“Adequate, but heat saving policy totally unacceptable.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Apollo Guest House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hastings
Apollo Guest House
You added Apollo Guest House to your Saves list
25 Cambridge Gardens, Hastings, England   |
Ranked #31 of 51 Hastings B&B and Inns
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Adequate, but heat saving policy totally unacceptable.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just returned from a 3-day break at the Apollo. We were kindly checked in on a Sunday by special request, even though we were a little late. Faye was there to greet us. The room was spacious and comfortable, albeit with a tiny ensuite shower-room. The room's heating was by way of a radiator, which when on was sufficient, but this was the problem. The heating was on a timer controlled exclusively by the owners. So even though it was on average 8 to 12 degrees in temperature for the duration of our stay, said radiator was timed to switched off at 7:30pm each night. So on check-in day we were sitting in our coats watching tele before bedtime. This heating information we gathered the following day, as we queried the lack of heating with Faye, who said she would have a word with Jim the owner, otherwise she might get her wrists slapped if she changed the settings without his permission. She prompty returned to tell us we could have an extra hour in the evening. I've stayed at many hotels, but never experienced anything like this before, and found this to be completely unacceptable. Iwould like to remind Jim that his guest's comfort should be paramount and the heating of a hotel room, particulary in Autumn should be determined by guests and not by the proprietor. I bet he was not sitting in the cold in the evenings. So because of this, the wife and I took it upon ourselves to provide our own form of heating from the local shop. We are very familiar with Hastings and the Apollo is well positioned to explore the town, but we would not consider this hotel again. Incidentally we believe that the Apollo is occupied partly by residents and this may be the reason for regulating the rooms heating so strictly due to possible all day useage by residents. This, however, is to the detriment of the holidaymaker. We hope Jim will reply to the review and reassure future guests that the Apollo will provide sufficient heating in rooms especially out of season.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
James N, Owner at Apollo Guest House, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
I am extremely disappointed and very sorry that you experienced this problem whilst I was called away on family business. As you may remember, it was the weekend that British summer time ended. Unfortunately, Fay altered the timer and caused a fault. Again I apologise and will contact you direct to rectify this unfortunate situation. As for the the long term guest, he is a very elderly gentleman that was moving house and the contract was terminated at the last minute. He is no longer with us. We are not licenced to take & do not take long term guests.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Enjoyed a 3 night stay here - the bed was extremely comfortable, the room clean and big and a nice hot shower. Jim was very welcoming and all the staff were friendly and polite. The value was excellent and we enjoyed the peace and quiet. Thank you Jim.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

we stayed there last year and the owner was friendly, the room decent quality and clean. for the money we ignored the scaffolding outside, it was clearly a sign that the owner was in the process of renovating the place which can only be a good thing. we are in the process of booking up another long weekend there :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I'm delighted to see that the Apollo is still running under the capable hands of Jim Norris. I stayed there with my then partner a number of times in the 90s and we practically owned room 4! We always felt welcome or we wouldn't have kept going back. It's a nice traditional part of Hastings from which to explore things, my advice is head straight to the old town. It's a shame that Jim is no longer doing his kippers though :-)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Don't believe the negative press on this lovely guest house. Yes, there is scaffolding, (right outside our window) but the weekend we were there, no workmen were, so no problem. Beautifully clean and tidy, very comfy beds and pillows. A very good hospitality tray and nice owners.

Excellent location, what more do you need.

Will be back for another stay soon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

What can I say about this hotel?! I rang up the previous day and asked if I could move in early...no problem, let me leave my bags in the room and helped me with these as well. Then told me where I could park and any problems let him know. This was the first big plus!

Yes, there is scaffolding outside the building (this should not deter you as there are currently no builders on site, no noise and will make the building a lot better!!!!) The building is 5 mins walk from the busy town centre, next to the train station and a Tesco and Sainsburys. There is a key code to enter the building and then your room key whcih is very safe, and is in a safe area.

The room: spacious, double bed, en-suite, wardrobe, drawers, clock, chair, table side lamps, and tea/coffee/hot chocolate making facilities with kettle and finally, Freeview TV. They also provide Apple/Orange juice, water and biscuits. The cleaner changes the towels regularly, replenishes tea/coffee/hot chocolate and drinks daily.

As a final note, the owner of the hotel was easily contactable and friendly. He is on the premises most of the time (or he leaves his number if he isn't which you can contact). He allowed me to extend my stay by 2 days before I moved into my flat, sorted out internet problems (which is free wifi) and made a room so my parents could come down and help me move in. He is very accommodating and a great, friendly man!

I have probably missed some bits out but I would recommend this hotel to anybody and if needed, I would DEFINATELY use Apollo Guest House again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Beware - when i arrived was horrified to see ugly scaffolding all over front of hotel. No mention of this was made when i booked. The picture on the web makes it out to be a palace, in fact it was shabby and old/ugly. Beware if you are staying midweek or you will have builders peering into your rooms and a whole load of noise nuisance. The owner after you check in is nowhere to be seen on the premises, and only appears the following morning to open up for business. So if there was a fire what would happen? especially if there were children or older pensioners staying there?. There was no breakfast considering the amount of cash i paid to stay there. The only plus side was the clean room , but weighing up the risks - i'd go elsewhere and look for somewhere safer. Very dissapointing. If you have a disabilty or wheelchair forget it - this place does not cater for special needs. There is no lift.
**Please note this is not fabricated or made up - it's the truth from a very honest person.**

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
jimapollo, Owner at Apollo Guest House, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Thanks for the review “honest person” We are happy that you enjoyed the important part of our accommodation. The bed and pillows were comfortable, bedding, room & house was clean. Plenty of hot water & clean towels, staff and management were friendly & helpful. All this for £25 per night in an en-suite room. It is a pity that the scaffold on the front (you were in the rear) has upset you so much.
The scaffold was erected recently because of damage to the chimney. If you had looked, you would have noticed that there was NOT ANY boards on the scaffold, so how can there have been any workman? When you enquired and booked you were informed that the ground floor rooms were already let to disabled people and that breakfast is not included. Our website clearly displays an accessibility statement that explains the size of the entrance & staircase. We are inspected regularly by the Fire & Rescue service and adhere to all of their regulations; these are displayed in every room. Management live on the premises and are about most of the day; however we do need to pop out now again for routine tasks. We like to leave guests to enjoy themselves without keep pestering you whenever you enter or leave the building.

Been to Apollo Guest House? Share your experiences!