“Super hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Super hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on a cheap break and it was very good
The staff a very friendly and helpful. Excellent
Our room was a nice part of the hotel on the ground floor the drawback was that it was for disabled people and had a wet room,so it seemed to get flooded every time you had a shower
The pool and gym were fine
Our stay included dinner on the second night and this was very good and nicely presented
I do think they should have checked with us that the wet was ok and maybe we should have asked to be changed although we were happy with the rooms location

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Eye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Good standard of all-round care here. Travelled with a coach party and the welcome was particularly good and efficient. Evening meal one night was a disaster but complaints were accepted, apologised for and we continued to be very well looked after thereafter. Would stay there again. The only possible downside is a query about security as it was very easy to access the hotel through a door which led to the car park, without going anywhere near reception. Reception doors also appeared to be open even in the evenings but maybe it was safer than it appeared.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Hamble, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

Friendly service, reasonable menu, well appointed clean rooms, free wifi and reasonable rates. Does everything you need for a work night away.

It's not the type of hotel you'd stay in for a romantic weekend break, but I don't think it's trying to be that kind of hotel.

I've stayed here several times for work and it's consistently delivered on what I need for those trips. I'll stay again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Whilst this may not be the best hotel that I have ever stayed in, it could well be the best hotel that I have ever stayed in for the extremely modest price that I paid.

The guy on the reception desk was really friendly, my room was more than adequate and there's a swimming pool.

I chose this hotel because I needed to be close to Gloucestershire Airport (I'm a freelance pilot and was working there very early the following day). I paid a 'Travelodge price' and got something way better. A month earlier I stayed at a somewhat disappointing hotel in this same area and paid around the same price. This is infinitely better.

Next time that I need to stay in this area, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night with family. The hotel is good base to stay at whilst travelling around the Cotswolds.
The rooms are comfortable the beds are good quality. The size of our room was average. There was no Air conditioning in the room but it wasn't particularly hot or stuffy inside and the hotel had already placed a fan in the room.

I missed having a minibar/fridge a bit.

Housekeeping staff were well trained and very courteous and said hello greeting us every time we passed them in the hallways. This impressed me.

The bathrooms were average.

Breakfast was plentiful and the service at breakfast was very polite and efficient.

Great to have a swimming pool. My daughter really enjoyed having a splash about.

The check out by William was very efficient and cheerful and was a good lasting impression.

Stayed August 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I've just returned from 2 nights at this hotel. If you need disabled facilities, efficiency and well trained staff, don't stay here!! My husband and I took my 90 year old mother and his 86 year old mother as part of my mother's 90th birthday present. I'd booked a wheelchair access twin and an executive double room for us. We arrived in reception with my mother in a wheelchair and mother-in-law walking with sticks. We were allotted our rooms and discovered that the lift was at the other end of the hotel, down 2 sets of steps. This obviously required us to use the 2 wheelchair lifts before we even got to the actual lift! This was only just large enough for my mother's compact wheelchair and myself! The allotted rooms were neither wheelchair accessible, nor what I would rate as executive. Apparently, the disabled facilities room had been allocated to someone else and we were told it would only be available the following day! Miraculously, this room suddenly became available when we made a fuss (via the only member of staff who actually made an effort to help us out - a young male trainee - to whom we send grateful thanks). We discovered a route without using any lifts ourselves - the hotel did not bother to tell us about. Our executive room was meant to be on the quieter side of the hotel. It overlooked the bins and we were awoken at 06:15 as the glass bins were being emptied! The room was small and dismal, with mould behind the bath taps, terrible TV reception on BBC1, a dodgy bedside light and a safe on the floor in corner the wardrobe just by the door to the room - almost inaccessible to the able bodied!
ukexplorer44 is correct about the state of the pool and changing facilities - definitely past their best! Very small pool, only just over a metre deep, broken or missing tiles and draughty!
Food was fine - no small portions for elderly guests, willing to pay full prices! Restaurant staff appeared poorly trained to talk to guests in a professional yet friendly manner and service was slow. I asked for a liqueur coffee at 21:15 on Sunday evening only to be told the coffee machine was being cleaned and it takes a long time! Surely this should be done AFTER the bar is closed. Rooms are accessed using a plastic card - all 4 of which failed on more than one occasion. We were only told to keep these away from mobile phones shortly before leaving!
Car parking costs £6.50 per 24 hours, even though the hotel appears to be set in its own grounds with a large car park. I wouldn't stay again in this supposedly 4 star rated hotel. They seem to thrive on business guests whilst side-lining others. What a shame, as there is potential to be really special!

Room Tip: Might need a suite or a wheelchair access room to get enough space. Executive room was very small a...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

on arrival at the thistle the bar, restaurant and reception areas are well presented. the room was modern, the carpets weren't hovered very well and a note of complaint had been left on the dressing table from the previous customers. the bathroom needed a refurb as the bath tub was very stained but the power of the shower of the shower itself was lovely. The staff were helpful and chatty.
We went as part of a coach trip and had a set menu, which everyone commented, didn't give much choice but the food that came out was well presented and was cooked well.
The pool facilities were a bit shabby, the tiles and grouting needs renewing as its mouldy in places and the ladies showers were disgusting with a lot of mould in them. The gym was well equipped.

Room Tip: ask for a room that has been refurbished.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Thistle Cheltenham Hotel? Share your experiences!