“Good weekend break” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Potters Bar
“Good weekend break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked this hotel through LateRooms and the pictures on the web site do not do the hotel justice. The staff are friendly and efficient. The rooms looked to have been recently refurbished and were pleasant enough. The bar served a wonderful selection of real ale with 10 different beers on offer, the atmosphere was very pleasant with a busy buzz throughout the evening. The breakfast was of good quality, juice and cereal were available but the full english was of course a must. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a quality weekend break in this area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We were cold, hungry, and thirsty and went in the first place we could find in Seaford I.e. The Wellington. This is great pub/Inn. Friendly staff and punters, excellent food, 2 open fires, and superb selection of beers. We will return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

we stayed just the one night as we were walking to & from Seaford. the accommodation was great - big fluffy duvet, modern bathroom, flat screen TV. we ate breakfast and the full english comes in meat and veggie options - both huge and very very nice. arguable too nice to then go on a 14 miles walk but we managed.
the pub on saturday night was v popular and friendly and the location is great for starting a coastal walk

Room Tip: we stayed in 102 which despite being above the pub entrance wasn't noisy at all
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Walked in whilst staying in the area for a weekend - over 12 real ales on tap and a fantastic selection of white and dark spirits as well as ports. Tried the 'cook your own' steak experience and thought it a good idea - try complaining after cooking it yourself! Food was good and relaitively quick service - we ate at the bar. Would definitely return there should we revisit Seaford.

Room Tip: Didn't stay so cannot comment
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Seaford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Called here at lunchtime to celebrate my friends birthday. We were the first people in at noon and ordered two coffees and a brandy and asked for the lunch menu. We were told they are not doing food at lunchtime at the moment!!! Great. So I paid for the coffees and he said he would bring them over. So we waited....... He then served a man with a pint of beer and disappeared - I thought to get my coffee. So we waited..... The man went back to the counter and waited.... and then banged on the bar and waited...... and then went round the back to find the barman. Still no coffee. The man's pint was OFF and the barman had gone to change the barrell. Still no coffee......and then......it came. Lukewarm. How disappointing. I had heard good reports of this place but was less than impressed. Lukewarm coffee bad beer and no staff.......shame.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Emma L, Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Susan,

May I first of all apologise for your bad experience at the Wellington Hotel. We take every review very seriously so I was extremely concerned to discover that you did not enjoy your visit.

All of our staff are highly trained and professional and I will be speaking in person to the barman you refer to and can assure you that this will not happen again should you decide to revisit. We pride ourselves on the high level of service we provide and the reputation we have evidently acquired and I can only apologise again for the bad service you received.

Regarding your reference to non service of lunch, I'm afraid we only serve lunch from Friday to Sunday, this has been the case for over 2 years now and although I completely understand your disappointment, it is clearly advertised thoughout the building and on our website.
Just to clarify and to avoid any further disappointment, our hours of food service are:

Mon - Thurs: 6 - 9pm only

Fri - Sat: 12 - 3pm and 6 - 9pm

Sun: 12 - 4pm only

However, I am very pleased to inform you that we will be introducing a weekday lunchtime menu in the New Year so perhaps if you would be willing to give us another chance we might be able to redeem ourselves and prove that we are worthy of the fantastic reviews we have so far recieved.

Should you decide to return please make yourself known to me so I can apologise in person.

Kind Regards,

Emma
Wolfsberg, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

If you prefer a real pub with a bit of atmosphere rather than those stuffy hotels, then this is your place! I stop here on business quite a lot, and I like it.....a lot! As there are only 4 rooms, I really should be writing a terrible review - because then it guarantees me a room - but obviously I can't do that :-)
First and foremost this is a real English pub. It has a bar to die for with 10 real ales on draught. The whisky collection is extensive and the wines are really good value.
The food is decent pub food and there is the twist of using the grill and cooking your own steak.
The rooms are comfortable with TV and tea/coffee.
In terms of location, The Wellington is located a 100 metres from the lovely shail beach, and right on the edge of the town centre. Nearby are lots of restaurant choices and a good shopping area.
I really liked the fact that (full English) breakfast is included as well as cereals, fruit and yoghurts. I also got a free morning newspaper of my choice.
One thing I need to mention again is the bar area with all those lovely real ales...............

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
wells, Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

What a lovely hotel!. The staff were fantastic right from the outset, smiling, friendly and welcoming. We stayed for onr night as we wwere in the area but wish it had been for more. A particular mention must go to Mickey who helped advise us on how best to cook our steaks on the 'cook your own' barbi. He was really friendly and told us the history of the hotel. Our room was spotless and large with a lovely ensuite. The breakfast was one of the best we have had in all our hotel stays and we loved the restaurant and the atmosphere in the bar in the evening. We will definitely go back. Would highly recommend! Thanks guys!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room above the restaurant overlooking main road but we were not disturbed by any no...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wellington Hotel? Share your experiences!