“Good Value for money but avoid the cooked breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Scotland, Maryland
“Good Value for money but avoid the cooked breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

This hotel is very nice with good location and great rooms and friendly staff. The room rate was great at only £47 for the night.
The only criticism I have for the hotel was the cooked breakfast. The sausages were like nothing I had ever tasted before. They were tasteless, chewy and had an awful texture. The scrambled eggs were no better. They were rubbery & tastless, even with brown sauce added.
It is such a shame that something that is so easy to get right is so wrong. I would happily have paid an extra £5 to get a decent cooked breakfast.
I asked at the kitchen if they would make me a poached egg only to be told that they do not keep any eggs on site. When I asked them to explain how they made the scrambled eggs without any eggs on site they told me that the scrambled egg came in powdered form!!!!
The rest of the breakfast was lovely so please try and change this part.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear JakeMcc1410,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to Breakfast. It is correct that nearly all hotel brands in the uk will use a mix for scrambled eggs, this is to minimize salmonella poisoning. The hotel chains then will always have their food suppliers to explain this reasoning and not the hotel. As for the sausage I know our F&B Manager is doing a tasting session over the next week for quality on different brands.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express Colchester for your future travel needs.

Ashley Walker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I stayed in a holiday inn express in Northampton a week ago and was blown away by the whole experience, the quality of service and the excellent breakfast. Unfortunately the experience at Colchester holiday inn express has been different. It seemed that they were under staffed, although the staff that were there were pleasant. Breakfast however was awful. The cooked breakfast options were sausages, beans and scrambled egg, all apart from the beans were awful. The sausages tasted unlike any meat product I have ever tasted and the scrambled egg was just like rubber. I could go on at length but I won't. I'd rather pay an extra £5 and get a great breakfast like the week before in Northampton.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Duncan M,

Thank you very much for posting your recent review on TripAdvisor. Here at the Holiday Inn Express Colchester, guest’s views and opinions are very important to us, as they allow us to constantly improve the services we offer, and help us to provide a great hotel guests love.

I am very disappointed to hear your Breakfast was less than satisfying, I will be passing your comments onto our F&B Manager Kirsty who values all comments very seriously.

Thank you once again for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Colchester and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

When visiting our friends in Colchester we normally stay at the premier inn in the centre of town, but this weekend it was fully booked so we were forced to look at alternatives.

This hotel is on the A12, close to a junction so doesn't cause too much issue that it's on the south bound carriage. It's about £15 for a taxi to get into town.

Hotel was spotless, nicely laid out with good size rooms.

Probably would look to stay here again in the future.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Samiantha,

Thank you very much for posting your recent review on Trip Advisor. Here at the Holiday Inn Express Colchester, guest’s views and opinions are very important to us, as they allow us to constantly improve the services we offer, and help us to provide a great hotel guests love.

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our hotel rooms, as cleanliness is one of our highest priorities to create a relaxing atmosphere for our guests.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The hotel was very clean and very friendly, all the staff couldn't do enough to help and were always smiling, even when we got in very late at night.
Lack of anything behind the bar to eat, void of even packets of crisps so we had to go wanting and the 2 pints of beer we had (which were about £6 each!!!) were... a LITTLE overpriced.
But it is easy to criticize and we did very much enjoy our stay, breakfast was of a good quality considering it's included in the very cheap room rate, though no bacon was served...
Overall it was a high 3 or low 4 for me, I went for 4/5 because the staff did go above and beyond!

Top Tip: They have plenty of breakfast so enjoy your lay in, there will still be enough for you if you hit it an hour after the mad morning rush!

Room Tip: No rooms will have a great view, but all seemed to be very well padded so you can't hear traffic...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear FuriousMouse91,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Holiday Inn Express Colchester. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Express Colchester a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing IHG.

Enfield, North London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

worth the money for one night (62.00 for family room). room was how you would expect from a leading player. The hotel is only about a £14 cab fare from Colchester Town centre and a five minute drive to Constable country. Cooked breakfast is a let down but the rest is ok. Great service but I had the impression there is shortage of staff as they looked tired. I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Fishthemod,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced with breakfast.

Hockley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

In the romantic location of behind the shell garage on the A12 this hotel is only ever going to be good for an overnight stop- fair enough. It's new build and the rooms are good- great double shower (no bath) and a limited tea/coffee tray. The beds are a bit bouncy- I woke every time husband turned over due to the tidal wave effect. However for the £47 it cost me I would stay in this room again. HOWEVER I would not expect or try to eat any of the cooked breakfast options- utterly revolting. You only have a choice of sausage beans and scrambled egg which are in a 'keep it vaguely warm' counter for self service. The sausages were clearly all cooked hours ago and then piled in there and manage to have a curious sticky texture!!!! . The egg is bland, uniformly coloured and fine 'grainy' texture-I'm as certain as I can be this was reconstituted egg powder. Beans lukewarm like everything else but then it's hard to muck them up when you only need to open a tin. So stick to the toast/ yogurt/ pastries option would be my advice.
All in all for the price I'd stay again just chose more wisely for the brekkie

Room Tip: No major noise from the A12 but I would assume the rear facing (even numbered rooms) are quieter if...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Caroline H,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to our offerings for breakfast however this is a brand standard spec for our hotel. The quality of products and lay up is now being looked into by our Food and Beverage Guest Service Manager Kirsty and I would hope on your return to the hotel you will see a difference.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed here two nights may bank holiday had a great stay good welcome on arrival and pleasant staff. nice clean room and quiet hotel just up road from village of dedham which is very quaint only downside was Sunday night we went back to hotel for few drinks and was greeted by an unsocialable barman who clearly had an attitude problem not just with us but with aanother couple Sat at the bar as well we left early and retired to our room on checkout the barman was on reception duties and still clearly had an attitude apart from him every thing else was fine and sweet would definitely come back

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rob M,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the lack of service you received on the bar. The hotel prides ourselves on great customer service and it is very disappointing to read this review. I shall personally be looking into who served you and if needed retraining this individual.

Ashley Walker

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colchester? Share your experiences!