“Fab pottery cafe, lovely service and great fun!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 244 things to do in Brighton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Painting Pottery Cafe has been helping children and adults create their own masterpieces since 1999. Located in the North Laine area of Brighton just a few minutes walk from the train station, its the ideal place to spend quality time with friends and family. Pay a £5 studio fee and then choose from over 200 items ranging in price from £4-£40. Use Acrylic paints for decorative pieces and take away the same day. On your own or with a group you can spend a couple of hours in a fun creative environment.Or maybe you fancy having a go at throwing a pot? Or getting the baby's prints in plaster? Or after inspiration or wanting a souvenir from local artists.Birthday celebrations, hen excursions, office gatherings, Christmas parties, school outings, youth groups - you don't need an excuse, and over two floors there is plenty of space to have fun! Booking advisable.
“Fab pottery cafe, lovely service and great fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My sister and I took our 7m old babies to the painting pottery cafe to make some baby footprint keepsakes. We had such a warm welcome and were able to easily look after/feed/change our babies whilst in the cafe. We were given lots of tips on what to paint and how and helped to get the babies feet painted which is not an easy task! Such a lovely morning, I can highly recommend. Lovely coffee and muffins too!

“An entertaining and creative way to spend an hour or half a day.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The painting cafe offers the opportunity to paint a variety of pottery designs in colourful glazes which are then fired to create unique items, ideal for presents or a lasting memory of Brighton.

There is a wide variety of items to choose from ranging from cups and saucers, plates, bowls and oneoff teapots to clay monkeys, tardis' and intricate dragons. Boring as we were we chose the practical mug option.

The staff were very helpful, friendly and knowledgable and made the experience really enjoyable. They were fantastic with the various children who came in the shop while we were there, offering tips and tricks on how to achieve the designs they wanted. They had folders full of pattern and design ideas and we had little clue of what to paint before we went in but it might be good to have a plan or take along your own design.

They serve hot and cold drinks while you paint at a reasonable price. It would have been quite nice if one was complimentary if you were paying to paint.

Firing of the items can take a few days so allow time before a birthday or the end of your visit for this. They will post the items for £3 upwards if you can't collect.

The prices range from £13 for a medium size mug to £30 ish for an ornate teapot so we felt a bit on the steep side along with a £5 studio charge to cover paints and materials. However for a unique customised gift for someone it doesn't seem too bad.

I really enjoyed the time at the painting cafe and would definately recommend it to anyone visiting or living in Brighton with time to fill.

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Half Term visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My little boy and I came in last Monday and spent a lovely quiet couple of hours painting a couple of mugs and a piggy bank. There was lots of help and inspiration available from leaflets, folders and the kind and enthusiastic staff. My 8 year old was suffering with a horrible cough and cold so it was super to sit underneath the heater and enjoy a gentle creative experience, accompanied by Classic FM in the background. We will be back!

Visited February 2013
PaintingPotteryCafe, Owner at The Painting Pottery Cafe, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you - I will pass this on to the team. Don't forget to load your images of your painted pots onto our facebook page - February Gallery - to be entered into our competition.
London, United Kingdom
“Fun activity for Couples”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Spent a weekend break in Brighton with my boyfriend for our anniversary. I have painted pottery before in the States and wanted him to experience it as well. Luckily we walked right pass the cafe. It was a bit rainy so we got to spend a few hours indoors although it was a bit chilly sitting near the door. I didn't catch her name, but the staff was accommodating since we did not book ahead. They were very friendly in explaining the different techniques and even offered beverages and sweets while we painted. Towards the end I had to ask about the firing process as I overheard a date given to another customer. It would have been nice to know that we weren't going to be able to take our pieces home the same day (as I was used to). And I checked on the website when I got home to find they offered acrylic painting for same day finish. Nevertheless they were able to post them to us. Overall a great experience for us, as he had a great time! Thank you ladies!

Visited February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience. I hope your items didn’t take long in the post .

We had a lovely day that day, albeit a busy one. We are making posters as we speak so that customers will see that we have acrylics on offer, so if oldies like me forget to mention them, there will be more information available.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely way to spend a couple of hours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Came to Brighton on a girlie day and booked here to start our day. It was lovely, you can take your own drink and they really look after you. We were downstairs which was a bit chilly. Would have been nice if they had the heaters on before we arrived. Pottery is nice and there are all sorts of things to choose from however I think maybe priced a little high which limits the number of things you make. Overall though a really nice experience Hazel was very patient with a group of tiddly ladies. would definitely come again.

Visited February 2013
PaintingPotteryCafe, Owner at The Painting Pottery Cafe, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments and really happy you enjoyed your visit. We certainly need to work out how to use the timers on our radiators! Apologies for that.