“a small property with individual attetion” 4 of 5 stars

Bibury Court Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bibury Court, Bibury GL7 5NT, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Bibury
Seattle, Washington
“a small property with individual attetion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at Bibury Court from Nov 4 2012 to 8 November 2012. We found the place and grounds quaint and very comfortable. The food was superb. I would recommend for a couples get away. When we checked in, we found the manager who was there was on her first day on the job. We found all the staff gracious and helpful. It seems prices in the UK are much higher (30-40 percent) than we are accustomed to, but one adapts and can reconcile to the situation.

I see there was a complaint by an earlier reviewer about the management. With the replacement that is currently there, all should be rectified in future.

Room Tip: ask to stay facing the church and on the top floor. It's a climb, but the peace is wonderful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

278 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for just one night in a "Grand" room, which believe had been refurbished quite recently. The room was a great size, with a huge and very comfortable bed. The decor, although a little old fashioned for my taste, was in keeping with the property and very well kept.

The room had been set up with a travel cot for me as I was travelling with my baby and the staff were very helpful in getting her pram up to our first floor room (there are no lifts).

I ordered from room service for dinner and the burger although looking impressive was just too big to eat and a little greasy. The food arrived quickly and the staff followed my instructions so as not to wake my baby when they delivered the meal.

Breakfast was a little chaotic. We stayed as part if a large group and the staff set up a table to seat us all, but we never seemed to have enough warm toast. The full English was disappointing, like the burger the night before, it looked great, but the bacon was too salty and the sausage (whilst clearly good quality) was really not nice.

I would happily stay in this hotel again in another refurbished room, but would probably avoid it in one of the lesser rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

"I would like afternoon tea in a lovely hotel" was my wife's reply to our children's question, "What would you like for your birthday Mum?"
What a wonderful experience it was from the very start, as we passed through the gates into the grounds, the sunlit lawns, the autumnal colours of the trees and the spectacular old mansion all combined to bring smiles to our faces.
We were ushered through to the lounge and made to feel very welcome as we sat down on the comfortable armchairs and sofas', a log fire making for a pleasant temperature.
We all decided to go for the full works and we were not disappointed, the presentation and combination of 'goodies' went down very well!
We enjoyed a very relaxing time together, the ambience, food and location were perfect and worth every penny.
Thankyou Bibury Court.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The room was shabby, with stains on the carpets and in the bath. There wasnt even a bedside table on one side of the bed. The experience should have been country gentility instead it was seedy 1970's boarding house. I have no idea what the owners are thinking of charging £175 a night for that. Other hotels in the Cotswolds blow this away for quality and pampering. This hotel could have it all but sadly was wide of the mark. To have to wait for an hour to get your starter for evening meal was totally unacceptable and for the rest of the meal to take a further hour and a half was unforgivable. The staff were nice but there is something very wrong at this hotel when Americans are put in the best rooms, paying the same as us and we were put in the servents quarters. I would not stay here again but would highly recommend The Swan Hotel in the centre of Bibury which is perfect in every way. The Bibury Court could have been better than the Swan but the owners are arrogant and do not seem to care.

Room Tip: Do not stay here it is not worth your money and you will not enjoy the experience
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yvonne S, General Manager at Bibury Court Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Our apologies that you did not enjoy your experience at Bibury Court in the way that you should have. It is important to note that the management of the hotel changed on November 1st. In the short time that I have been in place we have made considerable improvement and are now very focussed on delivering great customer service consistently at all times. Please don't hold past experience against a young team working hard to move forward.
Kildare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

2nd time staying at BC and, once again, had a wonderful visit. Although the hotel was quiet (we stayed a Sunday and Monday evening) we didn't feel awkward as the staff are all well practised at helping you to feel valued and welcomed.

The hotel is a listed building and is extremely impressive, attractively eccentric and well looked after. The grounds are immaculate and relaxing, especially with the ivy and surrounding foliage in its full autumn colours. We had a lovely room but kicked ourselves for not asking for a tour of the other rooms whilst the hotel was empty as would love to come again and stay in one with a slightly grander bathroom (although ours was absolutely fine, I do like a stand alone bath!!).

The food on both evenings was very tasty and beautifully presented and we found all the staff to be attentive and more than capable.

Favourite moment was taking coffee, cheese and biscuits in the lounge next to the roaring log fire and being encouraged by the staff to relax, take our time and chill out.

Whilst I'm sure the hotel has both good days and bad days (as any English hotel does) it is a beautiful example of an English country house hotel with a very personalised service. We've stayed in July (when it was very busy) and October and been impressed both times. Thanks for a lovely stay, looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: All are individual so, if the booking staff have time, ask for what you specifically appreciate (i.e...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

While the food was all excellent, the service felt like we had arrived for day 1 of a new hotel school. Staff all tried hard but seemed disorganised from beginning to end. When our pre-dinner champagne order failed to materialise after 15 minutes we asked why the delay and were told it was being chilled. We ordered another one. Wait staff didn't know who in our party (of 4) had ordered which dish. We were asked what our desert order was before being given the desert menu. When I indicated on leaving that I didn't want to pay the optional service charge, I was not asked why and it took another 5 plus minutes for them to work out how to deal with this. We did enjoy the food however, so thank goodness the chef knew what s/he was doing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have visited the Bibury Court for light snack. When I come with my wife to the lounge I was pleased to have something to eat and a coffee in such place. I was really hungry so I wanted to eat in the bar hoping my food will arrive reasonably fast. we have looked in the menu I quickly spoted a club sandwich and that was my choice. We asked to order, my wife asked for the soup of the day which was cauliflower the waitress said, We were waiting around 30 min for our snacks to arrive, but then I assumed it needs time to prepare good quality food. After half an hour the food arrived, unfortunately soup was different flavor than waitress told us, and tasted really bad, sour, seemed to be tomato, also the portion was like from the kids menu. My club sandwich was not really tasty either consider 12£ I spent on it. No one bother to ask us if everything is ok, what i could hear though is waiters laughing and joking around, this was really disturbing.At the end I asked for the bill and saw it added service charge to my bill, i was pretty surprise that without asking and any information on the menu i will be charged for the service charge. I did not want to discuss with the staff about it. As they never asked how was my experience. Honestly I will be not visiting this place any more, unless they make so major changes

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bibury Court Hotel? Share your experiences!