“Fabulous !!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“Fabulous !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I visited Café Maroc for the first time with three friends last night . We booked on an recommendation . The place has a great welcoming cosy atmosphere and friendly helpful staff who explain the menu to you if you are not familiar with the cuisine . We didn't have to wait long for our meals and had the sharing platter as a starter which was delicious and well worth the money . You have to take your own alcohol which they charge a £3 corkage fee. Overall the evening was a great experience , and will definitely be visiting again . One of Hastings Old Towns little gems !

• Visited March 2014

“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My first visit to Café Maroc, but definitely not my last. Lovely small restaurant within a shop, friendly and helpful staff who will explain the Moroccan dishes and their ingredients. Interesting and varied tagines with vegetarian alternatives. Delicious food - can't wait to go back and try something else. Must book in advance as there are only about 8 tables. Take your own wine/beer if required, and be aware that it's cash only. It's well worth it though, great atmosphere and different from the 'run of the mill' restaurants. I definitely recommend it.

• Visited February 2014
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Delicous Food, fantastic setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

What a fantastic place, I went here with my fiance for no reason other than treat night out and it was a fantastic treat. The menu is smalelr than many restaurants but I would still say everyone is catered for. I had fish and my partner had lamb and both were cooked to perfection. The soft drinks available are great I highly recomend the rose lemonade! we both folled our meal with mint tea and for the first time in a restaurant were given tips on how to brew it exactly to our own tates, it's those little things that make this restaurant my new favourite in Hastings. We were seated in the shop section of the building which was fantastic fun and meant we saw lots of bits and pieces which we will be going back to buy from the shop! When we visited you had to pay cash, and there is no alcohol licence but the corkage is reasonable, make sure you reserve as it is very very popular! We'll definitely be going back again!

• Visited January 2014
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Quirky, friendly, home-style Moroccan cafe/restautant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

First things first. This is not a large restaurant. It's a micro-restaurant/cafe and so has its limitations. Be aware of them, understand them and respect them and this is a great place to eat.

1) Be aware that it is a cash only restaurant. At the time of writing, it does not yet have facility to accept debit and credit cards, but not a problem as cash does still exist in the world.

2) It's not licensed to sell alcohol, but you can bring your own bottle and pay the usual corkage fee (£3 at the time of writing)

3) There are four tables of four in the main section and a side room in a shop with another table (perhaps slightly larger). Booking is essential.

We went on Saturday 8 February and were lucky to be able to get a table for three (pre-booked same day) for a 6:00pm sitting.

I'm no Moroccan expert, but the first thing we noticed was the room was tastefully decorated in authentic/authentic-style items, but not in an overbearing or tatty touristy way. The tables are quite close together, making it intimate, but I didn't feel cramped.

The head waiter was very courteous and attentive without being in your face. He kindly explained the menu which had about six items per starter and similar for the mains, plus a small specials board. The menu is quite meat heavy, with the mains having three or four different meat dishes (lamb/chicken), one fish (choice of two types but in the same tagine style) and one purely vegetarian.

We opted for meze starter off the specials board for £20 for three people, which was a really good option. This was basically a portion of each of the starters (minus the soup) on a sharing platter, served with warm pitta bread. Delicious.

For mains (all about £13 each), we opted for chicken and spinach and 2 fish tagines (one salmon and one sea bass) all served with cous cous (you can also choose rice). They came in large, scorchingly hot, heavy terracotta (?) tagine bowls. Do be careful as the food and the bowl were the hottest (heat/oven hot) I had ever encountered,

The food itself was really tasty. I can't vouch for authenticity, but I enjoyed very much what I ate and so did my partner and our friend. The only criticism, if I can nit pick anywhere, would be I'd rather have the cous cous separate on a plate rather than wet in the sauce, but that's just a personal preference and does not affect my rating.

Lemon cake and chocolate cake for pudding, both of which were good, but the lemon edged it for me (I managed one mouthful to try!). Really zingy.

I was stuffed halfway through my main course having slightly overdosed on the starter (I had to eat all the lamb meatballs!). I felt a bit rude leaving half of it, but this was no reflection on my enjoyment of it. I simply did not have the space!

Basically three courses for three people plus a mint tea and corkage came out at £25 per head.

Bottom line is would we go back? Most definitely. Possibly my favourite place to eat in Hastings on a par with Boulevard Books Thai restaurant/come bookshop which operates a similar unlicensed, homestyle cooking outlet.

• Visited February 2014
Rye, United Kingdom
“First visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Sorry for very late review !! First time visit last year with friends, and not disappointed. Excellent food, very tasty, unobtrusive service and an excellent evening. Will be returning asap.Be aware parking in street is difficult so park as far away as you can straight away.

• Visited November 2013