“Relaxing weekend in the Cotswolds” 5 of 5 stars

Snooty Fox Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Market Place, Tetbury GL88DD, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tetbury
tetbury
“Relaxing weekend in the Cotswolds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

I booked a midweek stay at the Snooty Fox Tetbury, as it had been highly recommended by my family.

The midweek visit was relaxing and most enjoyable, we ate in the spacious restaurant at the rear of the hotel which had a warm atmosphere, we just about managed to eat all three courses!
The food tasted excellent and was superbly presented accompanied by fast and efficient service which made the experience even more pleasurable.

Our room was large and in immaculate condition.

The location of the Hotel was as the rest of the visit 'Superb'. Located in the centre of the town - within walking distance to all amenities.

I will definately return to the Snooty Fox, both the accomodation and the food were greater than expected of a 3*hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Caerphilly
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

Hotel tried to give us a basic room when we had paid for upgrade. Eventually conceded to give a better room, but not what we had paid for. Evening meal was good. Breakfast was very poor - very little choice - no fruit, yoghurt, museli, croissants - only apple juice. English breakfast was very greasy - especially fried bread. Service was very poor at breakfast. Had to wait ages for hot water to reach the tap. Not up to the standard we had expected.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bridgend,Mid Glam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Booked this hotel through [--] - not showing all Hotels in Tetbury. I booked this due to its location - I wanted something central and not a drive away. 3* so was not expecting the finer or the finesse that makes 4*/5*. The Hotel is right in the centre of this old market town, no car parking facilities but there is a car park (pay and display) just behind the hotel. We had a warm welcome and check in was fast and efficient. We had booked a superior room and I was not dissapointed for what we had paid (but it was not a bargain!). Tea/coffee facilities and bottled water complimentary. Peroni was on tap in the bar which kept my husband happy. Wine by the glass was expensive. We ate in the restaurant - no complaints. Service was fast and friendly - food was enjoyable. I have had worse and paid more. The waitresses in the restaurant wanted to please and were efficient. The bar was used by locals (probably due to its location) and was satisfactory. If I went back to Tetbury for a weekend I would be more than happy to stay here again. You get what you pay for.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — On site car parking would of been better - but no big problem
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Stourbridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

My fiance and I recenctly stayed at this hotel. I was working in Tetbury over a weekend and needed a one night stay.

I was buoyed by the reviews from other customers and although at the higher cost bracket, i decided it would be nice to stay there and enjoy it.

To be honest, if you're going to call yourself something like 'The Grumpy Old Fart' you need to be really good with it, show real aplomb.

This is lacking.

As others have said, the place looks tired. Our bedroom was at the front of the hotel and quite small. That's ok, but for 150 uk pounds, i'd expect more. I opened the bathroom and it was basically a corridor. I could not sit on the toilet properly as the wall was angled inbetween my legs! I'm 6ft which although tall isn't massive.

The decor in the bathroom is not good. The black mildew around the base of the shower, inbetween tiles that aren't fitted correctly and around the base of the toilet aren't a good look. It's dirt, basically. The shower was really nice and powerful and large enough for a proper bloke to use. That was very welcome.

This theme runs through the bedroom also. It's worn out, old tired decor and yes, we also had a lumpy mattress.

I spoke to a few local people, both young and elder, who tell me that they have a high staff turnover rate, especially in the restaurant. One of them did rave about the bar. It was nothing special. Pints tasted metalic; the lines obviously needed a clean. Some staff were obviously new. Usually it's a sign of bad management and i did experience one manager who was fairly condescending without realising it. I imagine he was not a trained hotelier. Having observed him in the bar, he enjoyed playing host.

I get the feeling from locals that this was once a great establishment but that the people running it have become complacent. Quite common in the industry and what seperates good from the really great - repeating excellence is not easy.

I am happy to pay 'over the going rate' but only for service that is 'above and beyond'. The young gentleman who served us dropped his professionalism very quickly and became overly friendly. He couldn't help enough though and was a credit to this place.

Dinner was lacklustre. The starter was overcooked and overall; lacking. The main course was similar. Higher end price, not overly expensive but for what we had, you do expect a bit more from the kitchen taste and quality wise. Lots of things were overcooked and not as described on the Menu. Make sure you ask if there's any meat in the dish.

The waiter didn't know the menu and i got the feeling service is difficult for the team there and somewhat disjointed.

Breakfast was meesly at best. Their english breakfast was one sausage about 2.5 inches long. It was not fresh and to be honest, looked like it had been reheated. It appeared way too quickly to be cooked fresh and had black charring underneath. (cleverly turned by the chef) When they extoll the virtues of their locally sourced food and fresh wares, re-cooked yesterdays breakfast is a let down. Same with the mushrooms.

The eggs were nice.

Again, there are some great looking little cafes around, avoid breakfast here and head for one of those. There are fresh pastries, large breakfasts and good coffee at a much lower cost just around the adjoining streets.

They charge £3 for hire of a DVD. I've not been to a hotel where they charge for DVD rental, so that was very funny. The TVs in the room are just low standard and again, if you're going to charge £3 for a DVD in a hotel, you need to provide good equipment to let people enjoy it. A poor TV on a low table that can only be seen from one side of the bed is fairly useless.

I was also charged £2.75 for a paper that costs £2.00. the 75p was for 'delivery and profit'. I feel sorry for the managers that things are so bad they have to eek profit out in that way. And i also feel i should have been made aware that the paper cost anything in the first place. I would think a more complete management would stop higher staff turnover, reducing costs all over and upping profit and repeat business. I certainly won't go back and will advise friends not to.

There are many many many other places to stay in the lovely town of Tetbury that i feel sad having wasted a night at 'the fox'. Other visitors i spoke to over the weekend had enjoyed some amazing nights at Farm based B&B's, smaller more intimate hotels and also higher end ones, like The Priory up the road - with lower rates too.

One last thing - there is a town clock that goes off every hour. Every hour. So you could be woken at 1am 2am 3am 4am 5am 6am and 7am like we were.

Less 'Snooty Fox' more 'Bored Mole'.

• Liked — Leaving to go home :-(
  • Disliked — dinner.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Loughborough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

We treated ourselves to a deluxe room with jacuzzi bath for my birthday, the room was fine but very dark, the windows patched over with film so you couldn't see outside and one window was painted shut.

There was also minimal lighting in the room (number 8) so we felt like moles by the end of our stay.

The decor was outdated though the bed was big and clean and comfortable.

We ate there once (on my birthday) and the food was OK, but the service was a bit haphazard

Breakfast was fine but took ages - take the newspaper! It was great when it arrived though.

We ate at the blue zuchinni just across the road which was fab and had a lovelya atmosphere and also at the priory hotel the other side of town which made fab pizzas

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The dark room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

Stayed for one night at the Snooty. Room was large and well-decorated. The whole place had a great, traditional feel. Dinner was great, breakfast was terrific, too. Staff was helpful and friendly. We loved Fred, the Snooty Dog. Would definitely visit again.

• Liked — Ambiance, food, location
  • Disliked — sofa bed for third person
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

We wanted a break from home, so after some research decided to take a drive down to the Cotswolds and stay at the Snooty Fox on a Saturday night.
It is right in the centre of Tetbury, with its lovely antique shops.
We paid for a superior room and got room 12 which is right up in the attic.... A massive room with a four poster bed. I've stayed in smaller suites.
OK, so the room is beginning to look a little shabby. If I wanted to be picky, I would say:
The attic stairs up to the room has some rather bad Formica style panelling going on. There is some staining on the carpet in the room and the sofa in the window is suffering from sun fade. The bed was a little lumpy, but it was a very soft, which may have been the cause (soft lumps if you know what I mean!).
But, in its defence it was very clean and atmospheric. The bathroom was great, with some nice products (Neutrogena) and a Jacuzzi bath.
The staff at this place could not have been more helpful. The food was fabulous and the bar and restaurant were absolutely lovely (open fire in the bar, candles and flowers in the restaurant)
We arrived on a Saturday afternoon. This hotel has no parking so we had to drive around for a while to find somewhere. The hotel advised us to try the long stay car park where we got parked up after waiting a while. It only cost 2 pounds for 10 hours and parking was free on the Sunday. I imagine parking would not be such an issue in the week.

We hunted around on the internet and got a bed, breakfast and dinner deal which was really excellent value. I would definitely recommend the Snooty Fox because it is central, clean, good value, nice people and great food. Well worth a visit.

• Liked — Large and clean
  • Disliked — Beginning to look shabby
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Snooty Fox Hotel? Share your experiences!