“Felt like family here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bathurst Arms

Bathurst Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cirencester
Bathurst Arms
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   North Cerney, Cirencester GL7 7BZ, England   |
Ranked #17 of 23 Cirencester B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Felt like family here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

One of my favourite parts of my recent trips to England was my stay at The Bathurs Arms in North Cerney..part of the Cotswolds in West England countryside. James and his staff were friendly and helpful, and the place itself is full of history and flavour. Our room was small neat and clean..nice big tub. No tv..so if you are going to want to hang out in your room and watch your favourite show..dont bother ..you will miss all the local goings on in the bar! We ate our 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners in the restaurant..all suberb. great wine selection too. I simply adored the Bathurst Arms and highly recommend! Not many rooms though..small 17th c coaching house..so book early to avoid dissapointment! Great location to explore the Cotswolds from and close to Bath.

Room Tip: book as soon as you can
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

We have just returned from a 3 night stay here and enjoyed it very much. Reading through the reviews here l see there is quite a mixed bag. We were a little dissapointed when we arrived as it didnt seem to be quite as nice as the video, it was sunday afternoon and the bar was quite busy but we were welcomed by Zoe who quickly showed us to our rooms, we then realised there was no tv, feel this should be mentioned on the website, we would have brought our radio had we known, The rooms are perfectly acceptable, comfortable bed, good selection of hot drinks, bottled water, there were a few improvements that could be made, the bathrooms needed a little bit of attention but on the whole were fine with nice toiletries and plenty of towels. We found the meals to be wonderfull and breakfast was good also. We were warned by James on Monday night that the bar would be noisy as Young Farmers meeting, we had a drink ion the wine room after dinner and were the only ones there,all other guests had gone to bed, and in fact the Young Farmers had all left by 11pm. James was very welcoming and chatted to us regarding the history of the place. The village is very picturesue and good roads to all the Cotswold highlights. We would certainly stay again if we were in the Cotswolds

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Stockport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We were so looking forward to this but it disappointed on almost every level. Our first room stank of stale cigarette smoke the second was really run down. For example the bedhead was damaged and a new mattress had been put on top of a very dirty, old one. Ugh! The bathroom was clean but run down and smelled as if it hadn't been used for some time. There was even a dirty, rusty old toothbrush holder.
We had to wait over one hour between the first and second courses and although the venison pie was superb the roast veg had been deep fried and clearly standing for ages. Eventually, the waitress apologised for the delay and said the chef was just serving it up. Ten minutes later it appeared!
Breakfast was equally slow. The toast was cold by the time the food came. By this time I was aware of the lack of cleanliness everywhere.
In fairness, when I complained the manager reduced the bill significantly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Matulini
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Took their 3 night break between Christmas and New Year which was by far the best deal on the internet. Our comfortable room was large for an old building and the bed was huge. Theywrite a very good menu but we found the food quaIity rather variable - some was truly excellent (steak & smoked salmon starter), most was perfectly Ok, but a few dishes were rather bland. But for the price we were paying it was brilliant. I was impressed with the staff - it was a team of friendly youngsters (but everyone's looking young to me these days!) who bustled proffessionally and effectively.

We had planned to go working but the snow and fog made this impossible, so we shopped in Cheltnham and Cirencester instead. Not quite the same!

All-in-all we'll definitely be back when we need a few days R&R in the UK.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

The Bathurst Arms is an Inn with rooms. Having looked at their website before booking, I was quite excited. It looked like the kind of place I'd like to stay - striving for a personalised and special service. I had emailed ahead to let them know of my dietary requirements (I am a strict vegan) and was assured that this would not be an issue, since apparently they were well-used to dealing with vegans.

When we got there, they were cobbling together a menu for my dinner, which suggested that they weren't very prepared, but no matter. The food, however, was only passable, getting worse with each course. My omnivore husband did not mind his, though, so perhaps it was the dietary requirements issue that threw them.

However, on arriving for breakfast on the first morning, I was told that there were literally no items on the menu that were suitable. When I double-checked (in disbelief) that this was the case, the waitress then backtracked and suggested that one item was suitable for me (having vehemently denied that this was the case moments earlier). I was then presented with cheesy sausages (which do not fit with a dairy-free diet). Hubby polished those off.

So, having been lied to, I was truly hoping that the situation would have been rectified by the following morning. This was not the case. Again, nothing was suitable for me. I found this unacceptable. However, what really took the biscuit was that when I tried to point these issues out to the owner (later, via email, not wishing to embarrass the staff on the ground), he was not at all bothered by the fact that the service was so poor. He explained that he'd never catered for a vegan before (in direct contradiction to the previously received email), and was also of the opinion that lying to customers was acceptable so long as it was borne out of shame.

This experience contrasts so starkly with other experiences I have had of staying in truly lovely B+Bs in th UK (where the owners have gone to great lengths to ensure a comfortable stay for me), that I would have to say I cannot recommend it.

As for the room - tiny but passable. I would probably recommend staying somewhere cheaper like a Travelodge - you won't expect a personalised service therefore you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Bathurst Arms? Share your experiences!