overlooked the gardens and duck pond and simply drew me outside to explore the village and countryside.

Staying at the Lords of the Manor was a such a treat that I can't wait for my next visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest
We are glad you felt relaxed and comfortable at Lords of the Manor. The gardens are finally starting to burst with a little colour and we too like the duck pond. Our resident duck, Jemima has just had her nine ducklings hatch - they looked quite a sight but I did have to employ some effort to keep Chef away.

We are looking forward to your next stay.
Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Harmondsworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Lovely setting and well maintained grounds, pretty gardens and patios.
Friendly helpful staff .... but unfortunately the décor a bit tired with some very bizarre art work .... some lovely antique furniture and then a Barbie pink lamp ...in more than one room .... pretty washroom with nice soaps and hand cream etc but then a large very brightly coloured picture of an elephant ??!! Other ceramic elephants also ..Doesn't really go with an English rectory ...
No food available for lunch except soup and a choice of about 3 sandwiches ... nicely presented with lovely fresh bread. Expensive for 2 coffees and 2 sandwiches and 1 glass of wine.
Seems a pity that something that could be so fabulous just isn't. Shame.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Oh crumbs, whilst many would argue we are fabulous we did not hit the mark with you and I am sorry.

Our art work is an eclectic and exclusive mix which we rather like, however do understand that not everyone will. On the upside I am glad you found the staff friendly.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Booked a one night stay through Secret Escapes for my boyfriend's birthday. We were originally booked in for January and unfortunately our stay coincided with the blizzards. We rang to check the weather and the hotel were professional, wonderfully calming and offered to change the booking. In a tense situation, they valued safety above all else and it really offered a glimpse of the personal service that was to come. 3 months later, we managed to pick a wonderful sunny weekend to enjoy the manor. Check in was painless and service was wonderful without being overbearing. Our room was lovely - up int he eaves with a lovely view of the grounds. Only slight problem was the shower head wasn't quite high enough for anyone tall but that's the quirks of a hotel in such an old building I guess! We enjoyed a game of croquet and a lovely stroll to the Mill at Lower Slaughter which we would definitely recommend - especially the gift shop. Dinner was fabulous - with the belated birthday boy declaring his main the best combination of food he's ever had. Wonderful choice of wine from the sommelier who listened to our request for something interesting and south american and really delivered without trying to upsell us at all. Then we somehow managed to fit in breakfast the next day and left wonderfully relaxed and refreshed. We will definitely be back again.

Dear Guest
We are so glad you had a lovely time with us and left us relaxed and refreshed. I am so glad that our French Sommelier was able to deliver something nice from South America - I am sure privately it hurts his pride but he does a good job of rounded recommendation without bias to his homeland.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon please bring the good weather with you again!
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed for just one night recently to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had a Rectory room overlooking the gardens to the rear of the hotel, which was beautifully furnished and equipped although it needed its windows flinging open on arrival (why do hotels insist on overheating the bedrooms?)
After a potter around the picture-postcard perfect village of Upper Slaughter (do visit the church, it is beautiful), we presented ourselves for pre-dinner drinks at our allotted time. Contrary to the opinion of a previous reviewer, I do not like massive canapes before dinner and these were just right. The staff were extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list. We had ordered a lovely bottle of red with dinner, but I needed a glass of white with my starter and I took the recommendation of the sommelier - boy was it delicious!
The food was simply sublime. I really couldn't fault any aspect of it. The meal was unhurried and the flavour combinations, although sometimes surprising, worked every time.
The staff were polite, friendly and attentive, but never there when you didn't want them there - a hard thing to get right I sometimes feel.
It wasn't a 'value' weekend, but it was absolutely worth every penny.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest

It was lovely to accommodate you at Lords and I am glad you enjoyed your time with us, also that you visited the Church which is often a place for calm reflection when the Hotel Manager's intray gets a little tricky.

On behalf of the team we very much look forward to welcoming you back come rain or hopefully shine soon.
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Our stay was for only one night in early November 2013. The location is excellent and the hotel very atmospheric - a beautiful ambience. The staff were excellent from the moment we arrived to the moment we left and even changed our room from upstairs to downstairs with no fuss. Nothing seemed too hard. We had booked a 'room-dinner-breakfast' special offer through a UK newspaper (Daily Telegraph) and were a little concerned that we may have been treated a little differently. We needn't have worried!

We had dinner at the Michelin star restaurant - excellent meal. The table d'hote menu was very good but we did opt foradifferent starter. Breakfast was equally excellent.

Negatives were few and far between and not really enough to changemy rating. The room lacked a few things ie a mini-bar and tea and coffee making facilities. I enjoyed only one beer on my arrival and at GBP8 for 500ml of local ale I left it at one beer. As I said, not enough to change my overall opinion of 'EXCELLENT'.

Room Tip: One of us has a mild mobility problem. We made the mistake of not mentoning this when booking. M...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Lords of the Manor, I am so glad you had a good time here and I will share your feedback with the team.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back here soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a romantic break and were expecting something special. We left disappointed. Extras ordered for the room were not in place and had to be chased up. The room was damp with wet patches on the wall and the bathroom was in need of refurbishment. The toilet kept flushing continuously.
The meal was ok, but we did not feel was up to Michelin standard. Service at breakfast was painfully slow.
Overall 2 star experience for 5 star plus prices.
On giving critical feedback we were offered a complimentary room only weekend. We will not be bothering.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest

I know we have corresponded previously via email about your stay with us but clearly you are still very disappointed with the experience you had here. You are right to expect the best from us and invariably that is what we offer - we are truly sorry that this was not the case for you. It is with regret that I learn you would not want to bother to return to us but I would welcome an opportunity to discuss the matter with you in person so that I can perhaps go some way to changing your mind.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago and had a lovely time. The hotel its self is beautiful as are its surroundings. The service was outstanding and the food in the restaurant was absolutely delicious. By far the nicest and friendliest hotel I have ever stayed in. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a nice quiet romantic get away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest
We are glad you had a splendid romantic getaway with us.

The team will be thrilled to receive your feedback and as ever we very much look forward to your return - I will try harder on the weather front next time.

Paul

Been to Lords of the Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!