“A Pleasant Meal Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #169 of 875 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Bistro
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Description: Nestled amongst Brighton���s famous Lanes, filled with bohemian cafes and boutiques, is The House Restaurant ��� a favourite hang-out for Brighton's foodies. Located only minutes away from the seaside and the Royal Pavilion, The House Restaurant is a cosy establishment spread over two floors in a converted Victorian house decorated with a modern vanilla and chocolate brown colour scheme. The food here is modern British, and specialties include beef Wellington and steak - customers come back again and again for the sirloin and fillet steaks, all tender, cooked to order and served with your choice of chunky chips or new potatoes. The extensive menu has something for everyone including, this being Brighton, a great range of vegetarian choices. Weather permitting (or even if it doesn���t ��� there���s heating!), there���s a lovely outdoor terrace set in a cobbled sheltered square in the south Lanes.
London, United Kingdom
“A Pleasant Meal Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Three of us ate al-fresco here late afternoon on the last bank holiday of summer 2012. Service quite good and the staff ebullient, drinks and food arrived in good time with the added bonus of live jazz nearby (they even took requests). The rib steaks were nice (we did have to ask for the condiments), and the chunky chips were excellent, the mushrooms were a little dissapointing and seemed to be re-hydrated. Two glasses of Bordeaux, two Stellas and a lemonade and the food all came to just under £100. The ambience (and luckily the weather) was very reminicent of the Cote D'Azur, and very enjoyable. I shall eat here again on future visits to Brighton.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge
“Nice tables outside in the sunshine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We sat outside al fresco style and had a glass of wine. Had already eaten so didn't order any food, but the plates coming out to other diners looked very appetising. The menu looks extensive and sounds quite nice too. It was really nice to sit outside and relax while a busker was singing some jazz tunes. Brilliant afternoon!

Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Firstly, I should point out I never write reviews but I felt this restaurant was worth it!

My sister booked this restaurant for her wedding meal. From start to finish the manager and Tanya were absolutely brilliant. On the day I arrived they had set up two rooms to the exact specifications. Owing to the number of guests we had to be sat upstairs. Unfortunately, my dad is disabled and could not climb the indoor stairs. The staff (especially the manager) we incredible, they spent ages mopping the outside steps and assisting him with firstly climbing and then descending the fire exit stairs allowing my dad to attend. in addition, the staff were fabulous with my nephew and niece and another young boy who are toddlers.

We ate from the set menu, which at £23.00 was reasonably priced. My steak was cooked to my request, as was my partner (who is very fussy with steak).

Overall it was a lovely evening compounded by the excellent customer service as nothing was too much. I will definitely visit again and can only thank the staff for everything they did.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Distinctly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Came here on a day trip to Brighton and I had been craving fish and chips all week. We sat inside as it was starting to rain. The staff were pleasant but unattentive. My friend had the 3 tapas for £9.95, which he enjoyed. I had fish and chips and was unfortunately left feeling a bit disappointed! The fish was small, you could tell it was frozen (although the freshly battered) - the chips were large but had a weird texture in the middle. It was all edible but, in my opinion, over-priced and average.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing find in Brighton!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We came across this restaurant by chance in mid August. We were greeted by an excellent host and were seated outside so to soak up the night time atmosphere. The food was fantastic value and really top rate. The restaurant offers a variety of meat and fish dishes. The portions were excellent and there was plenty of variety for everyone. The panfriend trout was particularly good! Will be returning on our next visit to Brighton!

• 5 of 5 stars Food