“Excellent Hotel in lovely town” 5 of 5 stars

Pelham House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St Andrews Lane, Lewes BN7 1UW, England   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Lewes
Surrey
“Excellent Hotel in lovely town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We recently spent one night in this lovely hotel. The room was extremely good as was the shower. We were on the top floor, which was a bit of a hike, although I am sure if we had asked for another room there would not have been a problem. The staff were extremely obliging, but as we were only there one night we decided to keep the room allocated. The bar is very welcoming as is the restaurant. The food was excellent, including the breakfast which was served in the panelled room, what a beautiful room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
almeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a wedding. I only paid for one night as the bride and groom paid for the night of the wedding. The price of the room was, I considered, very expensive for what it was, big, and imposing room with minimal furniture and not very comfortable. There were no car parking spaces left, as I understand there are only 10, and was told to park off road or at the railway station, approx 5 min away. I did not eat at this hotel on the evening that I arrived as I was told that the restaurant was fully booked and was that there were good restaurants in the High Street. I was not very happy with this as I had travelled a long distance and just wanted a meal and then to retire to my room. The breakfast was acceptable and the staff very courteous.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here for a friend’s wedding. The room was discounted to wedding guests so we had a more deluxe room for around £160 - it was fairly clean and presentable. I ate here both evenings - one the day before the wedding at the restaurant and on the wedding day the hotel catered for it. The food was good but a bit too salty (I LOVE salt but even for me this was a little too heavy). The only issue we has was parking - the are very limited spaces and we had been guaranteed a space... but when we arrived we got bumped off the list for the people who had fancier cars because those people didn't want to have to park in the public car park around the corner and made a big fuss out of it so the hotel management 'forgot' their parking promise to us!) This was very annoying and the staff were completely useless at sorting the situation out - they were very rude with my family.

So from my two nights stay if you're just staying at the hotel it's great for a night away as the restaurant is nice and rooms comfy. But if you're there for an event the hotel management are not very good at dealing with large volumes of guests - this was reflected in the catering and their service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel is advertised as a conference centre which implies expansive and accessible car parking, ease of access to rooms, space and functionanality for work. On arriving I discovered that there are fewer than 10 car parking spaces and was told that there were all pre-booked for the night of my stay. On enquiring about alternatives it was suggested park in a metered space overnight on one of the adjoining streets which necessitated walking several hundred yards during breakfast in order to renew the ticket, or using the railway station car park which was even further away. There is no lift and I was allocated a room in what must have been attic space originally. Anyone with mobility problems will find this impossible, and corridors are narrow which results in difficult negotiation of the stairs and fire doors. My room was rather cramped though the furnishings were in good order. It has some charm but when I'm working, I need convenience and functionality
In fairness, it has a very good restaurant and bar together with interesting menus.

Room Tip: Avoid the stairs
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Carshalton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

With accomodation-costs in Brighton tipping the scales, it makes perfect sense to stay in Lewes and commute 10 minutes by train (provided it isn't the night-life you are after). We purchased on a deal via Secret Escapes, which gave us a very good rate for an executive room and a free bottle of wine with our evening meal. It was a bonus that the weekend we chose was the first weekend that has felt truly Spring-like. Although a wedding was being held at the hotel, we weren't disturbed by noise. Our bedroom in the old stable building was enormous with a vaulted ceiling. The bed was very comfortable and we had two sofas and a gargantune television! After a hard day of stomping the streets and the beach in Brighton, we started the evening with a glass of prosecco. A three-course meal in the hotel's gallery restaurant costs £25, extremely reasonable considering the quality of the food. I had leek and potato soup with an apple dumpling, followed by slow-cooked shoulder of lamb with potato rosti and sweetbreads, and rounded it all off with a cherry and almond pudding served with pisachio ice-cream and boozy cherry sauce (not forgetting the excellent bottle of Argentinian Malbec). (Don't bother with the coffee - unfortunately it was the one let-down.) We were equally spoilt at breakfast (taken in the oak-panelled dining room) with granola, home-made fruit compote and greek yoghurt, followed by eggs royale, which we attempted to burn off on Ditchling Beacon. The only issue is Lewes in the parking, but the station car park - minutes away - costs £5.50 on Saturday and street parking is free on Sunday. And with a castle, a good museum, the priory ruins and Anne of Cleeves House, excellent shopping, and cafes like Bill's, which is a bit of a Lewes institution, you won't run out of things to do.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The downside of staying in a historic "listed" hotel is that they have not been allowed to put in elevators, which makes our third floor room a tough hike. We've already booked our next visit and reserved a room in the annex (converted stables, should be interesting) to gain ground floor access. The bar and dining room are charming and we enjoy cocktails, breakfast and dinner on several occasions. The food is spot on. Concierge service is grand (and they do carry our bags up and down the stairs for us) and helps us find local attractions, of which there are many in this ancient castle town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write this review.

It is true that with our beautiful, listed building we are unable to make major alterations, such as elevators, and I can completely understand that this makes the upper floors a little bit difficult. I am very pleased however, to hear that the staff were accommodating and helped you with you luggage. Our rooms in the mews building are indeed a much easier distance and I am sure you will find your room to be pleasant and comfortable during you upcoming stay with us.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

If there is anything that you require to make your next stay as comfortable as possible please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team (reservation@pelhamhouse.com) and they will be only too happy to assist.

Kind Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager and The Team at Pelham House
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

A nice hotel set out in a historic building close to the centre of Lewes. I had a room in an outbuilding which was about 20m away from the hotel reception across the car park. This wasn't a problem as the standard room was spacious, well appointed, interesting, modern, clean and comfortable.

The food was all right with very good options for a cooked breakfast beyond the standard Full English. Service could be better a breakfast time - no one seemed keen to take away used plates etc.

I would recommend this as a very pleasant place to stay but be aware of the following points; the car park is very small and you need to book a space in advance, a fact that isn't very well advertised by the hotel, I had to park in the nearby railway station car park at a cost and there is absolutely no drawer space in the room. Other than that it was fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stayed and found the room to be pleasant and comfortable.

I am sorry however, to hear that you felt the breakfast service was not up to standards. I will certainly follow this up with our restaurant manager. Likewise, I am very sorry to hear that you felt the car parking arrangements were ill advertised. Our car park is very limited and we do try to take every measure to inform all our guests of this and of the necessity to book parking, However, I will be sure to look into how this can be improved.

Once again, thank you for this review. It is very much appreciated to hear back on both the negative and the positives as this gives us the foundation to move forward!

I hope you will visit Pelham House again in the future.

Kind Regards
Paul Morgan, General Manager and The Team at Pelham House

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!