“Over priced for what you get” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
Essex
75 attraction reviews
“Over priced for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Popped in here whilst in Bourton and felt it was expensive at £8.50 for a family of 4 as there is really nothing much to see. I would judge a place based on how good it is AND price paid for what is on offer.

There was just 2 model railway displays in 2 rooms with a few press buttons to make the trains go. What there was was well done, but just very little there! Have been to much better and larger model railway exhibitions. We tried to stay as long as possible to get our moneys worth but 15 minutes was about as long as we could manage staring at 2 displays and sadly the place smelled really bad too. Would of rated it higher if we had paid £4 which we felt would be about right for a 10-15 minute look.

Visited September 2012

Melbourne, Australia
97 attraction reviews
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This is an ok model railway, three decent sized dioramas with stop/ start buttons on the 2nd two dioramas that will keep the kids entertained. Is a bit tired ( and there's a noticeable amount of dust on the models) but its reasonably priced, £10 for 5 of us,mand we spent a good 45 minutes before the kids got bored

Swansea
9 attraction reviews
“My two sons loved this more than I expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I remember visiting this 30 years ago when I was young and it probably hasn't changed much. In truth when I first walked in I wondered if my children would like it compared to modern-day high-tech entertainments, but they loved it. Simple pleasures. What really grabbed them was the fact you can control the trains yourself, however, being picky, it was not always easy or immediately obvious what you were controlling, but persevere, and this became part of the fun of working this all out.

Visited February 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“My Son loved it, but very rude staff which totally spoiled it for us.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I grew up going here and now my son could spend all afternoon in there when we visit grandparents. However, when we visited just after Christmas, the couple (especially the lady) serving us were very rude and not at all family friendly telling me 'you're not going to win' as I politely asked a question. The whole experience was extremely disappointing and quite upsetting. If this kind of poor customer service can be overlooked, then it is suitable for children who will enjoy it if they are into trains. I hope she was just having a bad day!

Visited December 2012
Broadway, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
“Model railway with a certain charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Over the Christmas holidays the weather didn't lend itself to getting outdoors too much and in need of a distraction to stop our young boys going stir crazy we scooped up Granny and headed over to the Model Railway Exhibition in Bourton. Although I had visited the toy shop more recently, it was my visit to the exhibition since I had been a boy and it was exactly how I remembered.

The boys were entranced by the first layout with the changing lights and equally with the other layouts and the buttons to control the trains. Okay, the layouts are many years old now, but the good variety of stock ensures interest is kept and keeps children (young and old!) happily entertained.

My only reservation would the size of the place. When we visited in winter we almost had the place to ourselves. I would imagine in summer it gets a lot busier and more crowded which would impair the experience.

Visited December 2012