“Perfect Weekend....Thank you.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Lewes
UK
“Perfect Weekend....Thank you.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Attended a Wedding at Pelham House and from the moment we arrived the sun shone and gave way to a great day and stay. Ceremony was at 3pm and as check-in time is also 3pm we werent sure about getting changed, Steve (the wedding planner) spoke to reception and arranged a room for us, nothing was too much trouble, he seemed to be everywhere arranging guests, the groom and the bride, well executed.
Room was large, bed very comfy and show was a deceant size with good water preassure. The food at the Wedding was great, everyone was commenting and there was so much even in the evening. Midnight we called it a night and retreated to bed. Next morning more food, Full English breakfast on the Terrace in the sun, perfect.
We thought about staying another night and taking advantage of Lewes and Brighton in the sun and we were offered £50. bed and breakfast which was great but we just couldnt think of a good enough excuse for work! Pelham House well done and we will be back. Top Tip - Dont count on parking, they have a small amount of spaces but there is lots of alternatives around...and dont get upset about it as 1 guy was doing, its an old building they cant do everything!

Room Tip: BE NICE! loose the attitude.....
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Crowborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I'd just like to say a big thankyou to you and your staff for making my wife's 50th birthday so memorable!

The food & its presentation was out of this world, the staff so attentive,polite & courteous, with the wood panelled room giving the occasion that special 'banquet' touch. In fact the whole night turned out to be probably the best dining experience the guests present had ever had! All this at a very competitive price!

I am sure from the commments made, that you will receive future bookings from those that attended.It really was a very special evening!

Please pass on my gratitude to all those involved!

Once again, Many, Many, Thanks!

Vic Standing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Lewes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We booked the restaurant for my mother's 80th birthday party. The food was delicious, an inventive menu, beautifully presented. Abi gave us the whole garden room at no extra charge and we chose from the excellent value set menu - either 17.95 for two courses, or 22.95 for three. We had our own waiter who was unfailingly polite and courteous (as were all the staff). The table was simply but tastefully laid and nothing was too much trouble - including the taking of photographs on the lovely terrace afterwards, invilving at least ten different cameras. What could have been a very stressful event to organise was made very easy for us. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Fantastic. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

This hotel has exemplary staff but it's horrendously noisy and very bad value for money. We made a last-minute booking for three nights during the Charleston Festival as it was the only place left with rooms in Lewes - now I can see why.

On our arrival we discovered a Vegas Night and a wedding were taking place on the Friday and Saturday nights we were there. On the Friday my sister and I were kept awake by extremely loud music and thumping bass coming from the live band who were playing at a Vegas night two floors below us. The noise was so loud it felt like we were sleeping above a night club. Despite staff assuring us the music would be turned off at midnight, the band continued to play beyond 12.
I made several calls to reception to complain that went unanswered. I then rang the external number of the hotel, which was picked up - giving me the impression staff weren't taking internal phone calls to avoid dealing with complaints about the noise. My complaints went unheeded so at 12.15am my dad (who was staying in another room) actually went downstairs to complain on our behalf. Credit to the barman, he immediately went into the event and literally pulled the plug on the band. However, just as I was drifting off to sleep at 12.45, the couple in the next room started having extremely loud sex! By 1.45am it was finally quiet and I managed to drift off.
The next morning the staff - who are unfailingly nice and polite - apologised but one admitted that the hotel regularly holds events on Fridays and Saturdays! They offered me and my sister another room for Saturday night but said we'd have to return to our original room for Sunday night. Deciding that it would probably have been just as noisy in another room, we opted to stay where we were. Also, we felt that when you are paying £200 a night, you shouldn't have to keep packing and unpacking to move rooms twice during a three-night stay.
Saturday night wasn't quite as noisy but we could still hear music from the wedding reception in our room until midnight, and my dad, whose room was right above the reception area/entrance hall, was disturbed by guests being noisy as they left at about 1am.
After a meeting with the general manager to discuss our concerns, he did knock £200 off the bill to make amends for the noise, which assuaged us somewhat. However, I felt his assertion that the hotel puts its guests first was not an accurate one - holding extremely loud parties and events that prevent people from sleeping is definitely not putting guests first.

Apart from the noise, the appearance of the hotel isn't great, especially considering the price. The paint was chipping off the window frames in our room, and paint on the walls was cracked and coming off in places. As others said, the hotel also felt very institutional. It definitely does not have a "boutique" feel to it, despite marketing itself as such.

The only plus points were the extremely polite staff and the cooked breakfasts. However, I would never, ever stay at this hotel again. The loud noise meant I felt tired and stressed for my entire weekend away and I left feeling really disappointed and ripped off. At £200 a night for a twin room, this hotel should have been so much better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
PelhamHouseLewes, Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Thank you for your feedback posted on Trip advisor. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed elements of your stay particularly the food and the service received from the team.

It saddens me to read the not so good comments on your posting. I had hoped that the dialogue with our General Manager and the variety of options offered at the time would have helped in resolving matters and made your stay more pleasurable.
Having fully understood your displeasure following the musical events taking place at the hotel and having refunded 100% of your first nights stay it was our full intention to turn around your negative experience, on this occasion we have certainly failed to meet your expectations but would like to re-iterate our offer discussed at the time of departure.

If you would like to contact me directly to discuss this additional gesture of goodwill , I would be happy to take care of all the arrangements, giving the hotel the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

This is certainly one of the nicest places I've ever stayed and easily the best place to stay in Lewes. The buildings are mostly eighteenth century and all charming. The panelled dining room with original spooky carvings is one of the coolest I've ever eaten a meal.
The staff were all lovely and extremely helpful.
It's quiet, beautiful and handy for the station and for Glyndebourne.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

I went for 2 nights with my parents in May this year. Staff were really accommodating about the three of us sharing a room and they gave us a surprise upgrade on arrival so we overlooked the gardens, which were beautiful. Nothing we asked for was too much. The beds were comfy, the view lovely and the breakfast really tasty with a really good selection of hot choices all freshly cooked to order. It was quiet, but still had a nice atmosphere and is in such a good location. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Room 5 was simply briliant - great bay window
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Excellent.Food good.Friendly staff.Expensive but paid for the quality.Being disabled i could not fault this hotel for their help.Please do check about parking but we did know.Will use again

Room Tip: Back first floor room 5
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!