“Good value deal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Brighton Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brighton
The Brighton Beach Hotel
41-42 Marine Parade, Brighton BN2 1PE, England   |
Ranked #43 of 44 hotels in Brighton
Essex
“Good value deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Having arrived in Brighton and then decided against my pre-booked hotel, I was so pleased with the warm welcome I received from the owner of Brighton Beach Hotel. He did have a single room with shower but hesitated offering it to me as it was situated on the fourth floor but offered me the key to inspect before booking in. The room was really charming, well equipped, nicely furnished and had a view overlooking beach and pier. Everything I wanted - apart from the 67 stairs. However I reasoned that once my suitcase was there, the stairs would do me good. There were only three rooms on this floor and as both the others were ensuite it meant the toilet was practically just for me. The rates were very reasonable too and although there was the customary increase of tariff on Friday and Saturday nights, I thought it really value for money.

Breakfast (Full English or Continental) was most enjoyable but sometimes language differences meant waiting staff didn't always understand the "variations" of the Full English that I ordered. However, they were always friendly and polite and strived to get things right. Throughout my stay I was always met with friendliness and a willingness to get things right - from the owner right down to the chamber maid.

When a single full ensuite room lower down became vacant it was offered to me , and I was able to change and this one too had seaviews - all at no extra cost. Marvellous. The Parking for 12 cars was another welcome feature of this seafront hotel.

To be strictly honest the individual rooms, although very comfortable, could do with having some money spent on them and possibly being updated a bit. The public areas were fresh and clean - in fact the whole house smelt fresh - and there was a comfortable lounge with a large TV (handy as World Cup football was on).

Having got to this hotel by default, as it were, I couldn't have picked a more suitable place if I'd tried and a return visit will be on the cards.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

rooms in need of cleaning and decorating, carpet in bedroom grotty, shower full of mould, a packet of half eaten nuts had been left on floor behind bedside cabinet and papers in drawers don,t know how long they had been there. The only good thing was its sea front location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

the hotel was very scruffy an grubby. the room was even worse. a mildew/mould covered shower curtain, a slimey shower tray complete with hair from the previous occupant, soap scum in the sink and the door to the ensuite would not close. the carpet was dirty and badly stained and a broken piece of wood was propping the wardrobe up. the floor was so slanted nothing would stay on the bedside cabinets. the curtaains were hanging off a buckled rail. the one overhead lamp did not work.we were told bedding and towels would be changed daily but this did not happen. there were thick layers of dust on all surfaces on the stairway.
the breakfast was at best very poor, the cups and saucers did not match and they had no teaspoons in the cutlery basket. there was also only one glass on the table with the fruit juice yet several people wanting the juice. the tables were crammed tightly together in what can only be described as a cellar, complete with damp patches on the walls.
this is definatly a place i would avoid at all costs in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

This hotel from the front looks quite plesant. BUT...when me and my friends arrived here we found the parking horrendous and the staff to be very rude with poor understanding of what we were saying. The breakfast was horrendous and tasted like rubber. I know it may only be 2 star but come on it dosent take much to make sure it is kept clean. My room that i share with my friend was VILE...it had clogged dust all over the place the whole room slanted forward and made us feel pretty dizzy. The staff ask for your car keys in case they have to move the cars which is fair enough.....BUT a member of staff at this hotel left our car unlocked all day and night...i understand we should have checked it but we trusted some one else with our keys to our car and that is unaccebtable. The prices of the hotel are a rip or for crap to be honest. The only nice part of this hotel was the view we had of our window. I wuldnt stay there again out of choice and was very unhappy at how rude the staff were.

Leicestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

The location was great and it had a free car park. Now for the down side - the carpet was filthy, thick with dust and muck as were the furniture and bed head. The shower was black with mould and the basin had not been cleaned. The tea cups and tray had not been cleaned from the previous letting and when my wife went to reseption to ask for clean ones they were handed over with reluctance. Realising that complaining would get us no where and that Brighton was fully booked the wives resorted to buying anti bacs and cleaning cloths and set about making the rooms just about useable. The balcony was accessed through a large sash cord window that could not be secured meaning that anyone stepping from balcony to balcony along the terrace could easily gain access. The room door could not be locked from the inside and the room lighting was inadequate. The furniture looked like it was ready for the tip and the wardrobe that was rotting at the bottom stank so much that we would not put our clothes in it. There was an enveloope in the room dated July 2009. Loads of fag ends on the balcony. Matress was stained, although bed linen and towels did seem to be clean. A previous occupant had written in the dust on the inside of the window. We were served with a cold pot of tea on the first morning and the full English breakfasts were cold and awful. Next morning we all ordered continental breakfast. Our wives were served with crossants and cheap pots of yoghurt. Us males were however given a choice of crossants or muffins, no better though. There is more but if you are probably bored if not horrifird by now. Our freinds room was exactly the same and when we complained we were told "the owner is going through a bad patch". So are his guests!

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

good things to say are good location, breakfast very nice
bad things were , the room was filthy , didnt dare walk on carpet stained and not cleaned ,first time never used the shower in a hotel dirty and very old, an old metal pipe sort of hose!
furniture was like from a jumble sale old and chipped and the wardrobe was dusty inside and musty did not unpack
had to keep the window closed as pigeons on window sil,warned to close the window as they would come in
stag party one night arrived,noisey ,shouting, police called as one of them smashed the front window and arrested
couldnt wait to wash everything when got home
will never go there again

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

The hotel is old rundown and looks like it's about to fall down the whole place is dirty and needs ugent attention.
If there's a fire you won't make it out AVOID this place like the plague!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Brighton Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!