“Disappointed with cleanliness” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Victoria St., Bourton-on-the-Water GL54 2BX, England   |
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Disappointed with cleanliness”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights on a B&B basis. We had a room overlooking the river. The location of the room was good except that there is a lot of traffic noise early in the morning. The breakfast we had was good and we also had an evening meal which was very good. However a major disappointment was the cleanliness of the room, and in particular the bathroom. We complained in the morning and were told that the room would be given a deep clean. When we came back later in the day the room was still not cleaned to our expectations. I asked the receptionist to come to look at the room and she agreed it was not good enough. We asked to move rooms but the alternative we were shown was not any better. I asked to speak to the manager and he agreed not to charge us for one night - this was a nice gesture but I would have preferred to have paid in full and for everything to have been as expected. In general I would say that the staff were polite and helpful but I don't think I would stay here again - unless, of course, the standard of cleanliness improved.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us, where I am sorry that you found the cleanliness was not up to your expectations or our high standards. I have shared this with my housekeepers and we are working hard towards ensuring we avoid these issues again. I hope one day to welcome you back to the Old Manse, Chris, General Manager.

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed here for my wifes birthday in June.The hotel was clean and tidy, and the receptionists were friendly and helpful.We had a smallish room with a king sized double which was fine. Although the quilt was slightly too small.The bathroom was clean and tidy and the shower was hot.The TV however kept blocking on picture and muting on sound.The strange thing was the regional news was the BBC South Feed ?Why on earth would you be interested in Southamptons news in the cotswolds !!!
We had booked in for an evening meal, and it was fine. The food was good value and was enjoyable.I had my favourite beer specked hen, and that was good too.We would stay again next time we are in that area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking time in providing feedback on your recent stay, where I have shared all of your comments with the team. We understand the issues surrounding the TV signal, where Geography and Transmitters, do affect our reception quality from time to time which is sadly currently beyond our control. I am however glad to hear that this did not detract from your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chris, General Manager.
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Everything was just right, the location, the room, comfotable bed, and a good breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Beware though this hotel is right in the centre of the village which is very, very busy in high season. If you want quiet and peaceful this isn't for you.. Also parking can be an issue as the hotel's car park is quite small.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback, it was great to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. We hope to see you again soon.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The only thing we really wanted was a quiet room. I'd asked for that ahead of time and asked again when we checked in. I was told that it was a quiet area and all the rooms were quiet.

When we got to room 10 we found there was a hugely noisy extractor fan from the kitchen right next to the window. We were told it was the only room available (though there was a sign outside advertising room vacancies, right next to the sign saying they had job vacancies in the front of house and the kitchen - both full time and part time) and that the fan would go off at 10pm.

It went off on schedule, revealing the sound of another extractor that had been drowned out by the first. After I asked, this too was turned off, but that revealed a third level of noise, including the pump for the fountain that's intended to create a sound to cover the other noises.

Added to all this, the hotel is cheaply converted with tiny bathrooms whose own fans go off whenever you put the light on.

The staff's bedrooms are above the guest rooms and naturally the staff go to the bathroom after their shift. So we had the sound of as many as 3 bathroom fans through the thin ceiling and walls, till after 1am. Then it all started again after 6am.

If we'd had a car we'd have left in the night, but we were on a walking tour - hence the need for quiet and sleep.

I spoke to the manager, who'd been absent when we checked in. He was politely interested in what I had to say but not apparently disappointed, concerned, or even surprised.

This place trades off the fact there will always be more visitors to such a scenic town, drawn by an attractive-looking hotel. I can't imagine anyone going back.

Room Tip: This hotel is selling you space in rooms that are not fit for purpose. Don't do it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
I would like to thank you for you recent feedback of your stay with us and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. The Old Manse is an historic building with the bedrooms in keeping with a building of its size, which the majority of our guests find confortable and relaxing, with many returning to the Old Manse a base to explore the Cotswolds. I hope one day to welcome you back to the Old Manse. Chris, General Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We called in for lunch over a May 2013 weekend. I ordered a chicken pie with Veg and Chips.

The vegetables had all gone off. Broccoli was brown and boiled to the max. I asked for a replacement but was then to my shock brought brown beans!

Everything about my meal was simple cooking, my carrots had skin left on them in big patches and looked like they had been chopped by a 5 year old and lacking in number. The portion sizes were child like and some chips soggy over cooked and others raw potato. My pie resembled a piece of chicken breast in a soggy pastry. Not even close to a crispy pie/ upright pie I was expecting for £9.85!

I was eventually offered chips to replace my veg as they had ran out. Again the same issue. By this time I had had enough. Most of the waitresses seemed to be in a daydream and lack basic waitressing skills and others In a panic.

It disappoints me to write bad reviews about service and food as the location is sublime. The food just didn't come up to scratch and only by not doing the basic cooking/ waitressing skills.

Shame.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time in providing us feedback on your lunchtime visit, where I have shared your comments with the team and head chef. We are always looking at ways to improve our service and are currently undergoing fresh recruitment and training with the team, which I feel will restore the high standards that we are accustomed to. I hope to welcome you back to the Old Manse in the future. Chris, General Manager.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had booked in for three nights and left after the first night!! When we arrived the room was small the shower just about too small to shower in and there was no soap or shampoo so had to ring down and get some. The Internet came and went and was just about impossible to use when I asked the staff for help I got a blank look. When we came down for breakfast at 9.45 was advised that it was on sat and Sunday to 12.00 being Saturday we thought we had plenty of time but everything was cleared about right on ten.Although we were still waiting our your meal when it arrived one egg came we order two and soggy toast and the staff couldn't give a stuff .When we advised the manager we were leaving early he didn't ask why and didn't give a stuff and was more interested in making sure he charged us for the morning paper. Anyone thinking to book this place think again great location tired staff and rooms which rated two stars not four a back backer has better service. Don't brother going to the bar the attitude is the same with a longer wait.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking the time in posting feedback on your recent stay, where myself and the team are saddened to read your review. Our AA 4 star rating is based on the “Inns” classification, as supposed to that of “Hotels”, which is clearly noted within our reception area. We are proud to have achieved this within a building of this age, where the rooms are very much in keeping with the size and location, providing the vast majority of our guests with a comfortable and relaxing stay. We care about all of our guests and work very hard to ensure that everyone enjoys their time with us and hope one day to welcome you back with us. Chris, General Manager.
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Some on the standard double rooms are small, and whilst the bedding, etc, is very clean, the rooms are in need of updating. The rooms facing out over the river are of a much better size, but the increase in price reflects that. The food is plentiful, varied, and tasty, & the position of the hotel is excellent. Staff are mostly friendly & helpful-such a pity that the rooms are somewhat charmless. Certainly with some updating, much would be done to encourage a return visit.

Room Tip: Pay for a superior room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time in providing feedback on your stay with us. We are currently undertaking remedial works on all rooms and am glad that you otherwise enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Old Manse in the future. Chris, General Manager.

Been to Old Manse Hotel? Share your experiences!