“Well worth its #1 rating” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 74 Restaurants in Lewes
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Limetree Kitchen is a fully licensed restaurant based in the heart of Lewes, East Sussex. We offer a creative approach to the best quality ingredients which we source locally wherever we can. Join us for tea, coffee, delicious lunches (and light snacks) during the day or an indulgent evening meal. We look forward to seeing you in the Kitchen.
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Well worth its #1 rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was looking for a convenient place to meet up with a dear friend I hadn't seen in waaaay too long. She was headed to Shoreham, and I was in Winchelsea - so Lewes seems like a good place to meet. Other than reading that Anne of Cleves lived there, I knew nothing about Lewes or what to expect. So - I turned here for reviews and suggestions and found Limetree Kitchen. From their online menu it was clear it was in budget, and fairly easy to find. My friend agreed -- and we were on.

From the white wood tables to the Toulouse Lautrec prints and tiles, this is a lovely lovely place to meet a friend for lunch or coffee. I would imagine dinner to be the same high standard. My friend is a vegetarian, and we were assured that they could make many things work for her - the Croque Monsieur without ham for example - but we settled on soup and a bucket of fries both of which were delicious.

The soup was mushroom and roasted garlic and it was clearly fresh and original. What came was a deep bowl of thick dark brown soup which was - on tasting - a mixture of mushrooms, cooked and pureed with the roasted garlic, served with a few small slices of french bread and butter. It was all beautifully presented - the fries arrived in a little pail and were served with a sweet/spicy chilli sauce.

We were superbly taken care of, the food was marvelous and when we came to pay, we were surprised with two chocolate truffles on a stone tray decorated with rose petals. It was a super touch. The bill for two including the soups, a large bottle of San Pellegrino, and the pail of fries, and tip was really reasonable.

And if a restaurant is judged by its returnability (my word!) well - I already told my mom about it, and we plan to go there when I'm next back in the UK. It was simply super (bad pun intended!).

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Great food, you get what you pay for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

It has a laidback friendly feel; the two young guys running the place are slowly investing the profits into developing their business.
They clearly love what they are doing and so did we, take really good quality ingredients prepare with imagination and developing talent and you should have a very happy customer.
The special of the day, was a Pork ( we were proudly told where the speciality Pork farm was, by the Chef, who seems like a really good guy) set on a Cassoulet, which was delicious.
The starter was special, warm Buffalo Mozzarella on Melba toast with a small tomato salad.
The food is not cheap, but you get what you pay for, I have no complaints.
However, they also had an excellent Snack Menu, which was attractively priced and being consumed with appreciation by the customers.
Would we go back? Yes definitely, can't wait.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
York, United Kingdom
“"Lewisimo"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were a party of 6 and had a nice table and were looked after by two very attentive and attractive ladies and a gent who we assumed was the proprietor, with a good sense of humour. The food was excellent the wine list first class and two of our group are beer fans and they said the beers on offer were first class, though no Cidre was available. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Just lovely food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had dinner just before Christmas and were very impressed by the quality and wonderful taste of the food. The presentation and service were equally good. Starters and main course were each a limited choice of meaty, fishy or vegetarian, just about right for the size of the place, and meaning that each one is cooked to perfection. The afters were as interesting as they were tasty.
Since then we have had another evening at the Limetree and the food was just as good as before. Now we are living in Lewes, we plan on an evening there every few weeks as it's not as cheap as the restaurant chains, but for value for money, taste per pound if you like, there's very little as good as this.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

No shortage of cafés and restaurants in this excellent county town - biggest proportion of independent local shops (rather than chains) in the UK. Every over-educated slightly left-of-centre person in the SE seems to be opening a catering place here, and it's not a bad thing at all.
Staff in this new-ish place are great fun. The bloke serving, very witty, heard me say something about the Second World War and he paused then said, 'couldn't help overhearing, I believe Churchill said that in November 1942 after El Alamain'.
I'd been discussing the famous, 'this isn't the end, it isn't even the beginning of the end, but it is perhaps the end of the beginning,' speech.
Now, that's my type of geezer. He was right.
Oh, the coffee and cakes excellent. Not that it mattered after that exchange.

Visited November 2012