“Nice hotel, kitchen needs improving” 4 of 5 stars

The George in Rye
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   98 High St, Rye TN31 7JT, England   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Rye
Kent UK
“Nice hotel, kitchen needs improving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We spent a Thursday night here on a Travelzoo deal, £139 for bed breakfast and dinner. The hotel is certainly a vast improvement since the last time I stayed, more than 10 years ago. It has been well refurbished and our room (no 42) was clean and comfortable if a little on the small size for a supposedly "superior" room. The bed was 5 foot wide with a very comfortable mattress and duvet. The "hospitality tray" contained a good selection of tea, a cafetiere and good-quality ground coffee. The bathroom was spacious and well appointed with a good "waterfall" shower, dressing gowns and plenty of white fluffy towels. The only complaint about the room (and this applies to lots of hotels) is that the designer has forgotten that women (my wife included) like to use a mirror and a hair dryer simultaneously: is it too much to ask for a 13 amp socket close to a light and a mirror? If Premier Inns can manage it, so can everyone.

Dinner was a bit of a letdown: my wife had the meze to start with, which was beautifully presented, but completely lacking in flavour. I had scallops, which were tasty but lukewarm. My ribeye steak and frites were good, but my wife's lamb managed to be both overcooked and, again, lukewarm. The mixed salad was drenched in an over-vinegared vinaigrette. The less said about the apple and rhubarb crumble, the better. The wine list was good and reasonably priced. Service was good. At breakfast the following morning, we both had poached pears to start with (novel at breakfast, but delicious) and I had the cooked breakfast, which was very good. Unfortunately, my wife's eggs Benedict had to be sent back as the Hollandaise sauce had far too much lemon in it, and was inedible.

Rye is a very pretty little town which we have visited many times, and the George is now probably one of the best places to stay in terms of accommodation. We would go again, but probably eat out at one of the many highly recommended restaurants in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I visited the George at Rye several years ago and was intrigued to see how much it had changed since its makeover. The answer was "quite significantly" the quaint old pub with rooms is now a lovely boutique hotel, still oozing character but with a very definite "oomph".

The hotel is delightful and, in the current climate, we were delighted to find it adequately and efficiently staffed with pleasant and friendly young people. We were shown to our room on the 1st floor, and were equally impressed with that. Gorgeously comfortable king size bed, bathroom with excellent shower and deep, deep bath! Soap, shampoo, moisturiser, all of excellent quality. Flannels, fluffy towels, dressing gowns, hairdryer, even an umbrella! Full tea and coffee provision. We are told to ask for anything we felt we might need if it had not been included. I should like to add that the hotel was spotless.

The bar has a magnificent open log fire which gives it a homely and comfortable atmosphere. The restaurant is excellent, the menu good and the food 10 out of 10.

We only stayed one night as my husband had a business appointment but we will certainly return for a longer break when the weather is slightly better than blizzard conditions!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2 ( I think) and, yes, we could hear people walking above, but this is a historic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hi, I have been holding off on writing this review as I had hoped to get my money back, or at least half of it back, but instead I've been offered a voucher that I can't use. This hotel looks the part on the website, and even when you arrive it's cosy, if a little bursting at the seams with people.We booked this hotel based on the reviews on here and the website. We haven't been away since our baby girl was born 18 months ago.THis was supposed to be a real treat. We stayed in Suite 1, yes the one that costs £350 a night. The room was dark, dirty and so noisy. It's right next to the street, so rather than being "slightly secluded from the others" it's actuallu right next to the road and the delivery. We were kept awake until 12am by noisy cars and pub go'ers, then woken up at 5am by a delivery, oh not to mention the noise from the room above. I'm sure they weren't being noisy, but the ceiling felt like it was going to fall in whenever they moved. We woke up and asked to be moved, they said we are very busy but can move you to our Miamis suite; it's vomit coloured but we said yes, because this was actually away from others and secluded. We walked in and when I jumped on the bed, I was showered with dust from the light fitting. I complained 5 times before the room was cleaned. Not good enough, again, 350 quid a night. How can you charge this amount of money for a dirty room. The bathroom too was freezing cold and the thermostat wouldn't shift beyond 18 degrees. By this point I had lost the will to complain and the phone in the room didn't work anyway. We stayed and left first thing in the morning. This is the most overpriced and dissapointing hotel I have ever stayed in. They think they are all that and they arne't. THey need to realise they are a bed and breakfast pub, not a five star hotel.
In relation to room service, forget it. The kitchen don't talk to reception. We were told we couldn't order between 5 and 6pm, yet the room servicer menu said all day. We then tried to order at 6pm and were told we coudln't as the menu had moved to dinner menu. We didn't fancy a three course meal, we wanted a burger. They did oblige with a burger from the local greasy spoon which was gross and cold. One thing I will say is this: the staff were friendly if totally useless, throughout. They offered me £30 back for my 700. Not happy. My sister in law was looking to get married there as was my best friend, we've since put them off.

Room Tip: Don't get a suite it's too expensive.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend and were really impressed by the staff and the property. Reception looked busy when we arrived but we were checked in very swiftly and shown to our lovely room on the second floor. It was a cosy Queen Bedroom with a modern, cottagey finish and was certainly in keeping with the hotel and historic Rye generally. The bed felt soft when I first sat on it (I really like firm beds) but actually it was really comfortable and very luxurious - I particularly liked the little lavender filled pillows.
Dinner at The Grill was great, with a relaxed atmosphere and reasonably priced wine. Our meal was included with a Travelzoo deal but we were not made to pick from a different menu or hurried, and the food was delicious. We also had an aperatif afterwards and took a second one up to our room which wasn't a problem at all.
Breakfast in the morning was busy (we did feel for the waitress) but we weren't in a hurry and again the food was very well put together.
Would thoroughly recommend The George in Rye and are already hoping to head back some day soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the most basic room (a Queen) and it was really lovely - although ours (room 5) did hav...
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I visited the George late February with my Boyfriend for two nights. We really enjoyed the stay and couldnt find fault with most things.

We stayed in Room number 32 which is lovely, all wooden, clean and fresh looking and surprisingly cosy. The bathroom was amazing with a big tin bath and lovely walk in shower.

The tea and coffee selection in the room seemed great although we did not touch it at all.

The only fault with this room is that it is in the Courtyard, late night / early morning thwir bins are emptied, including their bottle bins. This woke us up on both mornings between 4.30am and 6.00am which is a great shame. I am sure they can find a more convenient location for their bins. I am not one to complain so did not mention it on departure but I imagine so misery guts do.

The restaurant was excellent, you can see the chefs cooking the food from your table. I do have to agree with other reviewers who feel it is all a little bit chaotic...which it is. The waitresses were very nice but have no wine skills. On asking for a Zinfandel, the poor girl did not know what i was talking about. She then went and aksed what I assume is her manager who was also unaware of what a Zinfandel is. In the end I settled for a wine in which the waitress siad it was their house rose but was unsure of waht kind of rose it was...."its just a rose wine?"

All in all I would go back and I woudl recommend this hotel to friends and family!

Room Tip: Room 32, lovely room and bathroom. Massive tin bath!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Spent an over night stay at this hotel...in a Junior suite..which was different from what i was expecting...ie very modern & airy, but most enjoyable!

The staff were very helpful & pleasant....i was directed to the Hope Lane carpark, nearby, which was indeed £1.50 for an over night stay.

The breakfast was very hearty & again very enjoyable...i would definitely stay at this hotel again...love Rye...for a day or weekend visit....!

The only down side was arriving at 3pm..after a wedding party had been there the night before, & we were taken to our room, which wasn't ready at all...& other parties were in a similar situation!...we returned 45 minutes later & things had been sorted!

Room Tip: Really enjoyed the Junior suite..room 32.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just returned from a one night stay at The George. Some things really good but other areas are definately lacking. Check in was at 3.00 but was a bit of a bun fight as everyone trying to book in at the same time. Got shown to a nice room but the bathroom hadn't been cleaned (toothpaste, soap etc on the mirror, hairs in the the bath and lipstick in the sink and on the worktop. Spoke to lady at reception and housekeeping was over in 5 minutes so problem solved. Lovely touches of robes, umbrella, nice hairdryer and good selection of teas and coffees. Bed huge and comfy. The refillable water bottles looked like the needed a good scrub though. The weather was really reall cold so we decided on dinner in the restaurant. Service was apathetic and uninterested and slow to the point of inactivity. Took 10 minutes to get a drinks order and then another 10 minutes to take our dinner order. Choice starters where unappealing - mezze of ricotta, pitta and olives, meat mezze or cauliflower soup or a salad of some sort. So ordered a main alone. Some warm bread arrived with olive oil after 10 mintues (a nice touch) Main meal then took a good 45 minutes (maybe more) to arrive. The medium steak my husband ordered arrived almost blue (which is fine if thats what you want). His side order of frites had a lot of realy black bad ones in with them. He sent the steak and frites back and it took 15 minutes to return and was then correctly cooked. His side of frites was also fine as where the side order of roasted veg but the roasted garlic was still hard. Vegetarian options for me were limited - rissotto or salad. I ordered the salad with a side of new potatoes. which was lovely. We then had desert of crummble and ice cream for husband and I had sorbet. Both good. But oh so slow. 2.5 hours for 2 courses. Breakfast was slower still if thats possible. Took 20 minutes to get tea or coffee and then after another 25 minutes my husband went and asked if someone could take breakfast orders not just for us but for 4 other couples around us. All in all our breakfast took about 1.5 hours and when we left there were still some people who arrived before us waiting for their breakfasts. One couple in the corner (who had arrived long before us) where forgotten and then got the wrong order and still had no breakfast when we left. Waitress obviously running around busy but needed training. Cups without saucers, leaf tea in pots but she didn't bring a tea strainer for anyone and didn't understand enough English to know what was being asked for. When we did get a tea strainer it had old tea leaves in it.
Staff need training and cleaning and service need improving. It has plenty of potential but at the moment it is being let down by poor proceedure.
Shame really

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The George in Rye? Share your experiences!