“Disappointing.” 2 of 5 stars

Description: Food served daily from 12.00 Until 9.00
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2014

My husband and I visted this evening as a bit of a treat as I had been unwell. We were greeted very well and although early, shown immediately to our table, well actually pointed in the direction of our table. We both chose the spicy chicken strips in a poppadum basket from the specials board, my husband then chose beer battered cod and chips, and I chose chicken in a whole grained cheese sauce with seasonal vegetables. The starters arrived very quickly, and although nice and spicy, consisted of 3 small chicken strips rather overlooked,lots of lettuce presented in a poppadum basket. The main course arrived, presented nicely, we were hopeful. Unfortunately whilst my husband realises that fish has bones, he was not prepared to be unable to take one mouthful of fish without uncomfortably trying to discreetly remove bones from his mouth. My chicken was over cooked and dry although the vegetables and sauce were lovely. Being privy to a look inside the kitchen every time the door was opened by staff, it was a haze of smoke and a strong smell of cooking/burning. We were recompensed with the offer of a drink or coffee, which my husband accepted and enjoyed a coffee. To be honest, noticing a chalk board saying that Christmas Day lunch was fully booked,if I had a booking there I would be cancelling and cooking at home. It saddens me that this is probably the worst review that I have written. The one saving grace is that the staff are excellent, considerate, apologetic and very concerned, I feel the fault lies in the kitchen.

• Visited December 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Evening meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2014

I have been to the Royal William a few times during the last 18 months and have usually had a good meal. However, a couple of weeks ago we called in for a quick meal on our way home, unfortunately, we were somewhat disappointed. Mistakenly we thought we had ordered two for the price of £10 and even for that price the meal was poor. When we paid we were charged £10 for each meal, I queried the cost only to be told the meals we had had, were not on the £10 deal, which was our mistake. I have to say we were not impressed with the quality or quantity of the meals - my salmon was about the size of a fish finger. The potatoes and vegetables tasted as if they had been reheated. The veg was French beans and carrots, not terribly imaginative or appetizing. We were both very disappointed and will not be returning.

• Visited December 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Slightly underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

having visited the Royal William on quite a few occasions my last visit left me feeling slightly underwhelmed. We had ordered the steak on hot rocks which has always been great in the past. This time though the rocks weren't quite hot enough and left me with an almost raw and luke warm piece of meat after a few minutes. Myself and a friend who also suffered the same problem brought it to the attention of one of the staff only for them to apologise but not rectify the problem which we found rather odd. When it came to settling up no discount was offered although we had only ate half a meal. To me this seems odd to make a customer pay for food when they haven't eaten nor enjoyed it. Now I'm dubious to return as my confidence in this eatery has slightly diminished. Was this just a one off? I'm not sure I shall be returning to find out.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Average Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

We stopped here for a sandwich on our one night stay in Painswick. Whilst the food was fine the ambience was a bit lacking. Used to go her a long time ago when it was under Brewer Fayre ownership and it was a much better inn then.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Pub Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

Called in on the way back from a visit to Stroud. The 'Two meals for £10' sign caught our eyes, but we would have gone in anyway. And we were not disappointed. Warm greeting from the barman as we went in, and what a great atmosphere. The fish cakes [plus new spuds and salad] would be OK at £8+, but for £5? Brilliant. Great meals, coffee and beer for a silly price. Strongly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere