“Above average budget-ish Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 30% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #9 of 45 Hotels in Brighton
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Above average budget-ish Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had two rooms at this hotel on the eighth floor in July 2013, one week after it opened. On the plus side it's right next to the main Brighton Station (only 55 mins from central London) and we noticed no noise from the station or anywhere else come to that.
The hotel being new was clean, comfortable beds, air-con and had a good bar/breakfast area near the reception. The service was efficient and friendly, except at the reception where brusk was the order of the day. If you've prepaid for breakfast, make sure you point this out on arrival otherwise you may end up being asked to pay twice.
We paid the £7.95 for the 'all-you-can-eat' buffet breakfast and expecting the usual stodge were pleasantly surprised with well cooked 'English' options as well as a good selection of tasty croissant, jams, juice etc.for continental. If hotel fare is not for you there is a great little sit down French style café just around the corner in Queen Street called Cocoa that does fabulous croissant and coffee.
Only down side is it's a fifteen minute walk to the beach (all down hill & get the bus back) and the shower was of the super hot or cold variety - not much in between).
If you're travelling by car beware as the hotel has no parking and the car parks are seriously expensive for over night parking. We parked in the small residential roads behind the Business school (BN2 4BF post code) for free, then walked the short distance down to the Lewis Road and got a 25 bus into town for £2 - bargain.
To sum up great hotel for the price, I would definitely stay here again - air-con was a blessing while we were here. Have to also say we had a great meal at a restaurant called Bills, book if its the weekend though.

Room Tip: We were on the eighth floor and got no noise, that maybe on all floors though. Check in and check o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dominic S, General Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such an indepth review on line. It is great to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and that you were pleasantly surprised with our great buffet offer. Although I was also happy to read your comments regarding the service in the restaurant I was disappointed that this was not your experience in FO. I have since refocused the entire team to ensure a consistent level of service throughout the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel soon. Kindest regards, Dominic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed on 25th July for 1 night and paid £60 each for 2 double rooms (for 3 people 1 couple and 1 single).

Firstly, the rooms are very clean, a good size, the bed is very large and comfortable and the bathroom is a reasonable size and personally I found the shower to be very good! The shower head has variable settings (twist it) so perhaps the people complaining had it set to something strange. The room also had a reasonably sized flat screen TV (freeview channels) with a small handy digital clock at the bottom, tea/coffee facilities, a hairdryer, spare pillow and 3 towels (2 large 1 small hand towel). There is also 24 hours free WIFI (on providing your email address) for guests which was nice.

We drove but the parking was not an issue as the website DOES say that it is offsite and you have to pay for it. I agree with the post below that the cheapest car park in the area is the Trafalgar at £15 for 24 hours but the closest to the hotel is the £25 for 24 hours NCP. However, the hotel is ideally located for people getting the train - it is quite literally a 1 minute walk in a straight line out of the station - just walk out of the station in the direction of the sea and it's on the left!

Now for my little gripes:
When we arrived there were a few people waiting to be checked in, one of our group was told by the security guard that there was no queue and people were just sort of gathered and stepping up to the desk when they thought it was their turn - this seemed very strange when there is ample space for a queue to be formed!
Upon checking in we had to complete a form with our details (name, address, phone number etc) which again seemed very strange as I had already provided this information when I made the reservation!
And despite making the booking for 2 rooms at the same time on the same booking we were 4 floors apart - not an issue for us at all - but again very strange!

So ultimately - comfortable, clean, modern-looking hotel which is fabulous for the pre-booked rate of £60 per double room but the checking in process does lack some logic as far as I could see.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a descriptive review online. I really appreciated all of your feedback and have noted your comments regarding the check in process. I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the hotel soon. KIndest regards, Dominic
Casorzo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed 2 nights just after it opened. I am an Accor business guest card holder but none of my details had been printed ready for me, there was no special welcome gift, the air con only gave hot air until the engineers reset the electronics, and my alam call for 7am failed to happen.

I stay in Ibis hotels all over Europe. This is the worst stay ever which for a brand new hotel is frankly unacceptable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. As one of our valued loyalty card members, I am truly sorry that we were not able to deliver on our customer promise, despite the IT issues. We do very much value your custom and should you give us the opportunity to welcome you back, I would appreciate it if you contacted me directly so that I may personally see to your reservation. My email address is h6444-gm@accor.com. Kindest regards, Dominic
Croydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on the 24th of July, location is excellent as we caught the train down to Brighton and it was only a 100m walk to the hotel.

I had paid for the reservation online, and it took 3 staff members and an hour of my time for them to figure out the reservation. I had received booking confirmations from the hotel.com website I had booked through and the money had been taken out of my account.
Finally we were given our room keys.

The room was tidy, the bathroom was tiny and the house keeper was rude when we asked for an extra towel as there was 3 of us staying in the room. Check out time was at 12pm, but the housekeeping staff knocked on our door at 8.30am and then knocked again at 9am!

Upon check out I was once again questioned about the payment of my booking! Overall the room was clean but the hotel needs to sort out its partnership with online booking providers and the customer service.

• Stayed July 2013
Dominic S, General Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review online. Although you were quite generous with your rating, I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the service provided. We have been having some teething issues with our IT, but I would have anticipated this shortfall to be compensated by good service, which is not the case. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your experiences on check in, with housekeeping and then finally on departure. I will feeback your comments to the team to ensure they always deliver the standards of service we have come to pride ourselves on in Ibis. I hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and return to the hotel to see a marked improvement in our service. Kindest regards, Dominic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Waited out the front until everyone else got there to check in, security kept hovering around me when all I was doing was sitting there. Then took an hour and 4 staff members to actually check in. House keeping didn't give us enough towels twice. And started knocking on our door at 8am while we were still sleeping to clean our room. Security at the door for the duration of our stay stood in the doorway and almost tripped one of the people we were staying with over. Weren't welcoming, treated like a criminal I wouldn't stay there again even if it was free

• Stayed July 2013
Dominic S, General Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I was very disappointed to read about your experiences throughout your stay and for that I am sincerely sorry. As we are brand new hotel, we have security on site to ensure all of our guests feel safe and secure and on this occasion we have let you down. Having spoken directly with the security, it was never his intention to make you feel unwelcome or like a criminal and he has assured me he will do his utmost to ensure this does not happen again. I havenoted your feedback regarding housekeeping and will be sharing this with the Head Housekeeper to avoid future occurence. We do value your custom and should you give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, may I ask that you contact me directly on h6444-gm@accor.com, so that I may personally look after your reservation. Kindest regards, Dominic
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

As others have said the parking is an issue.
I booked the hotel after seeing there was parking on the web site only to find that it costs £25 at the NCP North Road for overnight stays. Actually it's £25 for over 4 and up to 24 hours.

The room being brand new was good with excellent air conditioning, however the showering in the morning was miserable because the water flow rate has been severely restricted.

The breakfast was reasonable but poorly arranged, you have to balance your plate on one container whilst opening another to put the food on the plate.
They could not accept payment by American Express saying it hadn't been set up. Poor excuse.
Also I never received my Club Accor points which was one of the reasons for staying there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us and post your comments on Tripadvisor. Please accept my apologies regarding the confusion with the Parking. Although we do have parking symbol as one of our facilities on the landing page, it is only when you scroll across the icon that it states "Public Indoor Parking (paying)". I have also noted your comments regarding the breakfast and have since sorted the issue regarding Amex payments. Please do contact me directly on h6444-gm@accor.com so that I can ensure your Le Club Accorhotel points are credited to your card. I sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Kindest regards, Dominic
Sevenoaks, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed 22 July 2013. First. There is a parking garage just 5 minutes away off Trafalgar Street. Please be aware that the gates are always closed and are activated as you drive close to the entry gates!! Cost is £15 per 24 hours which is cheap in Brighton. The hotel is located between the station and the first road down (frederick place) on the left hand side on departing from the station. The hotel is new and we experienced no difficulties whatsoever. All our contacts with staff boith on the phone and in person at reception were professional and friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and the bed is large and exceptionally comfortable. the bathroom is in one corner of the room by the door and very satisfactory the airconditioning is awesome as we stayed on possible the hottest day of the year.
The bathroom door closes with a ball catch and could be a noise issue in the night. We left the door slightly ajar There was no noise from outside or in the hotel and we had a very good nights sleep. Did not try the breakfast (£7.95) as we opted to buy a couple of muffins and have them with coffee in the room with coffee. Overall highly recommended and a good value hotel. Cos for us £62 per night for a room for 2

Room Tip: We were on 9th floor on one side and my son on the other side with a sea view! in the distance
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed review on Tripadvisor and rating us with 5 stars overall. It is always a pleasure to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and the staff delivered a professional, friendly service and were helpful. Trafalgar Street Car park is by far the best option when coming by car to the hotel, not only because of the ease of access, but also due to the 24 hour rates being £7 cheaper than the next closest car park. I have also noted your feedback regarding the bathroom door catch and will monitor this to ensure it does not create any disturbance during the night. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel soon. Kindest regards, Dominic

Been to Ibis Brighton City Centre? Share your experiences!