“Do not stay here!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-4 Regency Square, Brighton BN1 2FG, England   |
Ranked #30 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
“Do not stay here!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have never felt the need to leave a review before so this is my first one as i feel so strongy about it. Me and my partner both in our mid twenties (and used to budget hotels especially from the likes of Ibiza) stayed here for two nights. I am not too fussy and didn't think it would be as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be. How wrong was I?! The mattresses feel like they haven't been changed since before I was born and I got bitten 5 times during the first night. The rooms say they are a double but it's two uneven twin beds pushed together. We did have another two beds in the room which I didn't actually like as it took up space unnecessarily, however came in handy when I refused to get back in the awful bed from the first night. The daylight came beaming in as soon as the sun rose and the drilling outside kept us awake (even after a night on the town). I wouldn't get in the lift as it was the size of a phone box and has a brown shutter door which looked like something from the titanic. This meant climbing three floors to get up and down and considering i am young and healthy and it tired me out after two days, this isnt great for anyone less able! The carpets and decor were poor, dated and worn. My partner has never turned down food and isn't fussy but refused to eat breakfast the second morning after the first morning put him off. I stuck with the toast. We didn't see the point in complaining after reading on here how unhelpful the manager has previously been. I couldn't WAIT to leave and the first thing I did when I got back was get in the shower because I felt gross from the hotel. £55 a night is not bad and it is close to the centre, but I would rather pay a bit more and not feel like I was in fawlty towers.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Have just come back from a hen weekend in Brighton. The hotel itself is very Fawlty Towers, aged carpet, rickety lift, tired decor and moderate breakfast. However, if you just want a place to rest your head, get ready for a night out and be close to bars/pubs/clubs then this is spot on. Our rooms had enough room for 4 people in each which was brill. Staff were super friendly and accommodating. There were other hen/stag do's which meant noise at night wasnt a problem!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
South West England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

This is the worst place I have ever walked into. It makes me ashamed to be British. I wasn't due to stay here, I drove my friend who was visiting me from Australia. She had booked 2 nights via the internet. We arrived at the hotel and she checked in. the girl on Reception was quite nice. The lift was old and small. The corridors were old shabby narrow and dim. Wood chip wallpaper was peeling off. In the room, it looked airy, but on closer inspection the dirt and filth was hanging off the light fitting, and all around the corners of the room was fluff and dirt. My friend used the loo, and when I used it afterwards it would not flush. The water was dribbling, and 15 mins later i still could not pull the flush. We decided to complain and opened the bedroom door to find the manager (I assume) (tall guy. bald, with an eastern european accent) outside with a cleaner. We complained about the dirt on the light fitting and he said .. ok she (pointing to the cleaner) will clean it.. we then mentioned the toilet, and he told us, quite abruptly, that it was an old building 'so get used to it'. (My home is 160 years old with a perfect flush system). We then mentioned the room was dirty and the hotel shabby. He taised his voice, and started screaming at my friend to 'get out'. I then told him that he shouldn't talk to her like that as she was a customer. He looked at me, and again shouted at the top of his voice for us both to get out. We demanded a full refund for my friend, and she found a nice place nearby. Never in all my life has this ever happened to me and all this for £90 a night. A scandal!!!! I was so angry at this total lack of customer service, awful attitude to the customer, and disgusting filth. Please do yourself, and me, a favour - dont even consider this place!!!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

OK, so where can you stay in Brighton for £50 a night in a large clean room, with OK bathroom and a great sea view? So you can’t drink the tap water, would you do it in Spain? Not what we expected in 2012, but the place is old. However, the breakfast, now that was a shabby as the hotel it self in being just passable. The place needs serious money spending on it, and the lift, I loved a real through back to days before health and safety, my partner preferred to walk in the smelly stairway. The owners’ needs to do something about the smell from their fish restaurant coming in to it – if it wasn’t that, then god help them, and then paint it! The beds were great, the room was clean and decorated in “an eclectic way”. The staff were nice and English good. The location excellent and the NCP opposite was handy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Whilst I am in agreement with the fact that this hotel is in need of updating we found it a very pleasant stay, we found the staff amazingly friendly. For the money we were extremely happy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I stayed there with my partner on a Saturday night and it cost £95 so I expected a reasonable hotel standard but we were very disappointed. It was very shappy and in need of a refurbishment. The walls and carpets were worn; the bathroom door handle came off in my hand; and the lamp shade was held together with sellotape. It was also very noisy - the windows are not double glazed so we could hear all the noise from outside (traffic and drunk people) and the beds and floors creaked loudly. We were in a room near a firedoor which slammed loudly everytime someone went through it which was frequently throughout the night so we got hardly any sleep. Breakfast was disorganised. We had to queue for everything: queue to get tea or coffee, queue to order toast, queue to get a cooked breakfast. We wouldn't have minded so much if we paid a cheap rate but £95 for this shabby affair is taking the pee.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Coventry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

On arrival at this hotel I gave my name and reference code they provided me by email and they could not find me. I stated again my first and last name and as the manager could not find my details he responded in an aggressive manor 'I'm not stupid' to which I replied how dare he speak to me as all I did was gave my names and booking reference. Once he realised he obviously went over board and I was very upset by this after only being in the hotel for a matter of minutes he stepped outside the reception to apologise and shake my hand repeatedly. I travel internationally with my role and use all matter of accommodation and I do not expect to be treated or spoken in this way especially as this was completely unprovoked. The hotel itself is very dated and could do with major modernisation. Our room was adequate but the communal and corridors were very shabby. Location is best part and price and rudeness of the Manager (Toumi) is worst part as this is completely overpriced even for a hostel star abode !!! :-( almost ruined my weekend break with the CCFC crew but Brighton FC did that by beating us 2-1 !

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!