“Good falafel but....” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good falafel but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

So a new falafal place has opened up in Brighton.

FilFil offers very authentic falafel wraps, but I felt that the slightly disorganised and slow service distracted from the tasty food and friendly welcome.

The staff (owners?) behind the counter seemed too preoccupied chatting to people, which is great, but maybe they should be focussing a little more on speeding up customer service as there was a queue of people waiting to be served.

I also couldn't see half of the menu as it is on the front of the cupboards, so if the cupboards are open you don't know what to order!

It is a real shame as the decor is cool and fresh, but what's the point of nice decor if you don't serve enough people to fill the space and pay your bills?

On a side note, the takeaway wrap also leaked all over my trousers, so I was forced to go back to work and eat it with a knife and fork. Not a very successful takeaway!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Geneva, Switzerland
“Genuine Middle-Eastern food ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had a very warm and hospitable welcome (and were even offered the lemonade when they had forgotten to add it to the bill). The mezze was plentiful and genuine, home-cooking delicious! Worth a detour!

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Excellent falafel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went in here on a spur of the moment at the weekend. I'm glad we did. The staff were very friendly explaining and suggesting what to have. We opted for some halloumi, hummous and dolmades. They also gave us some free falafel and aubergine. I have to say it was really tasty. Highly recommended. The falafel was just perfect. They were also very friendly in here. We will definitely be back.

Visited September 2013
Essex
“Busy in a busy street”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was with a chum on a fleeting visit to Brighton and we wanted a quick bite and he wanted vegetarian. We walked along the Lanes with all their hippy outlets and ethnic food. Some of these have gone a bit up market to cater for regular tourists but we picked on one that was more authentic; Fil Fil Falafel Co.
It’s a small café where you look at the menu on a board, place and pay for you order at the counter and watch your food being prepared. I was asked whether I wanted garlic or chilli with my falafel and waited a few minutes for a wrap filled with very healthy Mediterranean ingredients including yoghurt and cous-cous. We could have eaten in the café but went outside where there were tables and chairs in the street.
It was very good value although the yoghurt dripped out from the bottom of the wrap on to my jeans.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hove, United Kingdom
“Tasty falafels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Very friendly service, large helpings of freshly made falafel and salad. Good children's menu, clean and bright surroundings. Can't find anything to fault! I have been about four times now and I am never disappointed.

• Visited September 2013