“By far the most welcoming people I've ever met. Lovely Lovely people - a lot of hoteliers could learn a thing or two!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Cheltenham Queens Hotel

Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Cheltenham
Surprise, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I have to tell you up front the only reason this place does not get 5 stars is for a simple one. The hotel does not appear to have climate control.

Picture this, - 2 weary travelers from the US arrive to Heathrow at approximately 23h50, and need to drive to picturesque Cheltenham in the Cotswolds. We make the drive easily, wearily through. As we arrive into the city we find this grand hotel on the mouth of a park, where we will be staying.

It is approximately 01h40 by this time (yes, lead foot) and we meet the front desk clerk. This man is wonderful. He could tell we just had a horrific day and had us checked in and ready to go very quickly. So friendly and efficient - we could use a drink my co-worker said, and the bar lit up. We asked the barman for a drink and he said he would stay open until we had our fill. Imagine that, very unexpected anyway - beyond hospitable.

The rooms were interesting, as is the building - It is a very historic building and the room was slightly quirky but very efficient and comfortable. My only gripe was that the only way to cool off was to open a window. Flat screen TV, beautiful breakfast and friendly staff the next morning. I only was able to stay one night there but I would again in a pinch only due to the non availability of aircon.

Great job though, your people are excellent. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: The rooms all seem different! :) I don't really know how to recommend one, the lift is small but...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Mercure Cheltenham Queens Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Peter Watt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Dorset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

The decor is a little tired but I had the most enormous bedroom with a lovely view across the green. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast service could have been better but I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Mercure Cheltenham Queens Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

GENERAL MANGER
Limassol, Cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

The Queen's appears to be living on its reputation rather than making every effort to impress its guests. It started with us paying handsomely (> £100) for a small bedroom buried in the back of the hotel only then to find that breakfast (> £13) and car parking (£10) wasn't included in the price! Then the room, only 2 pillows on the bed (and only one (!) spare in the wardrobe), rust on a metal bar holding the shower door in place, mould on the cracks between the bathroom tiles....I could go on.
In sum, I'd probably not stay again because I suspect there are nicer places to stay in Cheltenham that offer better overall value for money.

Room Tip: Go for the suites at the front of the hotel overlooking the Promenade.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that your recent stay at the Queen's Hotel did not meet your expectations.

I have spoken in detail with the head housekeeper and the maintenance engineer, and the room you were allocated has had a thorough inspection and one odf my main targets since becoming general manager is to ensure that all bathrooms and tiles have been thorough deep cleaned and repaired. We are slowly achieving our target but it has taken a little longer than expected.

In closing I thank you for your feedback

Yours sincerely

GENERAL MANAGER
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The exterior of the building is very impressive and as a regular Mercure user I had great expectations for my one night stay. Unfortunatly the room I was allocated did not live up to my previous experiences of a 4 star Mercure property. The room was a bit shabby and upon closer inspection a bit dirty. Bed was not particularly comfortable with only one pillow. Staff in the bar and reception seemed very nice but not overly friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the Queen's Hotel. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy the bedroom you were allocated for your stay I have since spoken to the head housekeeper and she has done a thorough inspection of your room and the appropriate action has been taken.

We have recently made a number of management changes within the team, and they have all been given a number of targets to complete in particular our internal guest service programme.

The building is beautiful and full of history, thank you

Yours sincerely

Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Peter and his team did an excellent job. I was on an extended business trip and am glad someone reccomended the Queens. The location was perfect with a variety of restauraunts and things to do within a short walking distance. The staff was friendly and courteous. The rooms were clean and well lit. The meals I had, breakfast and room service were quite tasty. I enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Have stayed here many times before, but this is my first review! Had booked through a last-minute website the day before and got a very reasonable rate. On arrival, was told the booking had only just come through, so was offered an upgrade which was nice.
I would echo many of the comments made - lovely atmosphere about the place, and I don't mind the squeaky floors. Previously I found rooms at the front of the hotel suffer from on-street noise owing to lack of double glazing, those at the rear have views over walls and windows. We had a rear-facing one, with massive windows - the curtains are very effective, but when you're getting up in the morning some natural light would be nice, but is impossible due to lack of net curtains. The bed was huge and we had a great night's sleep. The power shower took so long to get any hot water through that I reverted to the hand-held one off the bath taps. A newspaper we hadn't ordered was outside the door and we were duly charged for it - decided not to make a fuss as it was our normal paper anyway.
The single lift is extremely slow and not large - if your room is on 1st or maybe even 2nd floor, it would be quicker to take the stairs. If you have large and heavy cases, expect a long wait.
Evening meal was from the 3 courses for £18 menu. Let's say you get what you pay for! Wine is nice but not cheap. Lady waitress very polite and professional. The young man waiting definitely struts his stuff and could do with a bit less swagger (don't hold a bottle of cold white wine under your arm!)
Breakfast was adequate without any real wow factor, and as others have said, the toasters take so long I gave up before the hot meal got cold.
Reception staff are very polite - when you have their attention. They have a habit of two of them engaging with a single customer while others are waiting.
Overnight parking charge of £10 is, I suppose, par for the course these days, but still seems steep.
All said, the central location is excellent. I still enjoy the place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Mercure Cheltenham Queens Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. The issues you raised will be investigated and addressed by the Managers concerned.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Peter Watt

Been to Mercure Cheltenham Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!