“Be Afraid! Three Star Terror!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brighton
Abbey Hotel
14-19 Norfolk Terrace, Brighton BN1 3AD, England   |
Ranked #89 of 98 Brighton B&B and Inns
london
“Be Afraid! Three Star Terror!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

Despite staying at many hotels and not being one for airs and graces (I often stay at NYC's Westside Y for heaven's sake!), nothing quite prepares a person for the nightmare that is the Abbey Hotel. Decorated in Early English Disaster, the reception with it's wall to wall glass partition, is the first indication that all is not as it seems. Your door key is handed to you via a small opening beneath along with a security keycard (another indication) required to enter the grim main bulk of the hotel. At this point, one is left pondering that this is a venue that expects or has already witnessed dubious goings-on.

Shabbiness is the word that comes to mind as one makes ones way to the cell-sorry, room of their choice. Is it the fraying carpet, the spartan walls or the numbers on the doors hand-etched with a silver marker that finally causes a person to want to turn tail and leave? Probably all three.

After checking out the down-at-heel shower and toilet facilities (the shower door was some bizarre louvre door type thing) and disovering that my allocated room was about as enticing as an invitation to go backpacking in Fallujah, i decided to make the most of the one fabulous resource the hotel offered - free wireless internet access!! Within seconds I had booked into the wonderful Legends Hotel (the last room) and was on my way.

Most reprehensible is the fact that some orgainisation has seen fit to give a 3star rating to this hotel of horror. One can only quake at the prospect of what kind of establishment merits just the one! It should also be noted that my email of concern sent almost immediately received no response. However, that should not surprise as the whole enterprise has indifference written all over it.

Stayed November 2007

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

The company I was working for in Brighton booked this hotel for me, when I got the details I checked it on the web and saw it was self catering, but did offer breakfast as extra. Therefore I asked for breakfast to be booked for me, and confirmed this when I arrived. On the first morning the receptionist told me that breakfast was not served until 08.30, I therefore went back to my room and returned at 08.30 only to be told she thought I'd left and had cancelled my breakfast. The second morning, I did get breakfast, although I had to wait for the receptionist to go down the street to buy bread and cereals! The third morning the duty receptionist told me in no uncertain terms that breakfast was NOT being served that day (even though it was booked and paid for). After that I gave up. The first night I was in a single room, sleeping (or trying to sleep) on an uneven bed, with nasty shared toilets with no wash hand basins in them. After the first nights experience, I upgraded to a room with en-suite, although better, throughout my stay the bathroom was never cleaned nor the meagre carpet vacuumed. It was noisy, smelly and generally unpleasant. I also suspect there were fleas in the carpet as I got bitten quite badly on my feet and ankles. Only stay here if you want a totally miserable experience.

• Liked — Getting out
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gatwick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

15 of us went to Brighton for a Stag Weekend and this hotel was perfect for a place for all of the lads to crash out after a heavy night on the booze. The hotel seems to be run by Polish staff and they are all very pleasant. The bedrooms are clean but VERY basic, but worst of all, not all of the rooms have ensuite's or toilets ! This means using the communal toilet and shower in the corridor ! Not nice if you're desparate for the toilet in the night and when you have to walk back from the shower half-naked.
Overall, our stay was reasonable but be warned, this is NOT a place to take your partner - single groups only in my opinion !

Stayed July 2007
Norwich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

My partner and I stayed at the Abbey for two nights in early April, 2007. We should have suspected something was amiss immediately, as the hotel charged our card before we even showed up. When we arrived, we were sent to a room that was simply filthy - hair in the bed, grime or grease caked into the carpet, a rancid odor, bleach-stained sheets...you get the idea. We then requested a room change, and were given a slightly better choice, albeit with some stray hairs still in the bed.

As the doors did not lock automatically behind us, we were surprised in the middle of our second night to find a completely drunk imbecile attempting to get into our bed! Fortunately, he was harmless and I gently pushed him out to the hall...obviously, things could have gotten ugly.

The next morning at around 7 we found the desk clerk completely out of his mind drinking a can of Budweiser. He apologized for everything regarding our stay, told us he had quit his job, and that he would never want any of his friends to stay at the Abbey.

Enough said?

• Liked — The location, I guess.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

I stayed here with my boyfriend for two nights, just to experience Brighton at its best. For the price i paid (50GBP) per night i was not expecting the ritz. What we got was a twin bedroom on the top floor with fantastic views, ample space, a good Kitchenette and a really quite lovely bathroom. The Sheets were clean, the towels fresh and the beds were so comfortable.

i must add it would be advisable to book an en suite and make sure you get one, as the ground floor is somewhat a youth hostel and the bathrooms shared. You wouldnt know who you'd be sharing with. To say it lightly this is only basic accomodation, but the hotel has very good security and you feel very safe. It is manned at all hours and you are given a security card to gain access to the upper floors, so nobody unruly can get up there(AND you are not allowed any guests so it is quiet)

As far as location i would reccomend getting a taxi if you are coming by train. We walked using multimap dirctions and spent an hour walking there.

The hotel is located just a few streets from the seafront, and only a mile walk to the pier and 2 miles to the shopping lanes. you can access the Mall and main shopping precinct by walking down to the sefront and getting a bus. (if you are unable to walk you can also get to the pier this way)

I cannot reccomend any restaurants as we used the Kitchenette in our room and ate in boith evenings- but there are several VERY good restaurants in Brighton and a hearty english pub literally the next street over from this hotel.try the caterers on the pier- you can watch chinese chow mein whipped up before your eyes!!!

A very likeable hotel but dont expect it to be 5 star- it does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Liked — The beds and the space in the room.
  • Disliked — The fact our Kitchenette only supplied us with one cup- but after bugging the staff we were given one more...lol
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

I was booked in for one night as I was working in Brighton for one day and the company paid £60, more than the travelodge that others in my group were staying at, but they were fully booked so we opted for the abbey hotel. Trying to locate the hotel was a hassle, even though its a good location sort of, the receptionist could not direct us from the seafront!! she just repeated the name of the road....cos that helps?! finally...walking into the reception led me to believe that this was a simple modern hotel, all light and airy....as soon as you step beyond the reception you are met with grubby carpets peeling at the edges and a smell I can only describe as a mixture of cabbage and sick, with an a aroma of cigarettes....I walked up the staircase (the lift looked more like a serving hatch thing) whilst avoiding the trodden in crisps up to the first floor....the smell of cigarettes gradually getting stronger....nice! The room was big, thats about all it had goin for it, everything else looked and felt grubby. The door to the bathroom was like something ot of alice and wonderland the width of it being less than half the size of a normal door.... the shower was dirty and was merely a dribble when running. The bottom of the curtains were all black, and friends staying in another room had to attach their own shower door?! you could clearly hear the tv at least 3 rooms away and there was a whole family with a crying baby in the room next door...though granted the crying baby was only doing what I wanted to do when I realised I was stuck in this place....all be it for only one nite. The window shook all night and could not be locked, and this window was facing out to the street, as two girls alone we weren't too happy about that.... the staff seemed to know very little about facilities the first receptionist we came across.... saying there were no parking facilities it was us to us to find somewhere...be warned its all resident parking around hotel....though apparently we found out later by someone else staying there that there is a £6 a night parking.... This place is more like a hostel than a hotel, although according to some sign stuck on the back of the door it began refurbishment this year, it seems it got as far as the reception and gave up! I think I've gone on far too long, but until they properly refurbish this place....don't stay there!!!

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — everything...the smell and how unclean it was!
  • Tips/Secrets — try and see the rooms of where you plan to stay first, failing that stick to chains like travelodge.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

Just got back yesterday, was a fine hotel, if your not fussy, good value for money in brighton, only 1 problem really, BE SURE TO TRIPLE CHECK YOUR ROOM BEFORE YOU LEAVE. I left a ring there of great sentimental value only worth €25 left it by the sink in the room, I rang 4 times about it but it was no where to be seen, I see this as dishonest as i am 110% certain that its was there, they didnt offer to ring me back if they ever happened to come across it, even after i stressed how important to me it was.of course i have to take Blame because i left it there but i just wish there were a bit more helpful, will not stay there again because of that i know it is only a cheap hotel but that shouldnt matter. I wish i could give it one star but the rooms were fine.

• Liked — comfy duvets
  • Disliked — losing my beautiful ring
  • Tips/Secrets — triple check your room!
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!