“Excellent welcome” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 97 Restaurants in Cirencester
Cuisines: British, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At the Golden Cross Inn we’re proud to offer some of the finest pub dining in Cirencester and its environs, prepared by our dedicated head chef Justin Ashley and his professional kitchen crew. Our menus offer a selection of British and European classic prepared with a contemporary twist, and we were proud to be voted winners of the Cotswold Life Food & Drink Awards for Best Cotswold Menu, a recognition of the kitchen team's dedication to expertly-prepared, locally-sourced, Cotswold-inspired cuisine. In addition to serving great lunches (and breakfasts at the weekend), the pub offers a comprehensive range of sandwiches and light bites.In the evenings diners can experience a more Brasserie-style menu embracing great British and European classics with a contemporary twist, with many seasonal dishes on the specials board, all prepared to order from the freshest locally-sourced ingredients, cooked to perfection and served with love in an informal dining environment.
Swindon
“Excellent welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The golden cross inn has great staff who ask you what you'd like to drink as you come in through the door. A proper welcome. The menu is superb with lots of interesting and tasty meals and snacks. Will definitely go back.

“Best Sunday lunch around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I often pop in the cross and the staff are always friendly. The foods always is amazing to look at and taste but you can not beat the Sunday roast. Money for value you won't get any better for miles around. Meat is cooked to perfection and Yorkshire puddings are a sight to be seen. Forget cooking and all that washing up on Sunday and treat yourself and the family to a roast you won't forget .

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Very basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Popped in here for lunch.It looked nice,the menu looked nice,but the food was very over priced for what you got. Staff were ok. The music was too loud and very out of date, so were the cushion seats which were coming unstiched and had hardly any stuffing, may as well take them off. It was extremely frustrating when the door was being repeatedly open and closed leaving a draft and constant loud slam of the door. The manager seemed oblivious to what his customers were experiencing while he was strutting around the restaurant.
I will not be in a rush at all to be coming back as there are nicer places to go to in town and way too over priced for what you get!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mark L, Owner at The Golden Cross Pub, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Again, I can only assume that this reviewer shared the table with Fiat500Tours and Harry L, as the points raised are so similar (unless that is that everyone in Cirencester on Saturday April 6th detests '80s/'90s playlists)!

I'll not go in to too much repetition here - suffice to say that the builders walking through the pub's dining area were an unfortunate disruption to diners, and that I was doing all in my power to get them off site as quickly as possible (hence my "strutting around" if that's how it was interpreted).

Again, this reviewer seems to focus on the prices charged which should not have come as a surprise as they are clearly stated on the menu from which the reviewer ordered his / her meal. And, again, I would suggest that Bazinga4a might be happier in one of Cirencester's cheaper eateries in future.
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Very nice squid but bad atmosphere and not good service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We visited and I chose the squid, it was nice especially the chilli sauce. However, the service was very slow and the waiter was not very forthcoming. We could see through the door of the kitchen and one of our dishes sat on the side for at least five minutes which then came out cold. One other annoying thing that was really irritating, was that the builders kept on slamming the door as they walked in and out. The manager also kept on walking back and fourth but oblivious to his staff, which got fairly annoying. There was also a really cold draft which kept coming through the doors. Then, when the bill came, we were shocked about the high price for something we thought was not that special.will not be visiting again!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mark L, Owner at The Golden Cross Pub, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
With reference to this review and the review two places below (Not sure what it is . . . . - Fiat500Tours) which were obviously generated from the same table at the same time, I would like to respond as follows:

Firstly, I regret that you did not find your dining experience at the Golden Cross as enjoyable as it might have been; the pub (yes, we are a pub) dining room became exceptionally busy very early in service on this particular Saturday lunchtime. We were short staffed due to staff holidays, and one of our floor staff was on only his second shift.

While I appreciate that this does not excuse poor service, I do believe that allowances can be made from time to time - after all, everybody has to start somewhere. It would be interesting to see how some of our reviewers might cope with a busy service if thrown in at the deep end (in our experience the only way to ascertain if a new staff member is going to make it in the long run).

I accept that there was a degree of disruption within the pub due to builders having to carry tools and fixings from front to back - this was due to emergency work being carried out to the rear of the building, which can only be accessed from the side alley off the dining area. The table in question was asked if they wished to move to another area, and, far from "walking back and forth, oblivious to my staff" I was in fact attempting to expedite the works in progress so that the builders would be clear of the restaurant as quickly as possible (they were in fact gone and the job completed by 12:40pm). It is unfortunate that this disruption upset the guests in question, but when you are open seven days a week, 52 weeks a year, the work has to be carried out sometime, and we are often at the mercy of the tradesmen themselves (as many readers will no doubt themselves appreciate).

It also seems that the reviewers cannot agree as to the quality of the squid they ordered - and, yes, it is deep-fried (though hardly "thrown into the fryer") - I would invite the reviewer Fiat500Tours to suggest an alternative method of cooking battered calamari!

As to the choice of music, I can only apologise that mine and my fellow guests’ tastes don't match those of these reviewers - perhaps they have had a bad experience with the Pet Shop Boys in the past. If they would like to give us another try, perhaps they could contact me in advance so that I can prepare a suitable play list for their aural delight.

Finally, and where I think both these reviews are really focussed, it is somewhat disingenuous to express surprise at the size of the bill when our prices are clearly marked on the menu from which they ordered their food! There are indeed cheaper eateries in Cirencester, and might I respectively suggest to Harry L and Fiat500Tours that they might well be happier in one of these when eating out in the town in future.

Again, we rest on the fact that we serve around 5-600 meals a week to many happy diners, and while we accept that we can never satisfy everyone all of the time, we hope that this gives some peace of mind to those looking to dine with us in the future.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“YUM!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We visited on Easter Saturday lunchtime, expecting to have a snack. I ordered a prawn and crayfish sandwich, and my husband spicy chicken with flatbreads & a side of fries. OMG it was huge, but really delicious. The pub was busy but it's nice to be asked where you want to sit, and service was friendly. The couple next to us had a dog and we like dog-friendly pubs. Will visit again for a proper meal - I'd like to try a pulled pork slider ... looked yummy but HUGE!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere