“Lovely food, great atmosphere and helpful staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 325 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, great atmosphere and helpful staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

15 friends and I decided to book Vanilla for our final graduation meal before we all go our separate ways. We were greeted well and were seated at our large, well planned out table. Recommendations were given for the wine by the waiter who knew exactly what he was doing and arrived quickly at our table. The wine was reasonably priced and considering it is such a nice restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised.

We had pre ordered our food a month before and during that month the menu had changed. The restaurant had no problem in accommodating us as we chopped and changed our menus so we could have things from both menus. This was so kind of them as a couple of members of the group are very fussy and this was great for them.

The food all came out together and all of our orders were correct and yummy. I had the fillet steak and asked for it to be cooked rare, it was perfectly cooked and tasted wonderful, it also helped that they allowed me to have my favourite dauphinoise potatoes with my meal.

The staff were very helpful and always kept our drinks topped up even though we ordered drinks at different times (we were nightmares).

It was a wonderful way to end my university life in such a lovely place. I will be coming back for my anniversary in April as my boyfriend knows how much I want to come back.

Thank you for much a memorable night.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

tewkesbury
“cold food on cold plates”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

we pre booked the party menu so all they had to do was serve it there were 25 of us and the table were arranged badly. service slow starter ok salmon and rocket no problem main course overcooked dry braised beef stone cold and they argued about vegetables expected 2 bowls to go round everyone but they eventually brought more the puds looked good but the icecream was catering grade vanilla horrible taste. £15.95 bottle wine good but £6.50 for a amaetto with cola was a rip off .wont be going back

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Nice, but........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went to Vanilla on Saturday 23 February with friends having booked a good few weeks in advance. We arrived to have a drink beforehand and were asked if we wanted to sit at our table or the bar. Mistake choosing the bar, as they then give our table to 4 people who came in and put us on a smaller table in the corner!! No apology and all done in front of us!

I agree with last comment about the staff as we were asked by three different staff if we were ready to order starters in total 6 times! All within the first 10 minutes of sitting down.

The staff were in this mode all night. We passed comment about them having another booking for the table later on! We just wanted to catch up with friends and have time to do this.

That said, the food was really nice. It was just off putting being hounded by the staff!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
cheltenham
“Wanted to love it but . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place has a lovely atmosphere and I so wanted to love it. It was rather let down but average food and service. Not sure if our waitress was new but she didn't seem to know what she was doing. She was very nervous when pouring water from the jug we ordered. She brought extra wine glasses to the table to put it in despite there being two each already on the table. She didn't think to remove any so the table was less cluttered. I ordered the beef fillet which was meant to come with garlic potatoes. She informed me when I ordered it that it came with something else tonight - a different potato - but she didn't enlighten me any further. She forgot to ask how I wanted it cooked and had to come back later and ask me. She didn't give me a steak knife.

it feels like I'm moaning a lot and I hate reviews like this but the previous saturday we had eaten over the road at Coco and it was a stark contrast. Everything was perfect over there - the atmosphere, service and food. I so wanted that to be the case at Vanilla. May be we were unlucky in getting a new and inexperienced member of staff???

However in saying that the wine by the glass selection wasn't good. My husband was driving so I didn't want to order a bottle. I ordered the Pinot Grigio because it's an easy wine to drink and you rarely get a bad one. But this one wasn't good. For my second glass I ordered Sauvignon Blanc. I had avoided this first time round as I prefer a NZ Sauvignon but it wasn't available by the glass so the only option was one from Chile. It was ok. Better than the Pinot. I would have liked more choice though.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“great favourite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

i always enjoy coming back to vanilla for the great individual service we get as regulars and the privacy we also get. the food is good especially when they know what we like. the personal service you get is exceptional. they always go out of there way to impress you and please you. martin and the team really are under stated as such for all their hard work they put in.

• Visited January 2013