“Excellent value for a visit to Brighton” 4 of 5 stars

Newmarket Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Brighton Road | Ashcombe, Lewes BN7 3JJ, England   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Lewes
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for a visit to Brighton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

This is a great value hotel for visiting Brighton and nearby towns. £88 for sat and sun nights with breakfast included, well under half the price of hotels in the city, and this is less than 20 mins from the centre of Brighton. I had a single room (room 10) which had good furnishings although the bed was slightly too firm for my taste. The bathroom was a little tired with peeling paint above the shower, however I was pleased to have a bath in a single room, and the water pressure was excellent. Free wifi is another plus with a decent speed in the room - enough to watch iplayer on my ipad! Landlady was very friendly and welcoming. Can't comment on the food as I ate out both nights. There was an air com vent outside my window which didn't bother me, but in summer if you wanted to open the window I think it would be noisy, as would the road. Will stay again in winter months.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked this Inn to stay at because it was the nearest place to the venue of a family party and we didn't want to go right into Newhaven nearby. Having previously read damming reviews we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff and the manager/manageress were extremely chatty and friendly and even allowed us into our room very early as we had to get ready for a party. We didn't sample the carvery but the breakfast was excellent - we couldn't fault it as it was served buffet style which caters for all variations on the 'full english'. The room was delightful although a little dusty around the skirtings! Nothing to worry about. Overall a positive experience and we would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruffec, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We booked this inn (its actually a pub) to arrive late at night from the ferry. The first time I stayed here on my own I spent ages trying to find it after getting the wrong directions from the manager. The directions on the net dont include the ferry and being on a long road without a number doesn't help. Being on various different web sites of which some have group variated names and no phone number doesn't help a women on her own. I decided it would have to be easier next time and booked a second time to stay with my partner several months later. Teeming rain and long road works meant we couldn't even get close the this time despite approaching from a very circuitous route 11pm on a very dark night. So we had to give up and find a new hotel in Lewes ...just lucky we were directed to the Packham Hotel off Lewes high street which was the antithesis of newmarket in for very little more. I say this because when I rang the manager he was completely unconcerned and refused any sort of refund saying he had stayed up late especially.
.....which contradicted his comment on my first trip - when I enquired about checking in late he said quote...we are always up late, we're a pub. When I rang the same night from the Packham
to explain what happened, utterly exhausted was only interested in keeping me on the phone to get me to admit a refund wasnt appropriate, had to virtually hang up in the end. NEVER AGAIN.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here for a night when travelling for work. Arrived around 7.30 and only just caught the tail end of the carvery, which wasn't brilliant but wasn't bad either. The room was surprisingly nice, was quite impresse, and was clean and a good size.

Staff were ok... If you're in the bar area much past 9pm you do feel a bit of an inconvenience... but the landlord is lovely, breakfast is very good, overall would stay again.

The only niggle was that the shower head holder was broken in the bathroom, meaning you had to hold it to shower, not the easiest of things...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Yes there are issues which you would like to see cleared up or improved. But to be honest the room was clean and tidy enough. Shower head needs replacing and a few tiles in the shower need replacing. Again surface issues rather than real problems. Last order for food was 8p.m. Which surprised me and yes the carvery is probably better at six, o clock not 8 o clock. All this said the staff were helpful and polite. Food away from the carvery was fresh hot and quickly dealt with. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Went with other members of family, had to ask for decent table, found the food from the overpriced carvery to be not only bland but Luke warm, roast potatoes were certainly not roasted more like deep fried,the entire meal was a total disgrace. The service was the same, will never return and would not recommend to anyone

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Bought mum back home after a visit to us in Watford. As this was near to her home, we popped in for a final family meal before dropping her off and going home ourselves. We were told to pick a table........................... no menu appeared. Mum knew to order at the bar and I ordered three carvery meals. I did not know that there was an option of one or two course meals, so paid £11.50 for each meal. I had no idea that they also served other options from a menu! After the meal, we asked how much the desserts were. We had paid for a two course meal apparently. I do not eat dessert, so asked if their had been a single course option and was told yes, but I could have a coffee for my extra £2.50. I said no thanks could I have my money back. It was refunded. Message to the manager: The staff appeared to be wandering aimlessly without any purpose some of the time. Staff should give out a menu first, and ask customers if they would like one or two course carvery if this is their choice too. I also ordered an Appletiser which the bartender assumed came without a glass!!! No faulting the carvery, it was lovely. If the price was reduced to compete with other carveries, the restaurant would be extra busy, especially on a weekend. Just need to liven the staff up a bit!, Sorry!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Newmarket Inn? Share your experiences!