“Good service and lovely food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #142 of 821 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
“Good service and lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I'm compelled to write a review as I was a bit worried eating here after reading the reviews below. Personally I had a very good meal and experience. The staff were friendly, helpful and attentive. I enjoyed my meal but I don't like my food too spicy, so I could understand others finding it bland, but I'm sure they'd accommodate if you told them you like it hot! It's BYO, which keeps the bill down and please note there are no desserts and limited hot drinks. We'll go back.

Visited June 2013

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Four of us went to celebrate my birthday. They were clear at the time of booking that this restaurant is cash only and do not serve alcohol. We were welcome to bring our own drinks. The food was wonderful and obviously cooked to order and the atmosphere was relaxed. I had a great evening. We all had different dishes and they were all good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“Horrendous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

It's unusual for me to find a restaurant terrible on all levels- but this really was. Went for a nice meal with my partner, there was only one other table (a large family) there but when we walked in the staff looked as though they wished we had walked on past, so they could knock off early. Service was slow and miserable, no chat or explanation of the food. The chicken satay was spongy and tasteless, coming with a thin red curry sauce in Sauce instead of peanut satay sauce. We then received an oily seabass in a murky sauce, and chewy beef salad with so much fish sauce assed to it that it was overpowering.

As if this wasn’t bad enough, the family on the next table had got their iphones out and were proceeding to show each other youtube songs and videos at high volume, with the kids singing along and making a huge racket. I really expected the staff to ask them to keep it down a bit as we were obviously getting annoyed, but they just blankly stared into space as though they couldn’t care less, and then the girl in charge just went outside for a fag. We were so annoyed by this point that we didn’t finish our meal and just paid and left. Completely unsatisfactory on every level and would never go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“I don't normally write reviews..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

But I feel compelled to,, to spare anyone else a terrible meal.
Basically Red Snapper is local to me and it's always been somewhere to go when money is a little tight but you fancy going out in a reasonably nice setting. The food has never been incredible but it was always edible and the atmosphere made up for it.
That was until last night.... My boyfriend is a lover of Tom Yum soup and in this country is pretty hard to get a good one, but the one he ordered last night was unbelievably bad. It was like when you make homemade stock and you get that layer of oil floating on the top that you have to skim off. It had no taste other than oil... Yuk. Then the mains. Again, oil oil oil. We had tofu pad thai. When you bit in to the tofu your mouth was filled with oil, and that was the only taste. I ordered grilled prawns with stir fried vegetables- all of the vegetables were completely raw and cold, I asked them to cook them through a little and they came back in not much of a better state.
I will never ever go back. Yes its fairly cheap but it still cost over £50 for two people, without drinks as it a BYO, and it was a waste of money. Thai pad thai a few doors up is definitely better now, and it used to be the other way around. It is a shame because it did used to be enjoyable, I'm not sure if they have a different chef- but save your money and go elsewhere..

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
padulino
“okay, but gone a bit downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

A lot of the reviews here say that red snapper 'used to be good'. As for me used to be my thai takeaway of choice but won't be now am afraid. Starters were pretty poor, rice a bit of a mush, though the mains were tasty. So pretty average.... shame used to be really good.

Visited February 2013