“Take a hike!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 16 Attractions in Cheltenham
Type: Scenic/ Historic Walking Areas, Hiking Trails, Trails, Cultural
Activities: Walking, Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: This 104-mile hiking trail starts close to Shakespeare's Stratford and finishes in Bath, as it winds through pretty countryside and delightful villages steeped in history.
London, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
“Take a hike!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Highly recommended for walking the Cotswolds hills! Just get yourself some printed directions for any of the walks, and then follow the signs along the way. Idyllic countryside! Not to be missed!

Visited October 2013

San Diego, California
“Hiking the Cotswold Way with Cotswold Walks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I walked the Cotswold Way in June, 2013, with five other couples from San Diego, California. We hiked 70 miles of the 102-mile trail, to symbolically celebrate our 70th birthdays. The average age of the group was 67. We all like to hike, but we don’t enjoy carrying heavy backpacks or sleeping in tents, and at the end of the day we appreciate a good dinner cooked by someone else, perhaps accompanied by a glass of wine or local ale. We wanted to start at the north end of the trail in Chipping Campden and finish at the south end of the trail in Bath, walking no more than 10 miles a day, for about nine days.

We found the perfect person to make it all happen in Andrew, of Cotswold Walks, a local outfitter who personally knows the owners of inns and restaurants all along the Cotswold Way. Andrew arranged to have our bags transported to the next inn each day by local taxi drivers, who sometimes ferried tired members of our group, as well. We each carried only a small backpack with water, snacks, camera and emergency rain gear. When the distance between towns was more than 10 miles and when we wanted a lift for the last few miles of trail along the busy highway into Bath, he arranged for van drivers to pick us up and deliver us to the next inn. In this way, we saw the best of the best, along 70 miles of the trail.

We can’t say enough good things about Andrew and his company, Cotswold Walks. Through his local connections, he personally made sure we were well taken care of at each of the inns and that we toured the most interesting castles, abbeys and archaeological sites along the way. Andrew even took care of the weather, as we hiked under sunny skies for nine days, with no rain until the last hour of our hike, just outside of Bath.

San Diego Kay

Visited June 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
18 attraction reviews
“The Heart of England”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Don't miss these rolling hills, thatched cottages, and manicured hedge rows nestled in the middle of England. The Cotswolds have a unique charm that is worth the trip. If you are in London, rent a car and drive out to this quintessential part of Great Britain. Driving on the "wrong" side of the car and the "wrong" side of the road make for a memorable trip.

Visited January 2013
Painswick, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Long Distance Footpath Through the English Countryside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We live in a village on the Cotswold Way and over the years have walked many parts of it, but we had never walked the entire trail that stretches 102 miles from Chipping Campden to Bath. In June we decided to do the whole trail. Instead of staying in B&Bs and hotels along the way, we drove out each morning, parked, walked, then took a bus or taxi back to the car (or vice versa, depending on bus schedules). We did the "nice and easy" version as outlined in the Cotswold Way National Trail guide, taking 14 days to do the walk. Many people do it in 7 - 10 days, walking longer days than we did.

Doing this walk was a wonderful experience and gave me a better understanding of the area. The trail is well marked, the route takes in the best of the Cotswolds, there is a good amount of up and down to give you a good workout and make the walking interesting. The trail was designed to walk mostly in peaceful countryside and to go through beautiful villages.

If you are coming from outside this area, you could base in a vacation rental (holiday cottage) and do it as we did, driving out each day. This lets you take a day off if you are tired, or if it is raining. Or you can use one of the local walking companies, like Cotswold Walks ( http://www.cotswoldwalks.com ), to book your B&Bs and arrange your luggage transfer. Whichever way you do it, this is a travel experience that you won't forget.

Visited June 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Cotswold Way North-to-South May 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I caught the long-distance walking bug after my walk from Tui to Santiago de Compostela, Spain in October, 2012. My review of that trip is also somewhere on TripAdvisor. The 100-mile Cotswold Way in England was also a lot of fun. It has a lot of up-and-down. I told friends after the walk that the designers must love views from hill-tops. Some, like Cleeve Hill are quite a climb. You spend a lot of time traversing sheep and cattle pastures, so watching your step is a big past-time. The most delightful parts are the well-maintained trails through woods. I mostly stayed in B&Bs that I arranged months in advance, so keeping to your daily distance goals is quite important. I ate mostly in pubs (sampling the real ales), or picked up sandwich material in grocery stores. I'm 65, but in pretty good shape. A 9-day itinerary worked out real well for me, with daily distances ranging from 10 to 16 miles per day. I was told that May 2013 was more like a typical April. So, I had spitting rain and wind in the face most days. I got used to it, and I actually would like to be a little on the cool side than overheated when I walk. I carried a pack weighing around 30 pounds, with lunch, water, camera, etc. in an English woman's straw shopping bag that a nice B&B owner gave to me. This resulted in no end of teasing along the trail, but it sure worked well and helped take some weight off my shoulders. I also used an umbrella and wore low-cut (Rick Steves-style) walking shoes that also got some looks from the serious ramblers I met. I find that keeping your feet cool is the best way to avoid blisters, and low cut walking shoes work out well for me in this regard. I must have pretty strong ankles - never had a problem on either trip, and not one blister. Overall the walk was a blast - I highly recommend it. I met many very nice people, and saw some spectacular scenery. I stayed at the Bath YMCA for a few days after the walk - highly recommended for a basic, reasonably-priced room.

Visited May 2013