“So comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

wales
“So comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed 14/12-16/12/14
The hotel is well appointed the staff very helpful The breakfast menu was extensive ,in the evening we entertained Family in the restaurant we thoroughly enjoyed the food
We stayed in Owl we would certainly book that room again
Travel a great deal and this is our idea of a English hotel

Room Tip: Swallow room is over the kitchen so there is a droning noise OWL is a well appointed and extremely...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

spent the last two nights in the Jubilee room, I could not have been happier with the room! From the moment my partner and I arrived in reception and saw the log fire we knew this was an excellent choice of hotel and just perfect to help us find some festive spirit! The staff are excellent, friendly and attentive. I didn't catch her name but the lady working reception was so welcoming and personable and always greeted us with a smile. It's touches like this that make a real difference. Our room was huge and full of character, being able to request fresh milk and not UHT may sound small but was a plus for me!!
Breakfast at the hotel was great, lots of choice and very tasty. The bar is relaxing to chill out in during a winter eve. We didn't get the chance to have dinner as our stay was brief and we wanted to explore.
The location was great, right in the centre of this beautiful Cotswold market town. The town is small but easy to get to neighbouring locations for those looking for more to do.
Parking was easy, surroundings, staff and atmosphere great and I have come home feeling relaxed and ready for Christmas. If I was to be really picky, my only negative comment would be that glasses in the garden from the previous evening remained there the following morning. This place is a must if you want a romantic getaway in a stunning part of the country.
Thank you to the staff and see you again soon!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for two nights it was our first time to the area and we were pleasantly surprised.

The Hotel is in a beautiful building with loads of history, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms of a high standard and clean (we were in a premier suite).

We only ate breakfast so can't really comment on the food first morning I had the full English which was great along side pastries and toast. The second morning I had the eggs Benedict Which was different. From what I'm used to in that the hollandaise seemed to have split.

The bar in the hotel is lovely and well stocked with all the spirits and mulled wine you could hope for and has a great fire place. I'd probably avoid the cocktails though as they are lacking somewhat in
flavour.

All together a great stay with minor quirks which wouldn't stop us coming back. Would defiantly recommend

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Bromsgrove, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

From the minute we arrived the staff were friendly and helpful. The food is superb and the quality of all the details make the whole experience feel luxurious and indulgent. We only stayed for one night, but would certainly recommend to friends and intend to visit again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Cuckoo, which despite being a standard double is actually.a mini suite. However, there...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
CloseManager, General Manager at The Close Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear AndyW1977,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay.
I am delighted with your review as are the hard working team.
Myself and the staff hope you will visit again in the future and perhaps a longer stay.
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent 3 nights at this lovely Hotel and it's the perfect location for any traveler/especially from Australia wanting to experience a true English country village lifestyle.Parking is at the back of the Hotel and a tad tight for space but secure so no real problem there.Had the Deco room which was large and well decorated with a lovely side window which overlooked the rear garden.The extremely quite room which we had led from a spiral turret staircase and felt as though we were entering a somewhat Lancelot like time era .The room was well equipped with all amenities - current Cotswold/magazines are a nice touch and housekeeping should be commended.The only fault and it should not reflect on any ones stay here as there are other options for dining in the town available is the Dining room at the Hotel.After daily internal reception phone calls requesting we eat within the Hotel we finally decided to do so.A big mistake as the Brasserie Menu was personally the worst meal that I had throughout all my travels both in the UK as well as Europe or ever had in fact.No water at the table or other tables-seemed to forget this on placement settings as all tables were asking for water.The Ribeye was inedible/full of sinew and could cause a throat blockage if eaten.The waitress could see the remains of my meal? when clearing the table - no word spoken from her and it's the first time I have never received the "did you enjoy your meal" pitch and the Blueberry cheesecake with no base? was more like a sweet puddle of mousse mixture.Quite expensive to say the least as we could hardly eat or digest most of it.The Hotel/Room is a five star experience and should be rated as such but as we were asked to Dine in by the Hotel Staff I have included this as well and we were let down by the restaurant quality which could affect any customers stay.

Room Tip: The Deco room is a lovely room away from the main street and out at the side back close to the car p...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Darren524,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your summertime stay with us. Feedback is a helpful tool to enable myself and the team to iron out any problem areas.
I am delighted that you were happy with the Deco room and found it well equipped.
In regards to your food and I am very disappointed with your feedback. We offer our guests the choice of dining option, either the Brasserie which offers a more traditional menu or the award winning Fine Dining restaurant which showcases the kitchen brigade’s passion and imagination.
To hear that you received such a poor meal disappoints me, as you can see from our many reviews we receive very positive feedback regarding our dining including our breakfast offering.
I would like to apologise that on this occasion we failed to deliver.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Me and my boyfriend booked this for my birthday and we were not disappointed. The Close Hotel is right in the middle of the beautiful little town called Tetbury and from the front you dont realise just how big the hotel is. Our stay here was wonderful, we arrived quite late and checked in at reception next to a big roaring fire. Instantly felt at home, and very nice and cosy. We were given directions for the car park and times for breakfast etc. The back of the hotel is beautiful too. The back garden and the view of the hotel is really something special.
Breakfast was a real treat too, we paid to have breakfast in the mornings and were offered a buffet of different cereal, yoghurt, croissants etc and then offered tea/coffee and a choice of toast for starters. Then we were able to order a main breakfast which was really delicious, I had eggs benedict and my boyfriend had salmon and eggs. The hotel is very well decorated and you really get a feel for the country market town of Tetbury. The room was really cosy and the bed was huge and very very comfy (we couldn't get out of it)
Tetbury town itself is very small and doesnt have a huge amount of restaurants to choose from. This however was fine for us as all we really wanted was a chilled weekend. I would advise to possibly drive down in a car or hire a car because some of the restaurants we looked into were a bit of a walk away but very easy to drive to. The town offers a great amount of countryside and we were able to go on a wonderful walk on Sunday morning to burn off our huge breakfast.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a short stay and a special occasion. If you want something modern but classic with bold but elegant furnishings and freindly accomodating staff this is just what the hotel will offer. Very happy weekend stay.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Fay M,

Thank you taking the time to write a review of your recent birthday treat.
I am really pleased you had such an enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed a walk in the beautiful Cotswold countryside.
Your kind comments have been passed to the team.
I hope to welcome you back for another treat!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Close hotel is one of the best hotels in the Cotswold. Even before you get the communication between you and them is first class and they do what they can to make sure your visit is perfect. I booked this venue for my wife's surprise 40th and it delivered. The gallery room is the perfect room with a lovely bed, a delightful shower and the bottle of champagne sealed it for my wife. If you're in the Tetbury area stay here and the fine dining choices are lovely. Highly recommend.

Stayed November 2014
Dear Madness2012,

Thank you for your great review of the hotel and your recent stay. I was certainly very happy with the opening sentence!
It is a pleasure for myself and the team to read such a positive review which commends the team on their high level of service which delivers a great experience for our guests.
I am delighted that your wife enjoyed her birthday surprise and hope to welcome you both back in the not too distant future.
Clare Steward-Gadsden

Been to The Close Hotel? Share your experiences!