“Highgrove shop in Tetbury - over-priced & over-marketed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Attractions in Tetbury
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
29 attraction reviews
“Highgrove shop in Tetbury - over-priced & over-marketed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Highgrove shops (there's one in Bath, Tetbury, and in Fortnum & Mason, London) are best described as aspirational shopping, a chance to metaphorically "rub shoulders" with HRH The PoW or to feel that you're sharing in his green ethos.

This shop trades on being HRH Prince of Wales's outlet. That's its draw for most people. Plush teddy bears, tweed and leather mock shooting bags, scarves, food and conserves....please! I think it is best described as "home and lifestyle". I was going to say grant the general public with more sense, but it would seem, from Tetbury generally, that this is not the case. They were flocking into this shop in their droves.

I apologise if I sound cynical, however, I am exactly that. I loathe Tetbury, which has more antique shops than all the other sorts of shops combined (and I like antique shops, but these give themselves airs), pretty much the whole town reminds me of a semi-rural, and these days, more expensive, Islington.

The most honest thing I saw all day was a manure waggon being driven through the town centre by tractor, with much wrinkling of noses and chuntering from the chattering classes. You're in the country, even Cotswold cows have to,,, you know!

So, the Highgrove Shop in Tetbury. If you have more money than sense, and like to spend it in home and lifestyle shops, then this is for you. I can't comment on the friendliness or helpfulness of the staff, as I didn't purchase anything there.

In its defence, and that of HRH The Prince of Wales, the profits from this shop do go to the Prince of Wales's Charitable Foundation so that's a major plus in my opinion and is what bumps this shop from poor to average.

I don't know, I was just hoping for more, or something different, but sadly, no. It's just not my thing, I don't want to buy into a "lifesyle" on the promise of a lightly distressed nesting box for birds....or some Highgrove jam. I make my own!

Visited October 2012

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Highgrove shop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The shop was an experience and very interesting to visit. Quite expensive but excellent quality goods as one would expect.

Visited October 2012
Adelaide, Australia
46 attraction reviews
“Great town to visit !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We visited Tetbury on the way from Bath to Warwick.

There was ample pay and display parking just north of the "Great Market House" which seemed to be the focal point of this town. A little walking through the delightfull streets soon uncovered this town secrets which it seems to be a haven for those who seek an antique or two and I must add their shop keepers were very friendly to say the least.

Sadly we did not have the time to fully explore this historic township but if you do then I am sure you wont be dissapointed, I certainly will next time.

Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“A disappointing shop with an impeccable source.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

We made a mini holiday around our lucky purchase of tickets to see the gardens of Highgrove so of course, we had to visit The Highgrove shop in Tetbury (Long Street).

Apart from the obvious high prices in a shop like this, the products were curiously disappointing! Tea-towels that frankly would show every mark from first use - to very expensive wooden objects like a spindle for string, and a rule for gardening coming in at £15!! Jams, toiletries etc, the usual mundane tourist objects showed a lack of imagination for such an exclusive shop!!

I realise the Prince is a very rich man, but perhaps for once, going down-market to reach to pockets of us 'ordinary' people, would benefit not only us, but the bank account of the Prince's charities.

London
20 attraction reviews
“Fun to look around - but basically over-priced tat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Tetbury is a charming town full of interesting shops, and eating for all prices (we enjoyed the cheerful service & family cafe food (excellent Wiltshire ham) at the Welcome Chair, just opposite the Highgrove shop).

The Highgrove shop is worth a peek, but not a special detour. We thought it would be a farm shop given HRH's interest in farming and organic food, but most of the contents are knick-knacks - fussy ornaments, bits and pieces for the over-decorated home, priced at £30 upwards. There are a few food items, such as jams, and items of stationery, that cost less and would make nice presents.