“A nice stay despite a few drawbacks” 3 of 5 stars

The Ship Inn
Strand Quay, Rye TN31 7DB, England   |
Ranked #21 of 32 Rye B&B and Inns
London
“A nice stay despite a few drawbacks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

A lovely location, friendly atmosphere and service. Great previous reviews seem to be a bit overblown although food was good but eggs over easy for breakfast were a call too far for the chef as they arrived solid.

The bar area is a good as you would expect from a lovely pub, good selection of Beers and wines.

My only complaint would be about the room we had, although we booked quite late, small and a very small double bed- more like a Queen size.
The room and bathroom were very well equipped and decorated. We did see the economy doubles and they were even smaller.

The biggest problem was the extractor fan from the kitchen right below our window so we were forced to keep the window closed and even then a smell of chips and the noise were ever present until 11pm and again at 7:30am.

At these prices we expected what was previously said about this hotel but as far as the room and noise was concerned we felt let down.

I would be very very wary about staying again with out cast iron guarantees about the room and its location. Shame really as everything else was good.

Why in this day and age do we have to put up with noisy extractors from kitchens designed to cause the maximum nuisance to guests in hotels across the country.

Room Tip: Stay away from any room near the extractor from the kithcen
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Online I was able to book for one night starting on a Friday, but when I called reception to discuss the room options I was informed that weekends are a two-night stay only. I pointed out that the online booking system on THEIR website allowed a one-night stay. After getting off the phone, I checked again online and found this still to be the case. I then selected a Saturday night arrival to see what happened and that did indeed flag up a message saying that a min. two-night was required, which is why I had planned to stay on the Friday. Disappointing, as I had negotiated the Friday off work and childcare for my young children in order to book this evening, only to find I'm back to the drawing board. I wonder how long it will take them to amend their online system. Being a journalist in the leisure industry, I'm pretty non-plussed by this discrepancy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at The Ship Inn with our 10 month old daughter. The team at The Ship couldn't have been nicer. We felt totally at home from the moment we arrived. We were welcomed into the lounge area at early hours of the morning when one if us had to get up with the baby, offered coffee, and had Elvis films put on!

Room 8 had a bathroom just big enough to fit a travel cot which was really helpful. We had no issues using the baby monitor in the bar/restaurant area which was brilliant.

The evening food was delicious, and breakfasts amazing. Thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My partner and I headed down to Rye from London for a quick getaway for the weekend. We stayed at the Ship Inn and had a great experience. The staff was excellent, the food was impeccable for an Inn and the rooms were lovely cottage style. The old inn has all the nuances which you would expect in a medieval town. Woods floors, large fire place, low hanging beams in the dinning room etc etc. Very relaxing and in a great location. Breakfast AMAZING.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Super breakfasts e.g. homemade granola, amazing fresh orange juice. Nicely styled rooms. Good water pressure for showers. Very friendly staff. One thing that could be improved - better black out blinds.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My Husband, myself and our two year old daughter stayed at the Ship Inn on 5th & 6th of September along with my Father who also booked a room here. We all stayed here as were we attending my Brothers Wedding in Rye. We had a lovely comfortable stay at The Ship. We had room 8 and my Father had room 10. Our room was very spacious and clean. The Decor in The Ship is very Quirky, we loved it. However the fist night was a little noisy from outside, but the second night was much better. The staff were friendly and the breakfasts were lovely. We would highly recommend the Ship. Also it is not too expensive compared to the other hotels in Rye. We would love to go back again sometime soon.

Room Tip: Room 8 was a good sized family room however it was a little noisy at times.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

4 rooms for a party of 7 plus baby plus dog for 2 nights. An old pub but v well presented (shabby chic so I'm told by my adult children). Very helpful (young) staff, good food (evenings and inc huge, huge, wide variety breakfasts), clean rooms with a "seasidy" feel, and all in all very relaxing. Will book again should we want to stay in Rye. The only downside is the lack of free parking, but with cheap all day parking at the station, about 10 mins walk away, and other parking nearby, it is not a problem. Also liked the Burt's Bees bathroom products - I'm a sucker for good quality "smellies".

Room Tip: The 8 of us had rooms 5 (small), 8, large with bath, 9, large with bath and 10 (small). Room 9 is t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!