“Perfect stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed here for 2 nights.
Clean and spacious room, amazing shower!
Plenty of choice from the complimentary breakfast buffet, well stocked and fresh.
Only complaint is double bed is very small and far too soft a mattress for us!!

This hotel is perfect for visiting Colchester zoo and Clacton.

• Stayed October 2012
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Firstly I would like to apologise if you did not have a comfortable sleep due to your mattress and bed. These are the hotel brand standard beds, although I will forward your comment to head office regarding this.

We also get many great comments about our bathrooms. They are fantastic aren’t they.

We really appreciate our guests valuable feedback to help us become a market leader.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here on 13 October for 1 night with my friend....wished we could have stayed longer. Location good for access to clacton and surrounding areas. Check-in very good, staff really friendly and helpful...an absolute credit to the company. Our twin room (157) was lovely and the walk shower a dream. We both had a really good nights sleep. Breakfast (which is also included in price) was good. A choice of cooked and continental plus fruit and yoghurts and plenty of tea and coffee. A really superb hotel with staff to match. Have arrived home and straight away booked another nights stay next month. Would absolutely recommend to everyone. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Elsie04,

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. To hear such positive reviews really is a credit to the staff here at the hotel. I will be showing this email to them to remind them why they love doing the job they do.

It is our goal to ensure all our guests feel valued, welcomed and comfortable. We are really looking forward to welcoming you on your next visit.
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked two rooms, one for me, my wife and 16 year old son and the other for my in-laws. On arrival, the hotel looks new and modern. The lobby is open plan with a bar and restaurant area just past the reception. The staff were friendly and welcoming upon arrival but sometimes a little busy as they share duties with the bar as well as reception.
The room was clean, tidy and well maintained. The bathroom was immaculate and the shower cubicle huge! And the shower was quite good too! The main bed was comfortable with a choice of soft and firm pillows. The only issue was the sofa bed for our 16 year old was very uncomfortable. You could feel the springs through the very thin mattress and he didn't have a good nights sleep. We also had to ask for extra towels, as we were only provided with one bath towel. Otherwise, an excellent stay.
The breakfast was a mix of hot and cold buffett. The only thing missing was bacon and maybe a fried egg but for the price, it was all quite good and very filling.
Overall, we were very plased with our stay at this Holiday Inn Express Hotel and would definitely stay again and recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Firstly I would like to apologise for the uncomfortable nights sleep your son had on our sofa bed. We are provided these sofa beds as brand standard when we opened the hotel. I will ensure your comments regarding them are passed to the appropriate channels. When you choose to stay with us again, please ask reception to provide another duvet to lay on the bed.

Our free breakfast is a continental breakfast with 3 hot options of baked beans, sausages and scrambled eggs.

We thank you so much for your 5/5 rating and your positive comments are really appreciated. We really value our feedback as it helps us to make our hotel a great place to stay. Keeping up with what our guests want is important to us.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

After having to leave Haven, Clacton on sea, after 4 hours, they would not toddler proof our van, we had to find somewhere to stay at short notice.
I'm pleased to say we found adjoining rooms for myself and my family at the holiday inn express.
The staff were all very friendly and made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

Im really pleased you found us and you were made to feel welcome and comfortable.

We hope to welcome you again soon.
Bridport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Booked this place on price. Having read read some reviews we decided to eat out and spent a stressfull hour driving around full restuarants in the area before booking in, we were pleasantly surprised, a clean, well lighted, uncrowded bar where we had some good food and service. It was much better than a half hour queue at beefeater.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We really do appreciate feedback from our valued guests.

We have recently changed our menu and to have comments regarding the items on it is important as we like to change it to keep our guests happy and well fed.

We really look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ashford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

What a lovely place to stay.Staff so helpfull,rooms lovely and clean.Iam disabled and they made my stay so easy.Thet even gave my carer an adjoining room totally free of charge.So much cheaper than staying in Ipswich but just 10 mins from there.Yet the rooms so much cheaper.I paid £44 per night with a free breakfast.Same type of hotel in ipswich,£70+ with no breakfast.You do the maths :0) My only gripe is the food(not the breakfast) My advice is eat before you get there.Food is over priced and in my opinion frozen microwaved rubbish.Burgers are awful ,the curry so hot I couldnt eat it and the lasagna almost a child sized portion and microwaved from frozen.But overall a lovely place to stay.Staff couldnt do enough for us .All were friendly polite and very helpfull.

Room Tip: If disabled make that clear when reserving the room.If a carer travelling with you also make that ve...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I will start with the bad points:
Breakfast. I was not impressed. Solid scrambled egg (cold on one day). The cheapest sausages money can buy, & the worst part NO BACON (Cooked breakfast with no bacon) Really???. I didnt try the beans.I did inquire why. I was told It is because they are Holiday Inn express. The receptionist didnt seem to understand when I asked "Express? Does bacon take longer then?".
I didn't see any cereal. There was no honey to have with my yogurt.

The room was very clean and bathroom modern. I stayed in a twin room.The bed did feel as though it was about to collapse. The WIFI was £6.00 a day and didnt work. So i had to plug in. with the fly lead. Which went on to charge me another £100 for 3 days. This was corrected at check out after a debate. But did not refund the £18 for 3 days WIFI. Which wasn't wifi.

There is plenty of parking. The satnav did take me to close the hotel, but not exactly. I looked at the location on google maps before arriving, so I knew the hotel is next to the petrol station.(Shell garage at the time of writing).
Would I stay here again. Hmmmmm All I say is. If there was any hotel close by with pricing close to this. I would go there. As I have to stay in this part of Essex/Suffolk quite often, I will look elsewhere in future. Rooms good. breakfast and wifi- not good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Jondiver,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns via Tripadvisor. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at the hotel, I would like to thank you for providing your feedback. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colchester? Share your experiences!