“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

+44 1273 202310
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Food for Friends is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 822 Restaurants in Brighton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Vegan
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Voted 'Best Restaurant' in the Brighton Foodie Awards 2012Good food Guide 2013Food for Friends restaurant in Brighton has been in the vanguard of vegetarian cuisine for more than twenty five years. Set in The Lanes, Brighton’s most happening district, Food for Friends has slowly spread over three shop fronts, developing a labyrinth of brightly lit, modern dining rooms kitted out with stylish minimalism, some overlooking the bustling lanes outside. Cuisine from around the globe is created using predominantly local, organic ingredients, some delivered by bike. Vegans and those with food allergies and intolerances are well cared for here. Wines are organic and mainly vegan, coffee is fairtrade, and an irresistible afternoon tea is served.
west sussex
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We used to eat in Food for Friends fairly frequently in the '80s and '90s. Probably weekly. Later, we moved out of town, had children, and life changed. Last night nostalgia got the better of us, and we thought we'd re-visit our old haunt. I believe the restaurant has changed hands since we were last there. It's still vegetarian, but quite a lot smarter to look at, and the food has become less 'hungry vege student' and more 'arty, gastro'.

We opted for the three course set menu, and the starters seemed promising. The portions weren't huge, but when you're having three courses, that's probably a good thing. I'm not entirely sure what my starter was, but it consisted of courgettes, carrots and feta, all very artistically arranged on the plate, and actually very tasty. So far so good. Next came the main course. My husband ordered the curry, and I ordered the 'crispy' potato and quinoa 'trencher'. Perhaps I was a little naive. The word 'crispy' should have rung alarm bells. However, I was unprepared for the rectangle of deep-fried potato cake that arrived on a teeny-weeny mound of very damp, wilted spinach, and completely unaccompanied by any proper vegetables. Again, the dish was artfuily arranged, and little heaps of cooked, skinned red pepper were dotted about with drizzles of some kind of oily dressing. The potato cake turned out to consist of sloppy mash coated in quinoa. It wasn't inedible. Just bland, greasy, and disappointing. If there'd been a good showing of accompanying vegetables, I would have left it and just eaten those, but as I was hungry, and that's all there was on the plate, I finished it off, then felt cross with myself for doing so. My husband's curry was not too much better. 'Gloopy, bland, and not very hot' was his verdict.

The puds were an improvement. My husband genuinely enjoyed his chocolate mousse cake. My apple crumble was ok, and nicely presented. Overall it was a mixed experience, but not one we will be repeating, The bill came to £50.60 for the food plus one glass of house wine, and one coffee. Too expensive to take a second chance.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

west sussex england
“Thank you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Food for Friends" is the best" because the customers are valued complaints are taken seriously. We visted last night and after our meal we left feeling very full and completely gratified.
I am a vegan and usually have problems when I go out to eat as there is a very limited choice in food. I often end up having to bring my own pudding or have a fruit salad and for a vegan with a sweet tooth this is disappointing. I had the apple lavender crumble with vegan cream last night and it was out of this world. Being in a restaurant where there is a selection of choices is usually a real luxury, but Food for Friends provide a range of mouth-watering treats and show how it can be done. I like the fact that Food for Friends meals are all veggie and can be adapted to vegan, or gluten free which is marvellous. "This is a fantastic restaurant" visit and you will not be disappointed, conversely if you have any concerns management will address them promptly.
"Thank you Food for Friends for our special night last night".

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Delicious food with lots for vegans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've been to Food For Friends twice and both times it's been a wonderful experience. The decor is delightful, the staff are friendly and the food is very tasty and well presented. I especially liked the cute clay bowl of pistachios waiting at the tables and the home made bread we ordered to start. There is always plenty of choice for vegan, which is welcoming.

Thank you! See you again before long :)

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hove, United Kingdom
“Memorable Mothers' Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

From the warm and friendly welcome on arrival to the cheery (and genuine) 'Happy Mothers' Day!' on departure this was a brilliant treat. The service was as good as the high quality food with a delicious selection of food on the special menu. Forget what people say about this being a great vegetarian restaurant, it's simply a great restaurant where even carnivores like me can enjoy a wonderful meal with top class service in a relaxed atmosphere. Their dishes are but together with real imagination and flair, using quality ingredients. A really good drinks menu too with plenty of alcohol-free options. Check out their website for sample menus.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Expensive & over-rated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This had been recommended by some friends of mine, and is the sort of place I would normally avoid not being a vegetarian. A table was booked without any hassle, however when we turned up we were made to wait half an hour. A few apologies were given, but in general the staff didnt seem particularly bothered by it - and especially the guy who seemed to be the boss. He only seemed interested in selling us drinks, none of which were complimentary bearing in mind the delay. Eventually the food came out (an hour after we had sat down), and was disappointing to say the least. I would doubt the veg was fresh, as it all seemed a bit limp and didnt have that fresh, crisp taste that you would expect. Two courses, a bottle of wine, and 3 hours later, we get the bill. Maybe they charge for the time you are sat there because we felt that £75'ish was excessive, especially for that level of quality. Maybe because they are in 'The Lanes' they feel they can charge that bit extra - doesnt wash with me though. Will not be going back, and certainly letting the recommenders know

• Visited February 2013