“Excellent new hotel close to the station and city shops” 5 of 5 stars

Jurys Inn Brighton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Stroudley Road, Brighton BN1 4DJ, England   |
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent new hotel close to the station and city shops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Arrived mid morning by car for an overnight stay mid-week. Easy car parking right opposite and very cheap (£16 for 24 hour period in the City centre..!) Hotel spacious, very clean and a welcoming atmosphere. Staff friendly and efficient. The facilities - bar and restaurant areas good in terms of seating, tables and the prices. Food menu looked really good and well thought out although Brighton has so many places to eat that you might be tempted to not eat here. Breakfast however was taken at the hotel and this was on par with the high star rated hotels in the City. Enjoyable and fresh ingredients. Room - a twin, was well appointed, airy and quite adequate for the one night stay.Beds comfortable and had a good nights sleep. Coffee from the bar area was Costa - and very good. Only complaint and a very small one at that, was the level of pop music in the public toilet area. Otherwise - excellent hotel and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the station side look out over the car park and railway tracks. Soundproofing addresses thi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Bretagne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

pros:
-new, modern and clean throughout
-full breakfast : excellent
-price
cons:
-sofa bed too small for two kids, unless they are very small
-not close to the sea, the pier and the places of interest (good if you want the station-3 mins walk)
-no free car park (station's car park is across the street, but you have to pay, £11/day)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Really nice modern hotel (one of the few modern ones in Brighton)
The rooms are a good size, they are also clean and well furnished.
The breakfast Buffet is huge and always fresh and hot .
Overall a very pleasant experience ... BUT if you arrive by car beware as they do not have thier own car park. They direct you to a car park right by the station (about a 100metre walk away) the tarrif seems reasonable at £16 per night , what they fail to point out is that the nightly charge expires at around 4.30a.m., you then incur a surcharge (a nasty trick, I think).
If however you park in a private car park in nearby Fleet St it is only £12 for 24 hours , it is a bit of a bomb site but it is only a car park after all.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

My friend and I stayed here overnight after a day out in Brighton. We arrived by car and the hotel was easy to find by following the signs to the city railway station. There is no parking at the hotel - but that wasn't a problem as the railway station carpark is on the opposite side of the road. The reception staff were very helpful - we arrived at midday before official check in - but they checked our room and it was ready so they kindly checked us in early. The room was a good size with a double and single bed, nicely decorated, and clean. The bathroom was a good size with nice complimentary toiletries - Gilchrist and Soames. Also there was an abundance of mirrors in the room - 2 good size ones in the bathroom, 2 in the bedroom - one of which was a full length mirror - something of a rarity in hotels. The beds are firm but comfortable with good size fluffy duvets, the pillows are nice but slightly firm.
Buffet breakfast was included and there was a good variety - with cereals, full English (plus vegetarian option), and fruit and yogurt.
The hotel is 5-10 min walk from the start of the north lanes in a quieter area of the city. Despite being so near to the station I didn't hear any noise from the trains. My friend and I really enjoyed our stay, and would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights while attending a wedding. We struggled to find the hotel. Our (out of date) sat nav didn't recognise either the post code or the address. When eventually we phoned reception, we did get helpful directions. Our room was clean and well equipped, the breakfast good and the public areas of the hotel smart. Unfortunately our stay was spoiled by the hen party with which we shared our floor who returned in dribs and drabs between 3 and 5 am.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Mandy46,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would like to apologise for your night’s sleep being disrupted by other guests returning in the early hours. We do everything possible to limit the amount of disruption by party goers but unfortunately on some occasions, they are not always mindful of how noisy they can be on the journey to their respective rooms. I hope your experience will not dissuade you from staying with us again in the future. Should you choose to visit us again, can I ask that you contact me directly and I will ensure a good nights sleep.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

If you want a comfortable, clean, pleasant room a short walk from the station, then this a fine place to stay. The greeting at reception was friendly and efficient, my single bed with its large duvet was very comfortable and I slept well. For all these good things I would normally give a hotel four stars.

But it doesn't really deserve four stars, it deserves 3 1/2. Why? The little details. My bathroom needed refurbishment and the loo groaned for a while after I flushed it. The reading light pointed over the double bed, but not over the single bed I wanted to sleep in. They serve unripe melon in the breakfast buffet and don't peel all the green skin off. The prunes are straight out of the packet (ie chewy) and still have their stones in. Lunchtime conference buffet was not great. Two of my companions' electronic keys stopped working at around 9am. Free wifi downstairs but it didn't work in my fourth floor room. You get the picture.

This is not a fancy hotel, so maybe my expectations were too high. For my business meetings the location was perfect. It's not close to the sea but it's only 15 minutes to walk to the pier. None of this should put people off and I would happily stay there again, but now I know what to expect.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
DamienDoyle, General Manager at Jurys Inn Brighton, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Ant42

Thank you for taking the time to write review.

I was happy to read that you got a good night sleep. We have recently upgraded our bedding and we have had numerous positive comments in this regards. I was not made aware of any maintenance issues within any of our rooms similar to what you have mentioned but I will indeed investigate further. Unfortunately we do not yet have wifi available on the bedroom floors hence not being able to receive a signal. I hope to remedy this in the near future.

Should you wish to visit Brighton again on business or indeed pleasure, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to manage your booking personally.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I called to reserve - they did not answer for 15 minutes. Eventually I hung up, rang a friend who was able to reserve on the internet (I had no direct access to the internet). Not a good start. Other major complaint is that a laundry lorry arrived at around 6.30 am and was very noisy loading and unloading outside my window - woke me up much earlier than I would have liked. Also, reception was understaffed.

Overall the room was good, and the building nice, but the service provided left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Probably better to get a higher floor - I was on floor 1 on the side, and hence the laundry truck wa...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Bruce T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was disappointed to read that we did not answer your call on time and that you were disturbed from your sleep by a delivery. As you can see from previous reviews, this is by no means a measure of our usual standard of service. Should you choose to visit Brighton again, can I ask that you contact me directly and I will ensure you are well looked after.

damien_doyle@jurysinns.com

Been to Jurys Inn Brighton? Share your experiences!