“A great shelter from the storm!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“A great shelter from the storm!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Struggling to stay upright in the face of 80 mph winds on Brighton seafront, we ducked into Donatello's Italian restaurant for Sunday lunch. As on a previous visit, it was packed - but a helpful maitre 'de soon has our party of four seated and ready to order. At £6.95 the two-course menu - helpfully available all day (except Sat. eve's.) - is a bargain. Three of us chose the salad bar, whilst our soup lover declared his large bowl of minestrone to be just the ticket. Salads eaten, our main courses promptly arrived - two Petto di Pollo Milanese, a tagliatelle Alla Siciliana, and my Spaghetti Alla Marinara. This was my second time of opting for this seafood pasta dish - and again, it was everything I could have wished for. Pasta just 'al dente', beautiful tomato sauce, and a generous helping of prawns, mussels, squid and baby clams. Topped of with a sprinkling of fresh parmesan cheese, it was an excellent choice. I'm already looking forward to my next visit!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
donatello-brighton, Public Relations Manager at Donatello, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are pleased to offer shelter to any weary traveler, with a genuine Italian welcome to our family Ristorante.

Everyone has their favourites dishes for seafood lovers may we suggest our famous Spaghetti Alla Cozze.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Does What It Says On The Tin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Reviews vary wildly about Donatello, from 1 star to 5 star. Remember this - it's in a hugely busy part of Brighton, it's always mobbed, and it's very fast service, conveyor belt almost. But the food is very nice, consistent and a very pleasant place to pass the time of day for lunch. And it's great value, especially the set lunch menu. It's a regular when I'm shopping.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
We are a busy and bustling family run Ristorante but we always remember the customer is King. We never rush peoples meals and we only serve delicious food.

Of course in busier times the restaurant does get a little louder but that only adds to the atmosphere. We like to think we are so busy due to our terrific prices, brilliant food and great service.
Nelliekay
“Why a service charge??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Service hit & miss, a smile from our waitress would have been nice, especially as we had a child with us. We chose the set menu. I had salad bar,was ok, and a pasta dish which was also fine. My companion had prawn cocktail, why only 3 quarters of a slice of bread?? His pasta was said to be good.
Deserts ok but nothing to write home about.
Then came the bit which makes me wild, why, oh why, was there a 10% service charge!!! I am not charged a service charge for using shops so why do restaurants think it is ok to charge people for using their business.
I will not be going again if I can help it but Donatello's has a prime spot and is popular so I hardly think they will miss me.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
As our prices are such excellent value for money we find that the vast majority of customers don't mind a 10% Service Charge, which on our two course menu is 72 pence. Your serving staff work very hard to make sure your meal is perfect.
Axminster, United Kingdom
“Great food, excellent service and brilliant value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Three of us dined here on a Saturday lunchtime. The place was buzzing and filling quickly. We were immediately greeted and escorted to our table. The staff were very friendly, efficient and attentive. Our drinks order was quickly taken, and once we'd ordered the food appeared very quickly afterwards. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals and to cap it all - very reasonably priced. As we left, there was an orderly queue at the door waiting to be seated - not bad for a saturday lunchtime! We'll certainly be back, and I'm sure we'll not be alone.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your kind words which have been shown to the staff. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Of course we cant wait to serve you again and hopefully you will miss the queue too...
Hove, United Kingdom
“Trusty Donatellos! A part of brighton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Along with family and friends I am a regular diner at Donatello. This restaurant has left me with so many great memories and continues to do so. The front of house ( I forget his name. Doh!) is one of the best in the business, he is consistent when providing a professional service and warm welcome into the restaurant. He did a smashing job when organizing my eighteenth birthday (over ten years ago now!) which I thoroughly enjoyed at this establishment. The waiter service is generally fantastic but due to the busyness of the restaurant it can sometimes slack slightly, however this is rare. The food is fantastic!! The best pizza in town by a long shot and at a very reasonable price. I would say that Donatello is the nearest thing to real Italian city food. Having had a holiday in Rome I can vouch honestly to that. I always feel at home when dining at Donatello and believe it has made a real mark in Brighton, Cant imagine the lanes without it!
I will be dining at Donatello for a Xmas meal with some ex work pals, we have been dining here as friends for over ten years and would never change our restaurant plans from Donatello. I enjoyed one of their pizzas just two weeks ago and it was delicious as usual!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review. We are so glad you keep coming back to enjoy Donatello. Its loyal customers like yourself that make Donatello such a vibrant part of the Laines.

We trust you have seen our christmas menu on the Donatello website, donatello.co.uk/xmas and look forward to serving you in the not to distant future.