“Magical” 5 of 5 stars

Strand Quay, Rye TN31 7DB, England   |
Ranked #21 of 32 Rye B&B and Inns
“Magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We were guests in the Ship Inn's magical cottage and cannot recommend it more highly. Every little detail had been thought of and the staff were amazing. The food at the Ship was hearty yet creative and absolutely delicious and the atmosphere was warm and friendly. The place is extremely well run and we will definitely be coming back. Thank you very much for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I would definitely stay here again. We didn't find any real negatives - yes there isn't a car park (but a cheap public car park 20 meters away), if your over six feet tall you have to duck every now and then ( all part of the charm) and a couple of staircases to get to the rooms (but means you are far enough away from any bar noise not to be disturbed). I would definitely recommend the breakfast.

It was a great relaxing weekend that was made by staying in such a nice place.

• Stayed November 2012
Nr Cantebury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent two nights here and ate on our first evening. The pub,s lovely with a few interesting bits of decor dotted around. The room was large, clean, tidy and comfortable. Probably the only hotel room I haven't had a fag out the window due to the lovely well worded note left there to ask you not to do so! The food we had was brilliant and just what we wanted, it's a pub not a gourmet restaurant! Theo and Lisa were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. I would thoroughly recommend this place to stay or visit (the beer was in good nick too - very important!) and we shall definitely come here again. Top marks!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Went to The Ship last weekend and it was totally fab. I was running late and the staff were great stayed up to meet me and couldn't have been nicer. Room was small but lovely - very clean and contemporary and had everything from TV, Tea and coffee and even Burts Bees in the bathroom. The breakfast was totally worth it all on it's own really gorgeous. I ate at The Ship twice each night. I had steak and chips which was lovely and next night vegetable curry. Both were great and the staff were very friendly and efficient. They really made my stay very fun and comfortable. I wholly recommend it and I don't normally do reviews but felt I should as it was so memorable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

A lovely location, friendly atmosphere and service. Great previous reviews seem to be a bit overblown although food was good but eggs over easy for breakfast were a call too far for the chef as they arrived solid.

The bar area is a good as you would expect from a lovely pub, good selection of Beers and wines.

My only complaint would be about the room we had, although we booked quite late, small and a very small double bed- more like a Queen size.
The room and bathroom were very well equipped and decorated. We did see the economy doubles and they were even smaller.

The biggest problem was the extractor fan from the kitchen right below our window so we were forced to keep the window closed and even then a smell of chips and the noise were ever present until 11pm and again at 7:30am.

At these prices we expected what was previously said about this hotel but as far as the room and noise was concerned we felt let down.

I would be very very wary about staying again with out cast iron guarantees about the room and its location. Shame really as everything else was good.

Why in this day and age do we have to put up with noisy extractors from kitchens designed to cause the maximum nuisance to guests in hotels across the country.

Room Tip: Stay away from any room near the extractor from the kithcen
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Online I was able to book for one night starting on a Friday, but when I called reception to discuss the room options I was informed that weekends are a two-night stay only. I pointed out that the online booking system on THEIR website allowed a one-night stay. After getting off the phone, I checked again online and found this still to be the case. I then selected a Saturday night arrival to see what happened and that did indeed flag up a message saying that a min. two-night was required, which is why I had planned to stay on the Friday. Disappointing, as I had negotiated the Friday off work and childcare for my young children in order to book this evening, only to find I'm back to the drawing board. I wonder how long it will take them to amend their online system. Being a journalist in the leisure industry, I'm pretty non-plussed by this discrepancy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at The Ship Inn with our 10 month old daughter. The team at The Ship couldn't have been nicer. We felt totally at home from the moment we arrived. We were welcomed into the lounge area at early hours of the morning when one if us had to get up with the baby, offered coffee, and had Elvis films put on!

Room 8 had a bathroom just big enough to fit a travel cot which was really helpful. We had no issues using the baby monitor in the bar/restaurant area which was brilliant.

The evening food was delicious, and breakfasts amazing. Thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!