“Back in England to a real treat!” 5 of 5 stars

The Ship Inn
Strand Quay, Rye TN31 7DB, England   |
Ranked #16 of 33 Rye B&B and Inns
Nantwich
“Back in England to a real treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Would recommend this pub to everyone!
Stayed on our way from Dover to Cheshire.
The evening meal was simply fabulous.
Fabulous beers and a home-made coffee liquer made from coffee beans
steeped for many hours by the owner.
The breakfast was truly wonderful:
Home made
granola, stewed fruit, freshly made muffins.
Great choice of breakfasts.
Full marks and we'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms 8 and 9 were spacious and quirkily decorated.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed just for one night, we were attending a wedding Rye and this was the prefect choice for a overnighter. The room was quirky, clean and hot showers is away a bonus after a nightout plus the dog could stay too! We forgot out dog bowl and they happly lent us one with no fuss. George "the dog" did miss out on his morning sausage as he missed breakfast as we didn't think he would be allowed down to join is likey many dog friendly establishments. Central location which was fab for a wander round Rye which is lovely! parking is a bit of a nghtmare but that just Rye. Staff were helpful and smiley! All in all a great stay and we are GOING back!

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Had meal here during our holday so this review is based on that.
First impressions were positive Very interesting decor and ambience. Got shown to our table by a very friendly and efficient member of staff, ordered some drinks and perused the menu. First thing I noticed from the menu was that it was quite pricey, so this immediately raised my expectations.(and rightly so I reckon)
Sadly the meal we had did not meet my expectations. The fish dish I had was burnt and chewy on the bottom and to be honest very bland. I also noticed that the dish we ordered came with no sides. No veg, no salad nothing so I ordered a side salad. Now when I order a salad, I expect a little imagination/variation, NOT just a tiny bowl of lettuce leaves. (like out of a supermarket packet) that were tired and not even fresh. That was it. No cucumber, no tomato, no peppers - you get the gist.... I complained to the waitress who was curteous and apologetic and to be fair took this and one of the fish dishes off the bill. The chef fed back that the chewyness I had experienced was a result of pan fried fish, However, my husbands same meal did not have chewy bits in???
The children said their meals were fine and the wine was very good . Its a shame as it was a nice place but didn't think much of the food. Maybe this was just a one-off bad experience as other reviews seem to be to the contrary. I would say if in the area again I will give it another try, but as there are plenty of other eateries in Rye that I did enjoy, I probably wont.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just spent two nights here. Interesting room and not as small as we thought it would be, with comfy bed and central location. Great atmosphere in the pub and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were outstanding -we really didn't need lunch on the days we were there, and such a lovely choice of food in the evening too. Would recommend the smoked prawns and a half of local Perry.Park over the river, near the modern hotel for £2.50 for 24 hours if you can't get in outside the SHip.

Room Tip: Room 10 was smallish, but fine - some noise in the morning from bin lorries etc, but not too early s...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

had a wonderful stay ,staff are so cheerful and warm and not in the stand on ceremony way ,in a sincere honest way .I loved the décor something unusual at every turn I also loved the fact the bedroom floor sloped down as did the bathroom shows how old the building is....breakfast lush will def go back maybe a cosy winter weekend in December by the open fire with a nice glass of rum thanks for a great weekend

Room Tip: room 4 nice
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Remember that it is an inn, above a pub, not the Hilton. But the rooms are beyond clean and nice, all the luxuries and more that you would need in a room, hot water, lovely staff, best location in town which does of course bring noice with it.
I would recommend this to anyone who needs a night in Rye. I wi definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013
Dorking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just spent a long weekend break at the Ship inn in Rye. What can I say, the service was excellent, food was brilliant, breakfast particularly good with friendly, attentive, knowledgeable staff.

The room was advertised as a small double and was indeed a small (comfortable) double, but any lack of space in the bedroom was more than made up for by a spacious and well equipped bathroom, large enough to have a small armchair in it! Lashings of hot water, sensibly sized bottles of toiletries and soft towels. (No rubber duck though :-().

The place has a welcoming atmosphere and below the jolly façade, someone has spent a lot of time thinking through the décor, the ambience, the staff, the food, the beer, the wine and (most importantly) how customers should be treated (I thanked one of the staff as we left for the effort she had put in for us, she smiled and said "its my job"). And it all works!

All in all a very restful break in a wonderful place, one I would heartily recommend to anyone who values service, ambience and a smile!

Room Tip: Book a room! 6 has A/C.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!