“Lovely countryside "get away from it all" treat” 4 of 5 stars

Lords of the Manor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Upper Slaughter, Upper Slaughter GL54 2JD, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Upper Slaughter
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely countryside "get away from it all" treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just returned from our anniversary treat, staying here for one night. Dinner (tasting menu), bed and breakfast.
Good points- wonderful staff, clean, tidy, comfortable, lovely toiletries in the room, great powerful shower, deep full sized bath, beautiful countryside location, incredibly wide range of wines, amazing breakfast.
Bad points- no coffee/tea making facilities in the rooms, our bed was two singles attached together- i hate that-there's always that ridge in the bed between you!

Overall a lovely treat & trip away, expensive but great quality food, wine and service. As the hotel knew this trip was for our anniversary we got a little cake, as shown in the photo, and a free glass of bubbly to celebrate. Thanks to all of the staff for making it special.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am glad you managed to get away from it all - the cotswolds is a great place for that.

Thanks for your constructive feedback, I will see what went wrong with your bed as normally all twins have a really good memory foam topper so that you cannot tell - it sounds like this was missing from your bed.

We are glad you liked the cake and hope we will see you again.
Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was our second visit to the Lords of the Manor and expectations were high. Whilst the hotel made amends for the issues we experienced, it would have been preferable not to have had to raise them in the first place.The previous review by BatmanMalborough could be word for word my own review as our experience was very similar, so I won't write it all out again.

Notwithstanding, the staff are wonderful and want to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I agree with other reviewers that there is no air of stuffiness and everyone is very friendly and amenable.

Special mention to Andy, the porter/bellman who is an absolute treasure!

This hotel is a glorious Cotswolds retreat and, in the snow, was straight out of a Christmas card setting, just beautiful. The beds are soooooooo comfy too! Recommended for a touch of luxury, rest and relaxation in a truly English setting.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest
We are glad you liked the snow here and I am also glad that we had progressed on from the issues BatmanMalborough commented on - we really do care that guests have a good time here.

I hope to welcome you back soon - feel free to contact me directly when you are thinking of returning as I would love to look after your reservation.
South Northants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our second visit, making the most of a special offer for previous guests. Our deal included a cream tea on arrival (two scones each - not "mini" in my view, don't understand that comment - plenty of jam and cream, choice of teas/coffees and extra, fresh pots offered). The pre-dinner champagne was not skimped and the accompanying nibbles delicious, my favourite being the crispy ball of risotto. (How do they get all that flavour into one mouthful?). Last time (as mentioned by another reviewer) the Market Menu was a little disappointing, given the Michelin star, though the a la carte was stunning. This time it was wonderful, exceptional food backed by an interesting, thoughtful wine list. The portions were nicely judged and supplemented by an amuse-bouche (soup, yummy), a generous choice of bread with two butters and a pre-dessert. The second night we liked the look of the set menu but I was keen to try the smoked eel starter so we went a la carte with the sommelier's choice of wine. Wow. The only tiny glitch was the absence of at least two cheeses from the (ample) trolley; there were plenty of suitable alternatives but it would have helped to be told before I'd spent time perusing the cheese menu. Unbelievably I'd forgotten that the coffee comes not only with petits fours but with a choice of chocolates and mini-macaroons. Save room for these!
Our room was comfortable and luxurious; I particularly like the l'Occitane toiletries. All the staff were highly professional: welcoming, polite and friendly but not over-attentive. We're already planning our next visit when we hope to take friends for a big-birthday treat. Can't wait - thank you, Lords.
PS better wi-fi, please...?

Dear Guest
I am glad you had a lovely time with us and particularly as second time round there is a danger that "the slippers become old hat rather than even more comfortable".
I hope we will see you again soon and do let me know about the cheeses you missed so I can ensure they are in ready supply for your return. We agree about wifi and are bullying BT who need to upgrade our current telephone exchange from wool to cooper wires.
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Everything from start to finish was first class.
We stayed on a Monday night on the 'Pure Indulgance' package which included champagne afternoon tea, champagne in the room, 3 course A La Carte meal and breakfast in bed.
As it was my birthday, i was welcomed with a 'happy birthday' from the receptionist, and, a room upgrade to the Tracy room. Very nice!
When we went down for diiner, we were presented with complimentary champagne to enjoy with our canapes.
The meal was superb and we took some advice regarding wine and were recommended a fabulous bottle of red. With desert, i was brought a little birthday cake with a candle on it!
Breakfast was one of the tastiest breakfasts i have ever experienced and to have it in bed was lovely.
The whole air of this place is absolute quality and luxury but without the stuffiness one tends to find at similar establishments. Nothing is too much trouble and everything is done with a smile.
Oh, and the 10% discretionary service charge is on the bill - you are made aware that it's going to be there from the out set - and we paid it with gratitude as the staff fully deserved it!!
Well done Lords of the Manor - highly recommended!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Guest
I am so glad you highly recommended us, it is lovely and humbling to receive such praise. I am also so pleased you liked the team we have here, we try not to be stuffy just concerned to ensure you have a good time when you visit.

How splendid that you had breakfast in bed, we do think that is the most chipper way to start your day.
Kind regards and we hope to see you soon.
Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was our second stay at the Lords of the Manor and for some reason I did not file a report on the first stay - perhaps I wanted to keep it hidden!

This second visit (also on a midweek deal) was better than the first and this we attribute to the fact that the food is even better although the room upgrade to a junior suite was also very welcome. The daily fixed menu - the Market Menu - was beautifully put together and as long as you like what is offered then you will be impressed. On our first visit in 2011 we thought this menu lacked some punch but that has been rectified. If you want to step up to the a la carte at c. £21.00 extra a head (which you can do when you have seen the market menu for the day) then you get a wide choice. We would also recommend placing yourself in the hands of the sommelier for a generous glass with each course specially chosen to accompany what you are eating.

We like to take breakfast in the room and this was accurately delivered at the time appointed and was excellent.

The accommodation is easily up to the standard you would expect at these prices and the staff are attentive but not intrusive.

My one small criticism is that with a local mobile signal which is hopeless it would be preferable if they could sort out wifi in the rooms rather than just in the public areas.

Dear Guest
Well thank you for doings a little trumpet blowing about your stay with us this time, we are a bit of a secret hideaway but people tend to like that about us. Your kind words are very welcome and I promise that we are working on the Wifi signal - progress has been as slow as Farmer Witts tractor but I think we are nearing installation of a solution.

We hope to see you again soon.
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had a lovely birthday celebration here. We were well looked after with tea in front of the fire, champagne and a delicious dinner - try the blackcurrant souffle! Our room was very comfortable and quiet. The service was excellent and nothing was too much trouble. It is a small and charming hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
We are glad you visited us for your birthday celebration and that you liked our little bit of the Cotswolds. I do hope we will see you again soon - a few green bulbs are poking through so we hope it will be time soon to stop lighting the fire and welcome the spring.
Marlborough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We took them up on their special midweek night out offer, cream tea, glass of champagne, market menu dinner and room for the night for £199.00 all in. Not actually that cheap a deal but it’s a nice place and now Michelin starred.

It’s a shame but no-one explained the market menu is well down spec and offers no choice and it just wasn’t inspiring. You would at least expect a reasonable table d hote style choice. Something that shows off the kitchen but is using less expensive materials and perhaps a bit simpler time wise to do.

Cream tea was just that two mini scones and that’s it. For the price of a scone it’s so silly for this to be so minimal. It shrieks of being just tight.

Champagne before dinner took 25 minutes for two of the glasses to arrive and generally service was very suspect all apart from the sommelier who did a fine job. Just a shame it took an hour to top up my water glass (from a bottle held of table. I am not that lazy) and generally was just not on the ball for this standard of restaurant.

Food was Ok, Not brilliant and showed flashes but also to my mind poor decisions as regards flavours. Scallops over bitter greens/marmalade and a chocolate pudding with truffle says everything. Blackcurrant ice-cream/sorbet the best I have ever tasted however deep and just perfect.

However I did make my feelings known politely at the end of the meal and in the morning on settling up found our dinner upgrade to al la Carte and service charge removed on my and my guest’s bills. That and the apology given was well received.

So to sum up the jury’s out. My suggestion to them would be to make it £250 and let people eat what they want, provide a few sandwiches and poor a couple more glasses of fizz. And all together then provide a better all round experience.

Room Tip: Spent the night up in the eaves in a small room on a small bed - watch out for this if you are of a...