“'Cool' hotel, friendly staff, a few issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Montpellier Chapter Hotel

You added The Montpellier Chapter Hotel to your Saves list
The Montpellier Chapter Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bayshill Road | Montpellier, Cheltenham GL50 3AS, England   |
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Cheltenham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“'Cool' hotel, friendly staff, a few issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel has many good features, but does not deliver in some areas.

Stayed in a superior room. Comfortable king-size bed. Powerful shower over bath. Free wifi. Coffee machine. Complimentary mini bar, (containing 2 beers, 1 diet coke, 1 coke, 1 sprite, 1 still water, 1 sparkling water and small bottle of semi-skimmed milk).

Toiletries are nice - REN, but disappointingly (for me), apart from body lotion, presented in large dispensers attached to walls (I do like having something to take home when paying a premium rate for a room).

Towels generous and fluffy, as was the dressing gown, but no slippers.

Mood lighting OK, but would have been nice if staff had explained where instructions for use were. Also, at brightest light not good - really need an illuminated shaving/make-up mirror in bathroom. Some lamps not working (staff did come immediately to try and sort out). Hair dryer very well hidden (again would have been helpful to have been told where it was).

The ipod seems to be a gimmick that has 'over promised'. Very little music, empty albums and played through TV, so not good quality - sound better through speaker in bathroom!

Heating/air con very noisy fan. In the end had to switch it off, as this combined with odd random beeps in the night (not sure where they were from), not conducive to sleeping.

Breakfast very ordinary. Quite limited choice of cereals, no yogurt, limited choice of fruit. Cooked breakfast included just 1 rasher of bacon and 1 sausage. Poached eggs were the highlight of breakfast, (which bizarrely was garnished with a bit of parsley).

Overall not a bad hotel, but few things could do with a bit of attention.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at The Chapter Hotel last week when my temp PA booked me in not knowing I usually stay somewhere else. It was the first time I had stayed here and, after I got over my initial surprise of the open reception desk and the fact that someone actually checked me in whilst we sat on the sofas by a fire (nice touch), I decided I was very glad she did! I was offered help to the room with my luggage - something we business people don't get offered very often - and was shown how all the technology worked (Ipod, lights, Nespresso machine, laptop safe and plenty of ports for your computer). I liked the size of the room - I think I was in a Superior room.It was fine for my needs and well appointed. There was complimentary beer in the mini-bar which was great to see after a long day travelling. I did eat in the restaurant, although I only had one course and it was steak so not much to say except it was well cooked and the service was quick and friendly. I had a good nights sleep - beds are very comfy indeed. Check out was a quick and efficient as check in. I will definitely be staying here again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights. There was nothing superior about the first superior room I was given! Two people would have been v crowded! The second room was better, beds v comfortable, but rooms very dark and gloomy. Bathroom good, complimentary mini bar a nice touch (beer, water, soft drinks and a bar of chocolate). Coffee machine looked good, but despite instructions, I couldn't make it work. iPod in the room - does anyone use it? The service in the restaurant was slow and, at times, reluctant. The meeting room was subterranean and gloomy. Overall unattractive and unimpressive. I won't be going again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We just love this hotel. The service is amazing, all of the staff are incredibly friendly, professional and above all hard working. Superb bar snacks, afternoon tea and amazing cocktails. I cannot rate this place highly enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Perfect location - close to the hip bars and restaurants and boutique shops of Montpellier. This hotel, and the room we stayed in (218), were probably one of the highest ranking of all of my experiences. The staff were first class too (love the suits and converse trainers as the uniform !

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with the Baths in them 118 and 218 instantly spring to mind
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Some friends and I stayed at The Montpellier Chapter at the beginning of February and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
The rooms were spotless, spacious and the beds were very comfortable.
We enjoyed cocktails in the bar before having dinner in the restaurant which had a very relaxed yet vibrant ambience.
The food was delicious and the service was excellent.
The staff were very attentive and we never once had to wait for our drinks to be refilled.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and would visit again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel is very funky and has some nice features. The bar staff are very good and there is an excellent afternoon tea. The problem seems to be that the management are not out the front leading the staff. Our breakfast order on our first morning was muddled and when it was corrected the bacon was undercooked and the sausage was cold having been pre-cooked.
We had no hot water in our room the first night and intermittently in the morning. The management seemed to know something about the problem stating that sometimes the pump cuts out. We were going out to a function and meant that we had to forgo a shower or bath. We stayed for two nights and when we checked out I asked if they had acknowleged anything towards our bill in view of the lack of hot water. The answer was a sheepish no from the manager with no further comment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Montpellier Chapter Hotel? Share your experiences!