“What a special place” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“What a special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed one night in may to celebrate our 25th anniversary. It was a beautiful day & we enjoyed a lovely pre dinner drink outside. The food was fantastic with excellent old fashioned service. We had the Elizabethan room which was massive, & very atmospheric. It was above the bar & you could hear the chatter from below but no more than normal hotel noise really. It has secret passage & lovely views across the valley. No ghosts seen luckily & the creaking we heard all night was found to be the central heating system which we had though we had turned off!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

As a regular visitor to Rye and to the Mermaid, this year I decided to arrange a weekend get-together with seven friends to the Mermaid. Some years ago I wrote a review about the poor service but, as I love the building and location, I wanted to give it another chance for a very special occasion. I was very happy with the experience: lovely old room with great character; very good lunch of Skate Wings and friendly service. The breakfast was excellent and, if you're looking for a quiet time, they have two rooms in the morning: families with children in one room and couples/ adults in the other (personally I am happy to have families in the dining room but some of my party thought it was a nice touch from both the perspective of the families who can allow their kids freedom to make noise etc and the other guests who can enjoy a peaceful start to the day). I will definitely rebook.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have lovely views of Mermaid Street, although there was some noise (not enough to...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Chestfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed in the Mermaid for one night to celebrate our friends' 60th birthday. Beautifull building, full of quirky passages, antiques portraits and pictures. We had a lovely room and so did our friends. The staff were friendly and helpful. We would definately come back

Room Tip: Rooms at the back or side are quiter
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sandgate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The Mermaid Inn oozes history from every beam and creaky floorboard. Some rooms have secret passages, others four-poster beds. From the second floor the spacious rooms look across the valley, others look out on to the famed cobbled Mermaid Street. The bar boasts one of the country’s largest open log fires. This is a fantastic slice of real English history.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Mermaid is a beautiful hotel and with a rich history and is a must visit whilst in Rye. I visited the hotel for lunch with high expectations of the food. The menu promises much, and is more expensive than neighbouring premises. The presentation was excellent. But the food was average. I had the fish and chips. The haddock was good, but the batter was under cooked, as was my friends. I watched fellow diners leave large portions of their meals. The staff were friendly, the atmosphere was good. The food was average and over priced with more effort going into the presentation rather than the cooking of the food.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Agree with a previous reviewer: five star prices, one star service - especially at reception. Evening meal and breakfast also disappointing. Many better places to eat in Rye if you are looking for local fresh seafood.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Arrived in bar for lunch Wednesday afternoon . Bar man very nice and helpfull . Ordered food , burger and chips , rack of ribs and half roast chicken.
Food arrived on hot plates , rack of ribs large and very nice , burger and chips ,ok ,salad very limp, not fresh.
Roast chicken , what a shame a three star hotel can't cook a piece of chicken ,I cut into the chicken and it was totally cold inside the outside was warm .
I called over the waiter and told him quietly that my chicken was not hot , and very surprised that it was not fresh and only heated up , or should I say not even heated up.
He took it away and informed me they would do another one , after some time ..... My husband and son had now finished their meals , the waiter brought out my chicken , again on a hot plate , by now I was really hungry . I cut into the chicken it was hot on the outside but still only warm on the inside ,so I only ate the outside , if I hadn't been so hungry I'd have sent it back..
Why is it you can't check the inside heat of the chicken before you send it out to a customer or even cook it from fresh and not just try and heat a pre cooked piece up?
Tables and chair arms were very sticky , maybe the odd wipe off would help.
Ladies toilets needed a good clean , blood and dirty marks on wall in right hand toiled cubicle . AlsoThick old dust on nearly all services .
On back of door cleaning rota shows no sign of being used .
My husband also said the mens toilets needed cleaning as well .
What a shame , I know the Mermaid is an old building , but no excuse . Get a good cleaner .
I will say the Bar man and waiter , were very polite and friendly .
And it was a nice place to have a drink.
When we came to pay the bill I was charged half price for the chicken , I'd rather of had a proper cooked chicken and paid full price .

Room Tip: Sorry rated rooms average , I clicked wrong rating and then couldn't delete it . We didn't s...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Mermaid Inn? Share your experiences!