“Excellent food & service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 restaurants in Painswick
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
“Excellent food & service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Although there were a number of car parking spaces in front of the hotel, they were all full, so it did take us a while finding an alternative place to park in the tiny streets of Painswick, but it was a pleasant evening a rather nice to wander to Cotswold 88. The hotel building is beautiful and very imposing and on arriving we were greeted and shown to the bar area to have a few drinks before dinner. We opted for the tasting menue at a very reasonable price of £45 per person.

The decor isn't to everyone tastes - it is very contemporary considering the age of the building. Personally, I wasn't keen on the black and cream striped carpet and flame orange and red wall paper in the dining room - it did give it a vibrancy, but not a relaxing atmosphere, more upbeat (think London night Club to English Country Home).

The food was delicious - we all enjoyed every course and there were many. Our waiters were attentative, knowledgeable, friendly and had a good sense of humour. My allergy to seafood and mushrooms were taken into consideration as well.

Would I reccommend and go back? I would certainly reccommend the food and experiencing the retaurant in this hotel, as it was excellent. Would I go back? Probably not, as the concept of London in the country isn't me, but I can see it would be for many others as it was very busy.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

we had avery first class meal as always and the service this time was first class thanks to the restaurant manager and the waiters every thing we wanted we got they more than made up for the last vist, one thing i would say if you want a nice fine dinning meal with service dont go if they have big parties its not the same as going when its a bit quieter

Room Tip: didnt stay only went for dinner
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Set out on patio garden, service and food excellent

Visited July 2012
Calne
“A truly fine dining experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

We stumbled across this hotel restaurant by chance during a one night stay in Painswick when my friend and I were walking The Cotswold Way. We had cancelled the table we had booked at The Falcon due to poor vegetarian meal selection and arrogant staff attitude.
This restaurant, however, more than made up for The Falcon. Service was impeccable and attentive, the surroundings luxurious and although the choice for vegetarians was limited, the meal I had was divine.
I fully intend to bring my husband here to stay for a weekend break in The Cotswolds and can't wait to come here again. I very highly recommend this hotel.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland
“Special occasion bust”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012 via mobile

For my daughter's 21st birthday dinner we picked what we thought to be one of the best in Painswick and it was terrible. If you are not staying in the hotel, forget about it because your resversation made weeks in advance has become a ledger entry. We walked to the restaurant and got totally snubbed because a couple of rooms in the inn came to dinner late. When we arrived we were placed in the bar and not told why we were not being seted for our 8 pm reservation. We had to inquire 30 minutes later as to why we hadn't been seated. We were told that people in the hotel who were late pushed our reservation back. Instead of an apology we got a 50 minute wait where we were told we had to order our full dinner in the bar and then be seated for dinner. Our South African front-of-the-house-manager could have cared less whether we had been put out on this special occasion for our daughter. Nobody even asked us how our meal was. We were not dining at McDonalds. What a disappointment, and I am angry that no one at the restaurant even cared.

Our hosts and many others to follow us will know that this is not the place to have dinner. We have travelled extensively and can tell you that the food is not that great either. Stay away from this restaurant, as it is not worth the aggravation given the mediocre food for the money.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere