“Another comfortable stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hertfordshire
“Another comfortable stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have forgotten how many times we have stayed at Butlers for the Cheltenham Folk Festival but it always feels like coming home. The welcome is friendly and the cup of tea always just what is needed after a journey. The room is comfortable and warm and the breakfast is excellent. The hotel is a brisk 10 to 15 minutes' walk from the centre of town so it is very handy for everything. We have already booked for next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having seen the brilliant reviews on here, we booked for one night. On arrival, there weren't any spaces in their car park but we could park just a bit further down the road which was not a problem. We were welcomed by one of the friendly owners who was very helpful and efficient. Our room was on the top floor and was called 'Merriman'. Clean, nicely decorated and had everything we needed. The small kitchen area had a fridge and microwave. There was plenty of tea/coffee stuff and three packs of tasty biscuits in the fridge! We had a good night's sleep in a comfy bed. Breakfast was delicious. A helpful girl took our order straight away. I had pancakes, bacon, maple syrup and scrambled eggs. My husband had the full English. It arrived promptly and was really well cooked. There was lots of extra stuff available to help yourself to e.g. cereal, fruit, yoghurt, waffles. On checking out, we met the other owner who was also very friendly and helpful. We would definitely recommend Butlers and will be staying here again if we ever return to Cheltenham.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed here for one night. Everything was fantastic. The owners were exceptionally friendly and welcoming. They also provided lots of useful information about the local area. My top-floor room was wonderful with lovely decor, a very comfortable bed, a spotless bathroom and a small kitchen.

Breakfast in the morning was as good as I have ever had in any hotel or restaurant. I had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which was delicious. Others were eating what looked like very good full English breakfasts. Fresh fruit, yoghurts and cereal was also available.

The owners happily allowed me to leave my bag at the property the next day.

It is located 15 mins walk away from the town centre and 10 mins from the railway station.

I can't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Was travelling on my own and arrived here at 1730 on 30th January 2013 and was welcomed with a warm smile and offered tea/coffee. I was shown to my room which was clean, nice and warm ( tea coffee was also provided in the room) . Very nice and clean en-suite shower . I was given a map of the area , which was really helpful and thoughtful as I wanted to go out for a meal . I had the Brabinger Suite booked so the bed was a double, nice pillows and sheets and very comfortable therefore I slept like a log. In the morning breakfast was being served from 0730 onwards so I made my way down to the dining area which I must say was bright and clean and quirky in a nice way. I was welcomed by a young lady who with a nice warm smile, instead of rushing me to get me out of the way as quick as possible, let me settle down before asking me what I would like for breakfast to which I responded "Smoked Salmon & scrambled eggs" which were made to perfection (hence I returned the plate spotless). My compliments to the Chef who was really welcoming and nice. I know where I would be booking my stay next time I travel to Cheltenham.
This is a hidden gem. :-) P.S. also WiFi provided free. :-)

Room Tip: If you are booking a night for 1 go for the Brabinger Suite. :-)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed here a couple of times and absolutely love the place! We found our room warm and cosy considering how deathly cold it was outside. Very well appointed rooms with en suits, comfy beds and importantly, comfy pillows. The lounge is lovely and big and a great place to read all the fascinating books or meet fellow guests. Many thanks to Guy and Robert whom we found to be warm and attentive hosts with great knowledge of the local area. Oh, and Robert’s scrambled eggs in the morning are worth a trip to Butlers alone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Me and my wife have now been to Butlers on 3 occasions, and every single time i have nothing but the highest praise for our stays there. As you arrive, the building and setting is beautiful. When you walk in, you see the effort that has been made to make it a welcoming place to come and stay. The owners are kind, helpful and will help you out in any way they can. A quiet area, the rooms are lovely, comfortable and with no noise a good nights sleep is guaranteed. Breakfast was beautiful. The food is cooked the way you ask for it, and i cannot recommend enough a stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Though the owners were away on holiday, as promised, their deputies looked after us really well. The rooms are very comfortable and likewise the lounge. Decorated and appointed well, it had a really relaxing atmosphere. Close enough to town to walk in and yet in a peaceful street. Perfectly cooked breakfasts and lots of choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Butlers? Share your experiences!