“What no Eggs!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Bank House Wetherspoon

The Bank House Wetherspoon
15-21 Clarence Street, Cheltenham GL50 3JL, England (Formerly The Bank House)
01242 240940
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“What no Eggs!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

2nd time only at this restaurant. I waited so that I could judge it on an average rather than a once only visit. The first visit impressed me. The food was OK and represented good value for the payment made. The bitter was really good at only £1.90 a pint. I had the ham and eggs with new potatoes(cannot eat chips) and the ham was a good portion as too were the potatoes. The egg was cooked properly with no burnt edges and a runny yolk. Staff were very nice and the whole lunch time ran smoothly and getting back to work on time was not a problem.
The 2nd time was totally different. There was insufficient staff to cope with the number of customers,making a waiting time to order food about 10 minutes and a further wait for the service of about 15 minutes. The beer price was back up to around £2.60 and due to some break down of one of the cooking appliances, they were unable to provide eggs with the ham and egg item on the menu. There was no mention of a reduction in the price even when I asked for it. My suggestion was met with a sullen, "No Chance" reply. Apparently the egg cooking arrangement had been "down" for a day or two. Why oh why could not a bit of initiative be used and the manager buy a good size frying pan or skillet and get those eggs back on the menu.
Staff were not too friendly so I guess that they were all working hard because of the lack of help.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dursley, United Kingdom
“Depends on the Chef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I wrote a review of the Willow Walk pub in Victoria London which was similar in some respects to those of Paul_Edmunds-23 concerning his wife's meal at this Wetherspoons. Fortunately neither my wife or I have ever been disappointed with the meals we have had at the Bank House in Cheltenham. The size of the meal matched the price we paid and the food was good to eat. However, it would seem that we might have been fortunate and eating at Wetherspoons as it could be seen to be a bit of a lottery going on what others have written.

I have to be totally honest and reiterate the fact that we have always had a good meal there Sept. 10th 2013, and the service is good and friendly with good wine and beer selection. It seems to be always full when we are there with a constant flow of diners, which must be a good sign.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
“Possibly the most awful meal I have ever had, receipt no 59/8542”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife , my son & I visited the old bank house on fri 29th June for a late lunch. We chose our meals & ordered at which point we were told there would be a 20min wait, no problem there. However after 35mins my mixed grill turned up, at first I thought there may have been some side dishes to come as it was so tiny. My sons meal turned up a few mins later & the waitress wandered off saying "enjoy your meal" at this point I realised that what was on my plate was all there was going to be.
The plate consisted of a 2" square of steak which was so tough as to be impossible to cut with a conventional knife, the sausage was over cooked, dried out & solid, a single mushroom which was burnt & tasted so, 3 small pieces of thick over cooked bacon & approx a dozen chips. All in all a tiny portion of quite possibly the worst meal I have ever been served. I didn't expect top quality at those prices but I did expect something which was edible. I promptly returned my meal for a refund & upon returning to my table I found my wife attempting to eat a nan bread which was dough at one end & solid at the other & popadom which which had the texture & colour of parchment. An extremely poor quality meal all around. Please don't waste your money, go somewhere else.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“tuesday steak deals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I both had a sirloin steak with chips,peas and a mushroom. It was all cooked to our liking and the service was excellent. This with a pint of Guiness for me plus a pint of lager for my wife all came to less than £14. Cheers Weatherspoons.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Standard Weatherspoons - good value food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

As you expect in a Weatherspoons, especially for breakfast... it was quiet, hardly anyone else in the place which I find surprising as the food is adequate and good value for money. It sometimes seems strange going into a pub, with sports Tv, for breakpast. However, the food was hot and good value for money. Staff were good, although definately not rushed off their feed. It seems a shame, however, i will return if in the area.

Visited June 2013